sprint calypso

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
endgame

sprint calypso

Post by endgame »

Got this with a couple of new knives the other day some meerkats and a lightweight Goddard.I'm am very impressed with the quality and ergos of the Calypso.I took it for spin gardening and making a pen for my tortouses.worked great no burning the smooth spine is great and the long thin blade works wonders if you have to reach in for a cut.the lightweight Goddard haven't used yet but I really light what a handled.anyone else have the calyspo sprint? How do you like it.I think it could replace my police .
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I got one when it first came out and liked it so much that I tracked down a first gen Calypso to pair/compare it with. There hasn't been a single knife in the entire Caly series that I haven't really liked. I was supprised at the size though. I've used Caly 3's for years, and have also had a couple of 3.5's. But the sprint Calypso and it older brothers are LONG knives. For some reason I didn't expect a knife that had a blade as long as a Millie, even though I had read the specs.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yea the blade is super long.I haven't found anything wrong with it.all the knives I get from overseas are allways perfect.sal really picked some great shops to have is knives made.flawless everyone.I dont want to say anything bad about Colorado but I have had some defects from the knives all were fixed and are great but I have not had one problem from a overseas blade!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

endgame wrote:Got this with a couple of new knives the other day some meerkats and a lightweight Goddard.I'm am very impressed with the quality and ergos of the Calypso.I took it for spin gardening and making a pen for my tortouses.worked great no burning the smooth spine is great and the long thin blade works wonders if you have to reach in for a cut.the lightweight Goddard haven't used yet but I really light what a handled.anyone else have the calyspo sprint? How do you like it.I think it could replace my police .
I managed to get hold of a Brown Calypso Sprint and the fit and finish is very nice. I wish it had the Dent on the release bar because it helps you go right to the release in the dark or if you're looking away and the
bottom of my thumb fits in those perfectly. Just as you mentioned the Calypso replaced both the Police and Endura in my collection as they are all close to the same thing and that helps me keep my collection within bufget as well.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have fallen in love with the Calypso sprint and am carrying it now. It carries well (nice and slim profile in the pocket) and gives a lot more blade than it seems for the size, when closed. I bought it out of curiousity and have been surprised at how much I am enjoying it. I like the choil, the handle size, and the blade shape and thickness.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I really love how smooth it opens and how nice it slices the green off thebamboo or bark of a branch.peels it off like you're peeling a apple so smooth and comfortable in you're hand.to me its the police model made to perfection but its called the Calypso.I wonder how it is with a coconut?.I got some nice fresh fluke I caught the otherday I could make a coconut buerreblanc for it.gives me a reason to buy a coconut and try it out.get back to ya!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

The Calypso family is the only way to go. The Caly 3.5 is the most comfortable knife Spyderco makes to carry on a clip. Even the Dragonfly and Sage series take up more room at the top of your pocket than the 3.5 and after you carry a Caly 3.5 for a while the Dragonfly and Sage will feel uncomfortable in your pocket.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Got one as well. Exceedingly well made, but not my cup of tea.

I think it needs jimping on the spine below the hole, which by the way feels too small to me. The handle is also too long for me, too slim (thin!), and not comfortable. It's just dang awkward to cut with in my insignificant opinion. I'd much rather use an Endura. However, there is no denying that the slim package makes for convenient carry.

I know it's a sprint run, and they tend to remain true to the original release, but the full size Calypso just screams for some changes.

Different strokes....and so on.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

For those of you who managed to track down the original black micarta version, has anyone spotted the PE variety? I understand that the SE versions were produced in much greater numbers. Endgame, you need to upgrade from that Kindle because you need to post pics of all your cool new finds. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
endgame

Post by endgame »

Its not happening soon.I wish.this is my wife's.maybe in a month or two