Hello everyone, new here! How hard will it be to track down discontinued knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
animportant

Hello everyone, new here! How hard will it be to track down discontinued knives?

Post by animportant »

I'd like to introduce myself! I've been a long time lover of small pocket gadgets, especially knives. (Though I used to be more interested in swiss-army tools) (Boooo I know haha) So a couple friends started collecting knives, and I had to join. I've always loved the Spyderco designs, and figured one day I'd get one.

I picked up a Blue G-10 Persistence, as well as a Sage 1. Now I'm addicted!

I have a couple ideas for future knives, but I don't want to let this hobby get out of control, and I don't want to do it all at once. My budget is limited, but I'm willing to spend some money here and there to improve my new "collection" .. dammit didn't want to start any new collections. Some ideas of mine (In order of what I want the most to what I can do without) are the Sage 4, g-10 Foliage Delica, Shokwe, Manix XL, Vollaton, the Micarta Persian, Sage 3, Sage 2 (Would be cool to have the whole Sage series might just do that and call it quits)..

About how hard would it be to track down the knives that are discontinued? In particular the g-10 foliage Delica, as well as the Micarta Persian?

I appreciate hearing back on this topic, and look forward to being part of this forum!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

There is a whole physical and digital world to search. It is not easy to find the older models as you might expect. Some grails can take years or more to find. There is no buying, selling or trading threads allowed in this forum, but there are others that have sections devoted to it. I will send you a private message with some suggestions on where to look.

Welcome to the forum!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi animportant,

Welcome to the forum. :) Looks like you've already got a good start to your Spydie collection--and yes, collecting Spydies is an extremely addictive hobby. :D

As for tracking down vintage/discontinued Spydies, the best thing to do is post a few WTB/WTT adds over at BladeForums or a similar site and specify exactly what you're looking for. Most of the knives you mentioned are still fairly easy to find using an internet search. Obvioulsy, you can also watch E-bay for some of the rare/vintage Spydies. In my personal experience, however, you may end up paying a bit more by bidding on E-bay than what you had originally anticipated. :o It seems to me that there are far more people looking for rare/discontinued Spydies nowadays than there were even five to ten years ago. I will say this, though. Finding a rare/discontinued Spydie is always a very rewarding experience. :D

Good luck!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
animportant

Post by animportant »

Thanks for the warm welcome and informative responses!! I'll sign up on bladeforums and start looking for that g-10 delica. Realistically I want that, the Sage 4, and the Chokwe, which are mostly available on bladehq.

Any suggestions or personal favorites of yours?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Welcome,

I was once in your shoes as well. The sheer number of Spyderco models and variants can be overwhelming to a new collector. Hundreds of hours can be spent simply reading, researching and shopping. When I was new to Spyderco, I went nuts simply trying to buy any Spydie I found appealing. While that was fun for a while, I found there was no real structure to that. I might suggest you pick a theme or a series to start off with and try collecting those. Like the Sage series you mentioned. That would be good, because there are not that many of them (4) and they are readily available still. Other series are available as well, like the Delicas, Manixes or the Calypso series. Some people choose to collect all knives from a specific maker, like all of Ed Schempp's knives. Some people choose to collect all orange handled Spydercos. And others choose to collect all Spydercos that have carbon fiber handles. The sky's the limit and the choice is yours. Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
animportant

Post by animportant »

I think the Sage series is the only series I'd consider having each of, since they offer such different knives, each with a different lock and handle material. Best of all, I can legally carry a 3 inch blade pretty much everywhere. (Except work)

Just checked out your collection... :eek: very nice!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! Sage 1 is a good choice.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Run! Run fast and run far! Once you start, you won't be able to stop! ;)

About three years ago, I bought my first Spydie (A Caly 3 in Carbon Fiber). I had NO intention of being a "collector." Now I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 Spydies. Addictive?? Naaaaaaaa!

The Sage series is a good one. I've got all four.

The Manix 2 and Paramilitary 2 are also favorites that come in a variety of flavors.

I'm also partial to carbon fiber. Damascus steels are pretty cool, IMO.

My newest "favorite" is the hot-off-the-presses Domino.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

racer88 wrote:Run! Run fast and run far! Once you start, you won't be able to stop! ;)

About three years ago, I bought my first Spydie (A Caly 3 in Carbon Fiber). I had NO intention of being a "collector." Now I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 Spydies. Addictive?? Naaaaaaaa!

