Incoming Cuscadi Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Incoming Cuscadi Scales

Post by dgebler »

I finally broke down and ordered my first pair of Cuscadi scales. Funny think is they are for a knife I don't even have yet, the Yojimbo 2. I finally bought one after handling this at a show and falling in love with the ergo's. The thing is, I am an architect and although I love to carry a capable blade at all times the Yo2 looks a little too wicked IMO to carry in a business suit or slacks. That said, the beautiful hardwood scales made by Cuscadi give this scary blade a handsome, refined look that I think will make this pass for urban carry. So I went with the golden amboina and am very excited to see these on my new Yo2 which is en-route from KC now. I will make sure to post pictures as soon as I get this back. I know there are other treads to post this in, but I welcome any feedback on Cuscadi work, timeframe, etc.

-Drew
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Cuscadi make really excellent scales.
Don't know much about the shipping time to the US, but your scales should be ready to ship within one week.
Here's one of my favorite pieces, that Cuscadi did for me: a BM Minigrip in vintage look

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I've bought backspacers off them and they were very high quality and they shipped fast to me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've got Cuscadi scales on my ZDP delica, and they're very nice.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love Cuscadi work

do not like their location. Luke made my scales within few days, but it took 3-4 weeks for my scales to get to US.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Good people and good products. Here's my Mule 01 (52100) with Cuscadi scales (from "back in the day")....

Cheers
Dennis
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow! those 52100 scales look amazing Dennis!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I ordered a scale and backspacer a while back, they should be done soon, but wont spoil the surprise :)
I see, said the blind man.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Luke just sent me a picture of the finished custom Yo 2 scales made from Golden Amboina. They look incredible! What do you think?[ATTACH]23018[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Yojimbo Scales.JPG
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

They look very beautiful, but those edges also look too sharp to be comfortable in the hand.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I got this Domino this week and the previous owner got these Koa scales from Cuscadi. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it but it's a real beauty for sure.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

That yo2 is beautiful, but i'd probably want to round off the corners and ease those edges a bit.
dgebler wrote:Luke just sent me a picture of the finished custom Yo 2 scales made from Golden Amboina. They look incredible! What do you think?[ATTACH]23018[/ATTACH]
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Yea, the previous Yo2 scales I saw on the Cuscadi website looked to have a nice champher to the edges which I was thinking he would do for these as well, but I was not specific with my request.
I still think they look beautiful and can't wait to get my hands on them. If the edges are too harsh I think I could round some with a dremel, but I would probably contact Luke to discuss how to replace/repair the finish.

-Drew
bh49

Post by bh49 »

dgebler wrote:Luke just sent me a picture of the finished custom Yo 2 scales made from Golden Amboina. They look incredible! What do you think?[ATTACH]23018[/ATTACH]
Beautiful scales. I love this wood.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

sal

Post by sal »

Some really beautiful stuff.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:Some really beautiful stuff.

sal
Sir,
Are any chances for Spyderco to make more folders with wood scales? Calys are great candidates. :)

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Calys are great candidates. :)
Yes... YES they are. I would imagine that only a dymondwood would work on the caly scales dut to the thin profile. I could even accept a thicker overall shape to get a warmer scale material.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:Yes... YES they are. I would imagine that only a dymondwood would work on the caly scales dut to the thin profile. I could even accept a thicker overall shape to get a warmer scale material.
+1 to thicker profile. Damascus Caly3 is thin enough for me. Olive wood would be nice.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Drew, the wood on those Yo2 scales are just awesome! More beautiful work from Luke and co! A pleasure to deal with too!

Here's a little bit of Cuscadi Native 5 desert ironwood action (inspired by Roman of course, not nearly as cool of a pic as his though!). I'll definitely be needing some more wood scales in 2014!

Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

bh49 wrote:Sir,
Are any chances for Spyderco to make more folders with wood scales? Calys are great candidates. :)
We've had more failures than successes with wood. Usually cracking after they're in Colorado for a while, which is very dry compared to the Orient. Fall-out has been high. If we can come up with a successful formula, I'm for it as I like wood as well. But so far, not so good.

sal