Spydercosales.com

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ISUSteve

Spydercosales.com

Post by ISUSteve »

I'm about to drop a good amount of money for a knife a Spydercosales.com. I can't find any mention of them on any forum, good or bad, so that worries me. They have the knife I want as "available," and they are the only site I've found that has it.

Is Spydercosales.com a reputable dealer or should I stay away?

Thanks!

Steve
Clip

Post by Clip »

Pay with Paypal and just watch closely, if they have lots of hard-to-find or discontinued models at great prices I'd be wary. If it's too good to be true, etc.

However, their site looks decent and I'd probably take a chance, maybe by calling and ordering.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

They look cool but yes exercise carefulness.

bdblue

Post by bdblue »

ISUSteve wrote:Is Spydercosales.com a reputable dealer or should I stay away?
I don't think I've heard of them being mentioned before on this forum or other forums. they could mean they are not a real dealer, or it could mean that they are just new.

resellerratings.com doesn't have anything on them, I couldn't find any random chatter on the net for them, but it seems that they might be new
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess you could always dispute the charge via paypal or credit card. My question is if they have some of the things they say they have. For example, they list the Friction Folder in stock and I can't find that at the major places like Knifecenter or eBay (a good place to see if ANYONE has them).

Is there any other place that can help you out? GPknives, Knifecenter, Cutleryshoppe, New Graham Knives, Sierra Trading Co, Knifeworks, etc?
ISUSteve

Post by ISUSteve »

I've checked all them and they are all out. It's a Manix XL black blade.

I went ahead and placed an order from Paypal. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back. I'll call tomorrow and see what they say about if my order shipped or not.
ISUSteve

Post by ISUSteve »

Nevermind, I sent my payment and Paypal gave an error about merchant cannot take payment. I'll just take that as a sign to wait for dealer I've heard of.
Holland

Post by Holland »

ya thats not a good sign, i wouldnt risk it...

Welcome to the forums!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

This company was linked the other day either here or on bb can't recall .
But they are sailing close to the wind IMO with the name and from a comment made I don't think they have Sals blessing.
I'd personally bring it up with the trademark myself if I were sal , as unless they are using a loophole its infringement .
A friend of mine had a similar issue when having a company brand trademarked and a site on the net selling things , its best to use a company which will buy up all the domain name rights , my friend had a company set up a online store like the above in his company name was involved .
It got a lot of bad press and people lost faith , he tried to get it shut down and ended up paying thousands to do so .
That's how a lot of them operate , set up a company trade appallingly knowing it will come back to the real company.
Who then buy the name out to stop the rot , I'm not saying this has happened I'm sure Sal and his team are very astute but I'd stay well away.
I got a warning as I use the Internet for my wife's business online , when I logged on it flashed up warning unsafe/unkown site or something similar .
You guys have , Howes , Knifeworks , knifecenter etc all trustworthy dealerships worth the wait just good that PayPal alerted you.
I did something similar tracked down a Hossom clicked pay pal which then said temporarily unavailable I was tempted to buy with a card.
However googled them and found them to be con merchants here in the uk there is trustpilot a scheme where people vote for their online experience .
Everytime I buy now I look for what it is I want then go through trustpilot never had a bad deal yet .
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

It is showing "site untested" and "security information not available" running through Norton. It looks like they are in Vancouver, Canada and got the domain name in January 2013. Best to stay clear of them, especially with all the other trusted dealers that have already been mentioned. Glad you didn't get burned.
:spyder:
Dan
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Be careful with that site, I emailed them last month about a cru-wear military preorder and never heard back.
The site seems great, so its even stranger still that no one has heard of them...

You could contact spyderco :spyder: to confirm their dealer status perhaps?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. For me, the lack of either a phone number or a physical address on any commercial website is a red flag. Their site has neither, which is definitely not a good sign. They say they're in AZ, but they could be anywhere in the world.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ISUSteve wrote:Nevermind, I sent my payment and Paypal gave an error about merchant cannot take payment. I'll just take that as a sign to wait for dealer I've heard of.
Not taking paypal isn't that important. Example: cutleryshoppe.com doesn't use paypal but are as reputable as you can get. Many here will agree with that.

I recently made a purchase on a site I've never seen or heard about. Not to be negative but it was about as bad an experience I've had with inet purchasing. I did get the knife but it took over 3 weeks because it was out of stock and I needed to wait for a batch to be made. That happens though but what made the deal irritating was the lack of communication. I believe that's a bad sign. Do they have a phone number you can call? I get hesitant when there is no optional way to contact them. Or, do they at least have an email listed or contact form on their site?

Hope it works out. I hate to see anyone go without a knife they absolutely need. We always absolutely need another knife, don't we. :)

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For a production knife I would just wait. If nobody has it I highly doubt they do.

If a discontinued knife the risk would make more sense, even in only slightly more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:Not taking paypal isn't that important. Example: cutleryshoppe.com doesn't use paypal but are as reputable as you can get. Many here will agree with that.

I recently made a purchase on a site I've never seen or heard about. Not to be negative but it was about as bad an experience I've had with inet purchasing. I did get the knife but it took over 3 weeks because it was out of stock and I needed to wait for a batch to be made. That happens though but what made the deal irritating was the lack of communication. I believe that's a bad sign. Do they have a phone number you can call? I get hesitant when there is no optional way to contact them. Or, do they at least have an email listed or contact form on their site?

Hope it works out. I hate to see anyone go without a knife they absolutely need. We always absolutely need another knife, don't we. :)

Jack
While I agree that a lot of reputable merchants do not take PayPal, in this particular case you missed the point, Jack. Namely, that while Spydercosales.com claims to take PayPal, a PayPal payment to them bounced. That's most definitely not a good sign.

No actual email address listed either, just an HTML "Send Mail" form. And, if it's possible to make matters worse, a WHOIS check shows the actual ownership of the site is masked behind a Domains By Proxy account. More red flags than May Day in Moscow at the height of the Cold War.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ISUSteve wrote:I've checked all them and they are all out. It's a Manix XL black blade.

I went ahead and placed an order from Paypal. We'll see how it goes and I'll report back. I'll call tomorrow and see what they say about if my order shipped or not.

Hi ISUSteve,
A great Canadian online retailer who's initials are W&W has your manix 2xl bb in stock right now. Private message me if you need more info.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ji_long

Post by ji_long »

goodplace2shop on ebay is 67 Hardware in sanford, nc. they have great prices, a pretty good stock and are an authorized spyderco dealer. I like them because they are local to me, I usuall get my shipment in 1-2 days. Not sure if they'll have what you're looking for but they're worth checking out.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:While I agree that a lot of reputable merchants do not take PayPal, in this particular case you missed the point, Jack. Namely, that while Spydercosales.com claims to take PayPal, a PayPal payment to them bounced. That's most definitely not a good sign.

No actual email address listed either, just an HTML "Send Mail" form. And, if it's possible to make matters worse, a WHOIS check shows the actual ownership of the site is masked behind a Domains By Proxy account. More red flags than May Day in Moscow at the height of the Cold War.
Sounds like a questionable site alright. And I thought I was one of the last living check bouncers. :)
ISUSteve

Post by ISUSteve »

Got one from W&W. Thanks Liquid Cobra!

Now I only need one more Spyderco and I'll be done... :p
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

ISUSteve wrote:Got one from W&W. Thanks Liquid Cobra!

Now I only need one more Spyderco and I'll be done... :p
Famous last words! :D Hang around here awhile, and you'll find lots of "just one more" knives you didn't know you needed :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)