My newest "favorite" is the hot-off-the-presses Domino.
I started with the Caly 3CF too, fancy that. Now after 2 years I have about 20 knives and my newest acquisition (other than the Forum knife) is the Domino ... **** that Caly3.

Welcome to the forum animportant!
K1W1

Post by K1W1 »

You really have to hunt and look in every nook and cranny! Ebay, forum classifieds, Craigslist, and pawn stores/yard sales. I recently found a E4 G10 on CL. I too would really like to find a D4 G10 (to go with my E4!)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Depends where you are too , some places are easier to find than others , a recent thread posted a member walked into a store and found a shed load of discontinued models.
We don't have the ebay option where I am so that means prices are higher but the hard models still come up .
Here the Hossom are hard to find I had someone ask mr Hossom himself no banana but since have been offered two.
Only problem was I never had the funds the Vallotton you have on your list is one I'd get just to see that when Spyderco get it right they get it right like no other IMO .
animportant

Post by animportant »

Yea I'm not sure id be willing to swing the money for the valloton though, maybe one day
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

animportant wrote:Yea I'm not sure id be willing to swing the money for the valloton though, maybe one day
As everyone here knows by now as I constantly bang the £ drum we pay much more here I paid $296 as we have no choice .
Even at that price its worth it IMO I am by no means wealthy I do without to get my knives , the way I see it is the Vallotton .
Is a few nights on the town and a Neal in a restaurant but instead I have something to show I know its hard if you actually don't have the income .
But if its a matter of balancing , then don't go to the bar or buy cheaper things for a few months to save you'll have something that will out last you .
As its the same for all knives I point out Spyderco charges no more to us its just our greedy government taxing us .
But where I used to buy a $200 sweater I now buy a $100 one and save for a knife the cloths will wear out a collection of knives if cared for wont .
And you can always get a fair price back on a quality knife good luck although there's nothing wrong with choosing just the cheaper range.
The only spyderco family I own all of I'd the Tenacious bar the blue as it never made it here via our dealers only through private import which risks seizure of legal knives through incompetent customs staff :( .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd suggest that, f you want the Chokwe, you should get it now. A number of dealers have it in stock but it has been discontinued, so it will never be easier to find than it is today and may never be less expensive either.

The two discontinued models are both hard to find and generally fetch premium prices when they do turn up for sale. Best bets, as already mentioned are eBay and the BladeForums Exchange. eBay is the easiest, as you can set up search criteria, save them, and be emailed whenever the item gets listed. In the mean time, I'd suggest you fill in the blank in the following sentence, "The absolute most I'd ever pay for a G-10 Delica is $_________." then put that much, plus 10%, away earmarked for the day you find one at a price you can live with. Do the same for the C83 Schempp Persian.

The rest of your list are all in current production, at least for the time being, so there's less need for quick action. Get whichever appeals to you the most as funds become available.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
animportant

Post by animportant »

On another note. How do you guys care for your knives? Any proffered method of cleaning lubing and sharpening?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Welcome to the Forum. Welcome to addiction. Welcome to a passion.
animportant wrote:Shokwe,
If you are looking for Chokwe, check Sierra. Subscribe to their dealflyer. They will e-mail you 30% off + free shipping on order over $100 coupon code. chokwe will be under $120 shipped.
animportant wrote:On another note. How do you guys care for your knives? Any proffered method of cleaning lubing and sharpening?
Clean it, if it get dirty. Lube it, if necessary. Sharpen. I am using sharpmaker for the last eight years. It is a great tool. Recently added WE for repair and reprofiling. It is fairly expensive, but very easy to use and I am very satisfied with results so far.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

animportant wrote:On another note. How do you guys care for your knives? Any proffered method of cleaning lubing and sharpening?
Just clean them off when they get dirty. If you have to clean the insides just use dish soap and water, rinse them off, then take some compressed air and blow out the water left inside especially around the pivot area. Follow up with some lube in the pivot area, use sparingly. My lube of choice for my spydercos is Ballistol. There are other lubes that will do just as well but I have Ballistol on hand to clean and lube my guns and it works for knives so that's what I use.

Sharpening, probably the most important thing you can do. I recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker, it comes in a nice self contained little kit, very portable. I bought the two extra rods to make it a complete sharpening system. The Diamond rods and the Ultra Fine rods. Also I recommend a decent strop, this is great for maintaining your edges so you don't have to break out the Sharpmaker too often. I use this one from Knife Plus

Welcome to the Forum animportant. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon