Payroll called, lets spend it!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Everyone loves polls

Poll ended at Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Byrd
No votes
Tenacious/family
2%
Tasman
18%
Moran
10%
Street Bowie
12%
Pingo
10%
Zulu
25%
Other
14%
save
10%

Total votes: 51

Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Payroll called, lets spend it!

Post by Half Sack »

Alright :spyder: guys and gals.
I thought I was getting a call to service (I work on call so when the phone rings I assume its work) but instead it was payroll. Now for most people a payroll call is very bad, but for me it was good. Short version I've been entering pay wrong and I missed a few hours pay because of it :eek:
So, last night I was placing an order online, I can't say which models just yet but I would like advice on where to spend a bit more.... yeah I know. shhhhh
Order will be placed some time tonight, lets say midnight. Looking to spend less than $100 cad if possible

Contenders
Byrd knives x2 - I'm thinking the Crow,Robin or Meadowlark
Tenacious/other - inexpensive but great folders
Tasman plain edge - seriously want a plain edge hawkbill so this is my first choice
Moran - I want a fixed Spyder and I promised myself I'd be getting one before any more folders, gotta be satin they want more for the black. dang. Can't get the Street Beat, yet.
Street Bowie - can't get the street beat, but this seems too large for my foreseeable future, its a wishlist knife but doesn't seem like the time
Pingo - excellent travel knife, can't find the Rock Lobster
Zulu - cuz it looks cool and I can't find the RL, con expensive
Any other Spyderco or other knife.
Save..... yeah

Final choice is of course mine but this will help in my decision process. Most of these choices fill voids in my current lineup (see sig) but I've also got a standing order to buy discos or sprints, none of these are either so I may see a price drop/increase later.

So where's that payroll money going? Help me out.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am the first to vote and I just narrowed down some of your choices.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Always go with your gut. Your gut says Tasman.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey HS,
I voted Zulu because it's been discontinued and it's a very unique knife.
Fit and finish on mine is excellent.
The Anso pattern on the g10 is very grippy, and looks cool also.
The blade shape is functional with a very thin edged belly and subtle recurve.
It's different than any other Spyderco I own.
You can't really go wrong with any of your choices.
Good luck!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Holland

Post by Holland »

chaparral 1!!!!!!!!!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

ah snap!
The Zulu is disco'd that doesn't change things because it's highly priced but adds to its status.

My gut does say Tasman but being a production knife with no disco makes it just like the others, I can get it later. What I need is a 2k? budget for Spydies and I'll be sorted.

I'm so torn between what to buy (or not buy I should save) that it's worth the poll, but for this situation the forum feedback is a motivator.

BTW: Thanks for including the reasons why to buy which knife. Its not necessary but helps determine your reasoning.

Holland: the CF not the titanium correct? Yup Chaparral is a valid option, pricey but no more than the Zulu. Good choice I wouldn't have considered myself!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I voted for the Moran. I would suggest the FB01. I prefer the finer tip on the FB01 over the FB02.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I voted for the Zulu. It feels great in the hands and I've found the blade shape to be very functional. Plus, this is the time to get one if you are planning on it. They are disco'd and on sale for now. When stocks run out the price will certainly climb.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Voted Zulu wanted one I think knivesshipfree had them on offer a while back iirc.
But running the gauntlet of HMRC stupidity and them branding it a flick knife put me off importing .
Love the looks of it just wish I'd have got it before it got disco,d , then again I have all but 1 Tenacious Family so wouldn't say don't do that either :D .
Decisions , decisions let us know your call .
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

Lots of Zulu love....
I'm not buying any disco's on second market unless I love the knife, bought my Caspian that way and it was worth every penny (the penny has be disco'd in Canada btw) I haven't dived with it but gwad **** I can't see it being replaced by any other. Love that **** knife I might look into kydex so it can mold into edc....

