Wife knife recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Wife knife recommendation

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi folks,

I need a recommendation for a knife for my wife. She had a liner lock (a top priced brand!) that came open in her purse and she nearly cut herself. She asked me to buy her another knife. I bought her a BM mini grip but I dropped it the other day on the bed and it came open too. I never carry anything but a back lock Spyderco in my pocket for this very reason. I will carry other knife lock styles in other ways, just not in my pocket. I carry a Caly3 ZDP, and either a Manbug G10 or a Dragonfly G10 daily. They will not come open unless I want them to do so. However, she has very tiny hands (think 4'10") and cannot operate the back lock with the Boye dent, nor can she operate my old Buck 110, nor my old Puma. I have even looked about for a fixed blade with a large enough blade but not too big overall. If I can get her a Spyderco I will. What do I get her? The blade must be 3" or under.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

If it didnt have to lock I could highly recommend the UKPK, Excellent ergo's, is the dragonfly 2 a no go due to the strength of the spring?
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

How exactly did the mini-grip open up from being dropped on the bed? Just trying to picture that in my mind.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I just got a burgundy meerkat and I think they can still be had. It's a sweet Comfortable little knife with excellent retention
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

wolfgaze wrote:How exactly did the mini-grip open up from being dropped on the bed? Just trying to picture that in my mind.
I had that happen with one of my assisted opening BM's. When this happened to my wife, I did a drop test with my Mini-Grip and my 707. I was able to get them to open on average 1 out of 7 attempts dropping them on the floor and landing on a corner of the blade end. Inertia.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

razorsharp wrote:I just got a burgundy meerkat and I think they can still be had. It's a sweet Comfortable little knife with excellent retention
I had not thought of the Meerkat because it is a bit odd and a bit small. How hard is it to unlock? How hard is it to deploy? Can you snap it open from a closed position like some liner locks?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

[quote="Excellent ergo's, is the dragonfly 2 a no go due to the strength of the spring?[/QUOTE"]

I am not sure about the DF. I need to pin her down and try it. I know the Manbug is too hard. She is tiny. and her hands are very small. Also, I was hoping for at least a 2.5" blade, but...

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My wife is not into knives at all... She took my ladybug though because she thinks it's cute. She is tiny also.

I have a side table with knives out in my current rotation, she just uses whatever is there if she needs to cut something, but the ladybug she actually takes with her.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I hate carrying a SAK, so I gave one to my wife. I can use it if I need it. I carry the spydies. :D
Don W

Post by Don W »

Spyderco Bradley Air
Clip

Post by Clip »

Chaparral, no Boye Dent. Alternatively, a linerlock like the Sage or Cat might suit.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

What does she do with the knife? What do you expect it to be able to do?

If we don't know where we're going, how can we expect to get there? :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

My girlfriend has tiny hands and has no trouble unlocking her Meerkat. Should be able to find one as they did a sprint run recently.

She has a half dozen and her favorite is a pink Squeak, I don't think it would be likely to come open in a purse.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Clip wrote:Chaparral, no Boye Dent.
I thought about this knife and almost bought one for myself. But, I want to find one here and try her out on it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Donut wrote:What does she do with the knife? What do you expect it to be able to do?

If we don't know where we're going, how can we expect to get there? :p
She mostly carries it. She will use it to open things. But, it is handy to have if you have to cut yourself out of a seat belt. Plus, where we are currently living guns are highly illegal (think most of your life in jail or worse) and the crime rate, as a result is high. So, in addition to pepper spray she carries a knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I hate carrying a SAK, so I gave one to my wife. I can use it if I need it. I carry the spydies. :D
That's how my girlfriend ended up with the Mini-Grip. I bought it, carried it a few times and didn't like it much and said "Hey baby, I got a new knife for ya" :) She really likes it. Never had trouble with it opening accidentally but it does have a really light detent, so I can see how that is possible.

The Sage 1 is easy enough to unlock, but the grip may be a bit large if she has tiny hands. The delica or dragonfly would be good if she can operate the locks. The Bradley Air looks like a good choice on paper, but I haven't handled one so I can't speak to the ease of operation.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

senorsquare wrote:That's how my girlfriend ended up with the Mini-Grip. I bought it, carried it a few times and didn't like it much and said "Hey baby, I got a new knife for ya" :) She really likes it. Never had trouble with it opening accidentally but it does have a really light detent, so I can see how that is possible.

The Sage 1 is easy enough to unlock, but the grip may be a bit large if she has tiny hands. The delica or dragonfly would be good if she can operate the locks. The Bradley Air looks like a good choice on paper, but I haven't handled one so I can't speak to the ease of operation.
We're a devious pair. :D
Clip

Post by Clip »

Maybe the Centofante Memory as well.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
mattman

Post by mattman »

I second Clips recommendation of the Chapperall... great knife!
(one of you is bound to like it...)
endgame

Post by endgame »

Meercat- crow- raven-salsa-"s" I think most of them are discontinue but you can findem.if you want clasy get Damascus delicate red or blue perfect for a woman.