Merlin sprint with Delica4 handle, possible?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Merlin sprint with Delica4 handle, possible?

Post by Blerv »

I love the Tasman but much prefer the 4th gen Delica handle. The Lil Matriarch has been a great addition to my fleet.

Since the Harpy is tip-down would anyone be open for a small run of Merlin's? I suspect Spyderco could do this with the 4th gen handle, 4-way clip, etc. While wishing of course I would like to see a FFG plain-edge blade. It could say Delica or Lil Matriarch on the handle...I dun care. :p

Am I out in left field or would other people enjoy something like this?
CallsThunder

Post by CallsThunder »

I would love to see this.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blake, I assume you are expecting VG-10?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

xceptnl wrote:Blake, I assume you are expecting VG-10?
I would expect it but always open for a surprise :) . At this point just skipping a rock and seeing what happens!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:I would expect it but always open for a surprise :) . At this point just skipping a rock and seeing what happens!
If it helps I am always open to a new hawk. I have been an owner and lover of the Spyderhawk for a while and my first Tasman came this week. I stripped the clip to bare Ti and have been carrying non stop. I always welcome a new curved blade. Can you elaborate on your Lil Matriarch use or point me to your review thread in case I missed it. I want this one, but am not 100% yet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

The Harpy now ships with a 4 way clip.
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

I would too like the Merlin as the OP described.
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd assume a Delica 4 based Merlin it's feasible. Still, I'm fairly certain the older version's blade would not work, so I'm inclined to think it unlikely they'd to do it just as a Sprint and am not sure there'd be enough interest in one for sustained production. Of course, if anyone had suggested a D4 based version of the Matriarch a couple years back, I'd have had the same thoughts.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like the idea and must say I am surprised I haven't seen anyone mod their H1 Tasman blade into a Li'l Matriarch handle yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

xceptnl wrote:Can you elaborate on your Lil Matriarch use or point me to your review thread in case I missed it. I want this one, but am not 100% yet.
I didn't do a review but really enjoy the knife! It's a finely serrated Delica with a great tip. Even opens mail easily due to the angle :) . If you dig teeth I totally recommend it. If not, I still do :p .

Infinite Zero wrote:The Harpy now ships with a 4 way clip.
Good to know. Thanks :) .
The Deacon wrote:I'd assume a Delica 4 based Merlin it's feasible. Still, I'm fairly certain the older version's blade would not work, so I'm inclined to think it unlikely they'd to do it just as a Sprint and am not sure there'd be enough interest in one for sustained production. Of course, if anyone had suggested a D4 based version of the Matriarch a couple years back, I'd have had the same thoughts.
I didn't put that together but it makes sense.
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

Infinite Zero wrote:The Harpy now ships with a 4 way clip.
Then why hasn't the catalog been updated, along with a new image? I do think that having a Merlin/Harpy in different materials such as say FRN or G10 with a 4 way clip would be interesting and I would happily purchase one (or two if they offered a PE and SE variant).
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.