Looking for a small(er) EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roosters Tackle

Looking for a small(er) EDC

Post by Roosters Tackle »

Hey guys,
I've got an Endura4 right now. It's been a great knife but am looking for something smaller. I work at a university and while carrying a pocket knife is completely kosher, the Endura is kind of intimidating to some people.

I was thinking the Delica4 or the Dragonfly2. I'm open to other knives as well. Just would like y'alls advice on which one to pick up. Also, if you know of another model that would suit my needs, please suggest.

My EDC's aren't used often and mainly are just used to open misc.things at the office.

Thanks
Mitch
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Those are both good choices. So are the Pingo, Cricket, Air, Honeybee (maybe) Chicago, Cat, Ambitious . It's a proven fact that colored handles draw less negitive attention from sheeple.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would suggest either of the two you mentioned for office EDC. I love both and have carried both in the capacity you describe. I might consider the Caly 3 if I was in your position and I have heard great things about the Chaparral.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Go for Delica FFG .Best choice.
Tabo

Post by Tabo »

I would vote for the Dragonfly. It acts like a big knife but is so light and carries so well in the pocket.
Roosters Tackle

For those that have handled/carried both the Delica and Dragonfly - what are the differences? How do they handle differently?
Thanks
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Chaparral. Without a doubt my recommendation. The others are good also but the Chaparral is the best choice IMO. Very comfortable, thin, beautiful, excellent blade steel. There are 3 of them priced between about $100.00, $180, $361.00.
Holland

Post by Holland »

chaparral 1 or 2!!! cant say this enough, its my favourite knife! incredible F&F, super steel, internal stop pin, simply incredible
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I work at a university as well, and for around the office I carry a pink Squeak with the clip removed in my pocket, or one with a clip in my bag (I went nuts and bought four of them.) For opening packages and whatnot it is much more than I would ever need in this setting.
arty

Post by arty »

In a university office setting, you should be using a knife with a smaller blade, no larger than the Chaparral. I highly recommend the Chaparral for this use, or perhaps the Dragonfly. Check the school's policy on weapons on campus. In some states, a knife with a blade of 3" is classified as a weapon and should not be on campus.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Techno and Chaparral are a bit easier to hold while using than a Dfly, and the wire clip models are a bit less conspicuous when clipped in a pocket than the D4 and E4.
Actually the king of pocket subtlety in my stable is the PPT with an excellent deep carry clip that looks like a pen and extremely good ergos for everything including food prep.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Roosters Tackle wrote:For those that have handled/carried both the Delica and Dragonfly - what are the differences? How do they handle differently?
Thanks
I think you'll find that the delica feels (and may draw negative reactions) like a full sized knife, despite being smaller than the endura. For me it offers a full four finger grip and more reach than you need for opening things, the Dragonfly 2 would fill that role perfectly. I love the Dragonfly grip, a choil is perfect for light cutting tasks and you get a full grip in a roughly 1 ounce package, it really burrows into your hand.

If you want to use the knife to eat, the Dragonfly is too small, but even the delica can't reach across an average orange/apple, so you could keep the endura put away should the need arise.
Roosters Tackle

Thanks guys,
Just ordered a Dragonfly, and hey, if it isn't 'perfect' I can always try another model.
Thanks
Mitch
Roosters Tackle

Oh yeah, I live and work in Texas. We have quite liberal laws and rules in regards to carrying a pocket knife. It's just the sheeple as previously mentioned.
Mitch
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

All great suggestions.

I've said this before but I carry a CF Balance a lot and it handles most every thing I typically need it to do.

Ken
玉鋼
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Congrats on the dragonfly! I carry one daily along side my pacific salt.
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

Dragonfly in zdp
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Caly 3 or 3.5 is absolute best for edc.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jackknifeh wrote:Chaparral. Without a doubt my recommendation. The others are good also but the Chaparral is the best choice IMO. Very comfortable, thin, beautiful, excellent blade steel. There are 3 of them priced between about $100.00, $180, $361.00.

X2.. YEP!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

My wife works at a university and she chose a G10 dragonfly to carry on her while at work. She uses the heck out of it and I find her carrying the knife most everywhere we go now unless it has been handed over to me for a good sharpening. I think you made a great choice. The six years I worked at the university I typically carried by Caly3 in CF/ZDP189 and it handled any task I came across without raising sheeple eyebrows.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10