Cats & dogs, companions

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

bdblue wrote:We have more than a couple of cats but we lost MY 12 year old cat 2 days ago. He lost a lot of weight suddenly back in November, the Dr. said he had lymphoma. On steroids he gained some weight and was doing well but then the disease progressed again and he lost a lot of weight. Then last week he stopped eating completely so we had to put him out of his misery.
That's the worst of it, after we put both of our Samoyeds down (although the destroyed most of our house over the years, big knuckle heads :D ) We considered never getting another pet again but we did and now we remember them with mostly fond memories :) Sorry for your loss but it sounds like it was time and you did the right thing, I am sure he would have thanked you if he could speak.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

bdblue, so sorry you lost a good friend. It is always bitter-sweet, knowing what we do and what we must do if we care about our friends & companions.

I had to do a similar thing with a friend this past December. He was on a transplant list & ran out of time. My duty to him & his family was to act on his behalf, and do what we had spoken about a year prior. He was in a coma and there was nothing left to do but tell the doctors how he wanted to go. I still miss going to lunch with him, but remember the good times we shared. Be kind to your friends, family & animals while they're still here. Time is so short.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpyderNut wrote:Image

This is Poppy, our little Maltese puppy. That’s right, 5.5 lbs of pure fury. (In her own mind, however, Poppy believes she’s part Doberman, part Great Dane, and half lion). Poppy suffers from what some folks refer to as “Small Dog Syndrome.” In other words, Poppy feels it necessary to challenge any living creature that she encounters—including dogs five times her size. I once even saw her take on an enormous praying mantis in the back yard. :eek: No kidding. She’s a real sweetheart, though. Not spoiled at all. I promise. ;)
She doesn't look spoiled at all, I bet she has to forage for her own food :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DRKBC wrote:She doesn't look spoiled at all, I bet she has to forage for her own food :D
Ha ha! Right. ;) She tries to sound all fierce and tough, but she's all bark and no bite. The only foraging she does is in the kitchen when I'm making lunch. She loves to beg for goodies. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Saw the post on another thread about the turtle a guy found, his son had caught and released it many years ago. The turtle is still fine.

Here's a picture of our box turtle named "Dude" who lives the the front yard. He (she?) sleeps from October until June each year, then wakes up hungry & thirsty. Likes BBQ chicken, burgers & dark cherries (an omnivore). Knows his way around the yard, hangs out with our old cat on the front porch, and likes a walk in the rain this time of year. Never thought I'd enjoy his company as much as I do.

This is Dude enjoying a cactus fruit on the porch. Not much on table manners, more into the gusto of food.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

noseoil wrote:Saw the post on another thread about the turtle a guy found, his son had caught and released it many years ago. The turtle is still fine.

Here's a picture of our box turtle named "Dude" who lives the the front yard. He (she?) sleeps from October until June each year, then wakes up hungry & thirsty. Likes BBQ chicken, burgers & dark cherries (an omnivore). Knows his way around the yard, hangs out with our old cat on the front porch, and likes a walk in the rain this time of year. Never thought I'd enjoy his company as much as I do.

This is Dude enjoying a cactus fruit on the porch. Not much on table manners, more into the gusto of food.
Do you guys call tortoise / turtles ? do you know what breed of tortoise he is ?.
Rare for a tortoise in a hot country to hibernate they only do so if the temp drops or changes dramatically .
Here in the uk you used to get a lot of European tortoise the ones that hibernate .
Now its illegal to sell them without a license and they are rare I brought a friend one called rocky .
Unfortunately he caught a disease and died great pets very funny and full of character and live for years .
If only dogs had the same life span :( .
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I call it a turtle, but tortoise might be more correct (being an illiterate, uneducated yank, as it were). This is a "box tortoise" to be more correct, they kind which will pull its head into the shell and slam it shut if danger threatens. As far as I know, this type, being cold-blooded as all of its kin are, digs under a pine tree in our front yard and spends the time asleep, hibernating or doing whatever it is he does until it gets to be about 100 degrees f. outside again.

Once it's 100, he's up and running again for the season. Our official summer starts once Dude is moving again, until then, it is just springtime here in the desert. Yes, Dude can live a long time & he may outlast us. With the cat being about 18 it doesn't look like much of a race, Dude will most likely win this one sooner or later.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bringing this thread back. I was fortunate enough today to be able to save a life.
This handsome gentleman was in a VA shelter and only days away from being put to sleep because he was "older". He is 9-10 according to the Vet, yet he has good mobility and kidney function as well as fairly good teeth for a dog whom has never had his teeth cleaned. We rescued him and he has been adjusting well today (considering he had his berries cut off less than 36 hours ago.) He is the quietest, most mild mannered Beagle I have ever met.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Outstanding, Landon! And what a cutie! Well done, sir!

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

kbuzbee wrote:Outstanding, Landon! And what a cutie! Well done, sir!

Ken
The foster family that has housing him for the last week said he reminded them of some English gentleman or something. Very laid back, almost to a fault. I think he just needs to come out of his shell. In just a few hours you can tell he is not used to affection, because when he get a light rub on the back or scratch behind the ear, he follows me around all over the house until I repeat the action.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Thank you for rescuing that old gent. He looks like a sweet old man of a Beagle. I'm sure that once it sinks in that he's in a permanent safe place he'll return the affection.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

xceptnl wrote:Bringing this thread back. I was fortunate enough today to be able to save a life.
This handsome gentleman was in a VA shelter and only days away from being put to sleep because he was "older". He is 9-10 according to the Vet, yet he has good mobility and kidney function as well as fairly good teeth for a dog whom has never had his teeth cleaned. We rescued him and he has been adjusting well today (considering he had his berries cut off less than 36 hours ago.) He is the quietest, most mild mannered Beagle I have ever met.

Awesome beagle!! We have a beagle named Dodger and he's 11 now. best dog I've ever had.
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"