Paramilitary 2: What's the big deal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Paramilitary 2: What's the big deal?

Post by TomAiello »

It seems like the PM 2 is one of the hardest to get Spydies.

Can any PM 2 owners explain to me what it is that makes this specific knife so great?

I'm trying to decide if I should jump in and grab one, and I keep wondering what the advantage of the PM 2 over my SuperLeaf is. The knives just seem so similar (blade shape, locking mechanism, handle shape/ergos all look pretty similar to me). Aside from steel (and the PM 2 does seem to have superior steel, and also some sprint options with other even better choices), what is it that makes it so sought after?

Any PM 2 owners want to give me some guidance? Is this the knife I should grab next?

Thanks for any advice.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

get one
get two!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Hi Tom,

Try searching the forum. You will find many good answers to your question because it has been asked before, a number of times.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I don't know about better but I would think other than the compression lock it would be quite different than your Superleaf;

- Lighter
- Ergos are different with the longer thinner handle maybe a few more options and a little more purchase on the blade because of the shape and the jimping
- I think the lock is a little easier to get at, some say it is a little more refined, I don't know if that's true or not
- Blade is thinner probably a better slicer not as thick and robust as the Superleaf and it has a much finer tip
- Smaller in your pocket

I don't have a Superleaf so all I can compare it to is my Manix2 (which is very close to the Superleaf) and in comparison to the para2 it's really quite different. I don't know if that helped at all :)

I do love the Para2 I think it is worth owning to me its another one of those a zillion spyderco users can't be wrong knives. I usually find that when I buy I knife that is in this category (AZSUCBW) I rarely get it and go hmm well this sucks. JMO
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sometimes something is refined to the point that it's just about as perfect as it can be. There's still a few details I would change for a new Para 2 model but for the most part it's hard to find a better knife in this size/weight/price. Hype does drive popularity but it does deserve a lot of what it gets. I don't personality think it's worth what people are paying for it during this shortage and definitely not worth $900 even for the rarest sprint version but for the typical $100 you can get the standard model for it's in a class of it's own. It has enough size to do 99% of the jobs you'll need a knife for and it's fairly light while doing it. Ergonomics are excellent up until the point that if you have big hands and grip it behind the choil, your pinky might land on the point at the butt of the handle. Beyond all that the knife just hits an EDC sweet spot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Well, the Paramilitary 2 can grant wishes, cure cancer, and make you tougher then Chuck Norris.

Ok ok, It doesn't make you tougher then Chuck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Other than the really cool steels, I really have no idea to be honest.

I find the Para2 to be an ergonomic nightmare, the edge to overall length ratio is awful, the lock is on the wrong side, the lock design seems to need a lot more refinement...

So I am not sure what people see in this knife.

But as long as they keep releasing cool new steels, I'll have to keep buying them I guess.
On the hunt for...
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Snoo, bold stance. I will attempt to distract them from devouring your PM2 de-idolotry while you escape-

So theres a Buy It Now for a green para on the bay for 150$, anyone interested?

ok go, now!
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Just handle one.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Exactly, what is all of the hype about.
Knives are like women, here's an example a comparison to the PM2-Superleaf debate.

Why do people think that Kate Upton is more desirable than say Melissa McCarthy or Rosanne Barr.
Sure, a little lighter, more sleek and not as robust, a little more ergonomic, sharper out of the box,
nicer tip, lock is easier to open...and more fun, long thinner handle, generally more pleasing to the
eye, more anxious to show off to your friends, and smaller in your pocket.

Oh sure, a bit harder to get ahold of, might have to go on a waiting list and possibly never get,
but as Evil said, "refined to the point that it's just about as perfect as it can be."

and also as Evil said
.... but for the typical $100 you can get the standard model for it's in a class of it's own. It has enough
size to do 99% of the jobs you'll need a "knife" for and it's fairly light while doing it. Ergonomics are
excellent up until the point that if you have big hands and grip it behind the choil, your pinky might
land on the point at the butt of the handle. Beyond all that the "knife" just hits an EDC sweet spot.