Back to the topic, Zulu is in the lead and that's cool.
Chapman I see why you prefer the fb01 vs the the 2. I was going to go for the 02 myself (all black).
Edit: bad post I see why.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Well it says I have already voted but I haven't, I call corruption and a rigged vote, but anyways...
My next knife will be Moran. Some more knowledgeable forum members have recommended it as a solid do it all outdoors knife, which was really what I wanted from Spyderco when I poked my nose in about $1000 ago.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Something that is different from what you have.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
ji_long

Post by ji_long »

I also voted Zulu because it's discontinued. My second vote would go to a moran drop point as that will probably be my next purchase.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I said save. Just look for something that calls out to you. Don't buy a knife just because you can, IMO.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I went with Zulu just because it's discontinued. If given a choice for another practical knife that has been discontinued I would probably pick a Breeden Rescue, Superleaf, or Large Persian G10.

Have fun shopping and let us know what you get! :)
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

Minibear453 wrote:I said save. Just look for something that calls out to you. Don't buy a knife just because you can, IMO.
Nope not just because I can, but because I want :) Its been a while since I had the option due to work place shenanigans and this is likely my last set of purchases for a few months again. I've got the regular savings going on and a small amount of cash stored but this is fun money. I'd save for other discos or an upcoming sprint. But overall your right no one should buy anything just cuz and saving is the best move. My bills are all paid and other than new work pants and boots I'm good.

Buendia, not sure why you couldn't vote. Sorry brother. I'm a firm believer in the power of a vote, I wouldn't rig nothing. I'm surprised I'm not getting the Moran, great knife. I held one and other than holding the Street Beat right after I think its awesome. FB01/02 the first of the spyder fixed and still selling strong. I've got a non spyder that will fill the camp knife role or else I'd be getting it now.

Zulu got the votes and its discontinued so guess what, I'm buying the Tenacious! ha just kidding, I'm going to order the Zulu. I would've bought it a few months back anyhow so really its a good choice right now. I'll try to take pics when I get my order but I have two Byrds (both discos) some 5.11 jean cut pant(s? why do people say pant no s in their reviews...) and now the Zulu.

Honourable mentions, the Chappral, Superleaf will be knives I watch for, any disco or price drop and their mine. The Breeden and Persian I've looked at off and on, if the past 6 months had been better I'd probably have them. I almost bought the persian a few months ago with the Zulu, just never happened. Moran is inbound likely 2014, Tasman will come first. I'm thinking yellow+dye...

Anyhow guys thanks for the votes and input. Its fun and informative getting other peoples opinions.
Later!
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I had a Byrd meadowlark and it's a nice knife. The SS handle did develop some very significant blade play that I've never seen on any other Spyderco but it is a nice knife. I've seen my son's Persistance and I really do like that knife. So, from your choiced I'd vote the value family or byrd knives. The other models are superb I'm sure but none of the models called me on the phone asking me to buy them. :) Next time they call you (hidden by the payroll lady :) ), can you give them my number? :D

Sounded like you want to fill the void in your present knives so maybe some gas station cash register knives. I may be wrong but I bet you don't have many of those. :)

I was going to say put it in the bank for a rainy day but you already thought of that choice. :) Maybe this is the rainy day and it will rain Spyderco's.

Jack
Half Sack

Post by Half Sack »

I have a feeling the Zulu is going to drop a bit more by the end of the year so I might hold off. I'm seeing a few others that are in stock and worth considering, but none are disco'd so no rush.

Jack I had bought my step dad a Tenacious for fathers day last year and was very tempted to keep it. Persistence is more my size (LBK theory right).

My mini collection isn't missing too much. Things could be different with different blades materials ect but on an average day I don't feel like I'm missing much. **** I even have the R so I can look fancy when I'm all dressed up.

I do need to find a strop and pick up the diamond and ultra fine rods but I'm not rushing my Sharpmaker is doing good.

I don't have gas station knives but I do have a Gerber paraframe that needs to come back to life, and a no name brand I can't get sharp. So those kinda fill that area. ;)

I may hold off I really have a feeling that the Zulu will drop. Anyhow I've got some time to see what I want to do as long as my order is placed this week I'm good.