Military

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Military

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone besides me not love this knife?

I've had mine in a drawer for several months, and decided to give it a fresh shot this week. I'm planning on carrying it every day this week to make sure I give it a fair trial.

So far, though, I'm remembering why it got stuck in the drawer in the first place. I don't love the liner lock, and I really don't love the fixed location clip. I think if the next version was an upsized PM2, I'd definitely like it more.

Replace the liner lock with a compression lock (or better yet, a CBBL--I know that's not likely but I can always dream, right?). Give it a 4 way ambidextrous clip. Suddenly the Millie would move from my bottom drawer to my top choice.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm sure there are others who don't like it either. Luckily, Spyderco makes other knives for those people. As one of those in the other camp (I've carried one or another of my Millies every day for more than five years) I'm in favor of leaving it just the way it is.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The biggest thing I have against it is the way the pocket clip is mounted tip down. I had two at one time the Digital Camo, Black blade and Black G10 with plain blade and traded both because of the clip. If they were to make a tip up version I might go back to it because the liner lock is my favorite lock by far. It's the only lock that will allow you to close a knife without re- positioning it in your hand.I don't like the compression lock because it pinches my hand every time I open a knife with that. I have seen videos where people held the compression lock and flipped the knife open but I just open mine with the Spider hole like the other Spyderco's. I traded two PM2'S because of the compression lock. Personally I think the Military and PM both need some work because as they are now I really don't care for either one.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've heard Sal say that the next iteration of the military will have a four way clip. I can't say if I like it as is or not, but I'll tell you next week when my first Millie arrives. ;)

My main reason for wanting tip up carry is I carry iwb and use a lanyard and often attach my keys to it. The lanyard hole pointing down doesn't do me much good. I couldn't wait for a Millie 2 though, so I'm giving it a shot.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

I love it.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Military with a compression lock = HNGGGGG
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I generally like tip up carry, but I have found that with larger knives (Millie included) I can open them quicker and easier if they are tip down. Instead of having to "scootch" my hand up the knife to open it, I just give it a quick twirl and my hand is basically already in the right position. Some of you may understand what I'm trying to say... :D
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Millie with a 4 way clip would be nice.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've tried very hard to like the compression lock. I can't claim much success.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

While it would be interesting to try a knife like the military with some of the different features mentioned above, I am completely satisfied with the Millie in its current configuration. I think the tip down carry works well for a knife this size and the ergonomics are unsurpassed in my book. I do like compression locks a lot but they have really got the liner lock dialed in on the Military. I've yet to use one that wasn't rock solid.

Erybody likes they own kinda knife though and there are lots of flavors to choose from.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm in the "if you don't like it, buy another knife" camp.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I love the Millie just the way it is. I say keep her the same. :) The only Spydie I ever traded was my beloved Millie CE in CPM-440V. Sigh. I've always missed that knife...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

I too love the Military, definitely my favorite Spydie.

For what it's worth I owned one (since been sold) that was modded with a tip up clip, it only confirmed that tip down on this knife is the best way to go!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I like liner locks
So no big deal for me!
Would prefer tip up though
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

It is a great knife as is, but not for me. Just too big for my EDC. Strangely I like but not love the Millie, but can't stand the PM2. But as I always say re: the PM2 "that just means more for the rest of y'all!" I gifted my pop a Millie for his yard/hunting season and he enjoys it. IF a lock change came to the Millie I would much prefer a CBBL to a Comp since the PM2 all seem to develop blade play potentially
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

To be fair (and I think this is why I bothered posting), I love:

The ergonomics of the grip and;

The size of the blade.

Some knives are just "not for me".

The military is so close to being "for me" that I would really like some way to change the parts that aren't.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Surfingringo wrote:I've heard Sal say that the next iteration of the military will have a four way clip.
Just that would make me buy one when they are released. I definitely don't love the liner lock, but 1 out of 2--I'll take it.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

I also would like the option of a Military 2 with a compression lock and 4 way clip. I recently spent a whopping $42 to try a Resilience and it confirms my preference for tip up even in larger folders. Having bought two PM2's and a Superleaf also this year has really wet my desire for more compression lock models, so from my viewpoint it would be a very welcome addition to the lineup.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Other than it is a little scary to the faint of heart. I love everything about it I love the liner lock, love the grip, love the ffg. I love the Mili!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Spydesense wrote:I generally like tip up carry, but I have found that with larger knives (Millie included) I can open them quicker and easier if they are tip down. Instead of having to "scootch" my hand up the knife to open it, I just give it a quick twirl and my hand is basically already in the right position. Some of you may understand what I'm trying to say... :D
Yes, I've been doing it that way for a long time. I generally don't buy tip-up knives for that reason, unless I just can't resist them. I recently moved and I've been doing a lot of cutting boxes and cutting tape, using my Manix 2 (tip up only). I can open it fast and close it fast, except that it comes out of my pocket in the wrong position. If I really want to open it fast I pull it out, toss it up in the air to rotate it, catch it in the right position and open it. Probably not the most secure way to handle your knife in some situations. Every tip-down knife that I own is easier and faster to open.

I've been using linerlocks for a long time and I don't mind them at all, but now I seem to have a lot of other types such as BBL, compression lock and the lock by another company that looks a bit like the BBL. The BBL is quick and easy to close. I don't mind the liner lock but with a broad-bladed knife like the Spyderco Tenacious you have to be careful or you'll nick your thumb occasionally.

I dont own a Military but I have plenty of other knives of similar size. I'm trying to get one of the Cruwear Militaries but that will take a little luck. Today I was carrying a PM2.