I couldn't have summed it up any better.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

BAL wrote:Exactly, what is all of the hype about.
Knives are like women, here's an example a comparison to the PM2-Superleaf debate.
Are you suggesting that Superleaf is a Melissa McCarthy?... :eek: What about the Tuff then???... :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote: ...the lock is on the wrong side,
Hehe, I think your hand is on the wrong side of the lock. :D

In all honesty and in my opinion, the ergos are super, but I am right handed.

I especially like the compression lock security. Compare it with the conventional back-lock where you can still get minor up and down movement with the lock engaged. It's a small thing, but I find such movement in a "locked" mechanism extremely annoying.

The compression lock also allows for, not just easy and fast one hand opening (you can flick it if you like), but also easy and fast one hand closing (pinch and flick closed) in one smooth movement. Most other closing mechanisms require more than one movement to close. Additionally, your fingers are not in the blade's path when closing, compared to a liner lock for instance.

In my opinion the whole design "just works", a case of "the complete package is more than the sum of the parts".

Exotic steels and scale materials are just icing on the cake.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I like mine. It's a great medium sized folder. I understand why it's so popular. It's a well made knife with many desirable features. Mine just usually sits in a drawer though. I'd just assume grab my Military after I put my Glock 26 on my waist.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Just handle one.
See, this is the mentality that I don't get - I actually put down a carbon fiber para 2 at the factory seconds sale, after handling it, because I was more in love with other knives I had in my hand at the time and had a fixed budget. I'll still probably get one at some point, but I think the para 2 hype is a bit excessive in the internet echo chamber. It doesn't even use a wire clip!

Give me a manix 2 lightweight or g-10 full flat ground over a para 2 any day - I prefer the ergos, the weight is better, and the CBBL is awesome. If Spyderco did more full flat ground manix sprint runs in various steels, I think it would be just as popular as the para.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It wins on looks, performance and price. If it doesn't do it for you, don't force it. The PM2 doesn't have to be your favorite knife just because it seems to be the favorite of so many.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think both halves are right. You do really need to handle a knife to appreciate whether or not it's going to be as good - for you - as everyone else says it is. Once you've done that, though, if it doesn't impress you, there's no need to apologize - there are LOTS of knives in the Spyderco catalog and lots of other knife makers.
CarbonFiberNut wrote:See, this is the mentality that I don't get - I actually put down a carbon fiber para 2 at the factory seconds sale, after handling it, because I was more in love with other knives I had in my hand at the time and had a fixed budget. I'll still probably get one at some point, but I think the para 2 hype is a bit excessive in the internet echo chamber. It doesn't even use a wire clip!

Give me a manix 2 lightweight or g-10 full flat ground over a para 2 any day - I prefer the ergos, the weight is better, and the CBBL is awesome. If Spyderco did more full flat ground manix sprint runs in various steels, I think it would be just as popular as the para.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:See, this is the mentality that I don't get - I actually put down a carbon fiber para 2 at the factory seconds sale, after handling it, because I was more in love with other knives I had in my hand at the time and had a fixed budget. I'll still probably get one at some point, but I think the para 2 hype is a bit excessive in the internet echo chamber. It doesn't even use a wire clip!

The point in handling one is to be able to make a decision whether you want the knife or not. If you didn't handle it, you might have bought one online and regretted it. ;)
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Which weight do you think is better? Manix 2 LW (lighter than PM) or FFG G-10 (heavier)?

I think there is no excessive hype, it's just a knife that most people loves. Before the last Para2 CTS-204P there was five different sprint runs while Manix 2 had six FFG sprint runs (two in CPM-S30V, the steel that eventually got into full production). As has been mentioned previously, you don't have to like it just because of others' taste.

EDIT: Eight sprint runs for Manix 2 with Moonglow (two runs) and Stag Arms.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I'll let you know what the hype is about once I finally get my hands one next week.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The point in handling one is to be able to make a decision whether you want the knife or not. If you didn't handle it, you might have bought one online and regretted it. ;)
Nah, I could have sold it for a thousand dollars on fleabay :D

I just get the feeling sometimes that people act like the para2 is so amazing that anyone who touches it will instantly fall in love. It's a decent knife, but nowhere near the top of my "must-have" list.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?