Bob lum FB03

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bobitsky258

Bob lum FB03

Post by Bobitsky258 »

I have a FB03 in very good condition don't know it's value anybody know what it's worth
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard to say, for two reasons. First because what someone considers to be "very good" condition can range from "indistinguishable from new" to "only sharpened a couple dozen times on my electric can opener's sharpener". Second because a Sprint version is due out shortly, and those can either increase, or decrease interest in the original version. Last time I checked, they were bringing close to,or slightly over, their original MSRP of $200 if in "Like New In Box" condition with the original sheath, and considerably less if not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Worth What Someone Will Pay

Post by JD Spydo »

I agree with a lot of what Deacon has to say about it>> however being that Bob Lum's name in the knife world is very similar to what Van Gogh's name is in the art world. In other words there are a lot of serious admirers of his works and even his designs. I know I'm one of them and I talk to a lot of knife guys who agree that Lum was truly ahead of his time in many ways. Especially with his superior "tanto" designs.
But to give you any solid opinion on what you're knife is worth I, like my pal the Deacon would have to physically see it to determine what someone might be inclined to pay for it. Deacon pretty much layed it out for you as far as what you're now up against. Because most serious users who want the knife to actually use in the field would far prefer the newer upcoming Sprint Run which I'm told will be made with VG-10 blade steel which is far superior to the AUS-8 that the older model was made with.
If your Lum was NIB (new In The Box) it would be worth a pretty nickel simply from a collector standpoint. But being it has had some use that is going to really put a damper on it's value. Because I seriously doubt if many potential users are going to prefer the older AUS-8 steel over the newer Sprint Run with VG-10 which is a great user blade steel and far superior to the AUS-8 IMO.
Also a lot of guys are going to be very particular as to what condition the sheath is in and if you have the original box and several other factors to determine it's value. Just off the top of my head without even seeing it and giving you the benefit of the doubt I would say you could probably fetch somewhere between $80 to $100 for it based on what you've revealed.
It is a great design and again the deceased Mr. Bob Lum has gained a lot of fans so you do have that going for you. I wish you the very best of luck and I'm sure you'll find a buyer for it. But not at a lofty price because it is used and you don't want to lose sight of that. Let us know how you did with it. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

$80-100 is probably low. The lowest prices on eBay recently have been right around $175+shipping (with no box). NIB examples are fetching $230-$275 on eBay these days.

But without more info, it's impossible to say.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gbelleh wrote:$80-100 is probably low. The lowest prices on eBay recently have been right around $175+shipping (with no box). NIB examples are fetching $230-$275 on eBay these days.

But without more info, it's impossible to say.
Yeah I might have low-balled it somewhat but not knowing what kind of condition it's in and not knowing other factors about the sheath, the box ( whether or not he has the original box) or even if the handle is in good shape or not all factor in to the pricing. And like I said for those who would want it to actually have it for a "user" to use for hunting, backpacking and so forth I still say that most people would far prefer one made from VG-10 rather than the AUS-8 the original model was made with.

Because until you see what condition it's in then you pretty much just have to assume that the offers are going to come in low. Last summer there was a pawn shop owner here in KC, MO, USA that had an old VG-10 Spyderhawk>> normally I personally would have been all over that one but the knife, handle and blade all 3 were in absolute abysmal condition and I think he told me that all he got was $20 for it. Personally I wouldn't have paid him anything seeing how bad of condition it was in. So I naturally assume it's bad until I see otherwise. Yeah I agree that a good one with the box and sheath being in good condition would fetch some serious money>> but I don't even know if he's got the sheath or not.

So until I know some things I'm not willing to put a decent price tag on it. But if all those factors are in the "PLUS" category then you're right and it will fetch some good money. But we need to know more and be able to see it.
Bobitsky258

Post by Bobitsky258 »

I'm trying to post photos but don't know how. Thanks. Rob
bh49

Post by bh49 »

1 take pictures
2.open photobucket account.
3. upload pictures there.
4 copy here links.
5. have fun
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bobitsky258 wrote:I'm trying to post photos but don't know how. Thanks. Rob
If you get lined out on your photo software then be sure to take some close pics of the blade, handle and the sheath. Also let us know if you have the original factory box as well. There are a lot of serious collectors (myself included) that really see the box as being an important part of the trade/sale. Keep us posted because I really would like to see what condition it's in. JD Spydo
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just keep in mind that, while it's acceptable to ask what a knife is worth, this forum has a rule against offering items for sale.
• Do not post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or any other forms of solicitation in Spyderco Forum. This includes the trading and selling of knives or other goods. This includes any listing of any kind, a forum thread, post or signature line.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blademan21

Post by Blademan21 »

Anyone know where I can get a box for my FB03 Bob Lum fixed blade. The knife and sheath are mint but I can't find the box for it :( I know I might be SOL but I have to ask.
Blademan21

Post by Blademan21 »

Blademan21 wrote:Anyone know where I can get a box for my FB03 Bob Lum fixed blade. The knife and sheath are mint but I can't find the box for it :( I know I might be SOL but I have to ask.
Sorry I forgot to post I found the box. A little rough from storage but I found it.. whew