Thinking about Tanto blades

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Thinking about Tanto blades

Post by Evil D »

For some reason, tantos never really appealed to me. I'm a big wharncliffe fan because i like the acute tip and cutting power of that straight edge. Then, today I was flipping through a magazine and it dawned on me that a tanto basically is a wharnie as far as the straight cutting edge is concerned, but it also has that extra up swept tip which may give me a bit more versatility in use, and i'll still have the "point" that naturally occurs where those two edges meet.

I'm particularly looking into blades that have this straight cutting edge, and not those traditional tanto blades that are almost all curved and have the edges blend together into the tip (like my Vallotton does). I specifically WANT that point where the two edges meet, because cutting open boxes is made much easier if there's a usable point, and with the main point of a tanto being so "high" from the rest of the edge, i wouldn't be using that point as often.

Here's a knife that shows sort of what i'm trying to talk about. Note the strong point between the two straight cutting edges.

I don't think i've ever seen anything from Spyderco like this? Does anyone want to recommend another brand that offers a blade in this style in a decent steel that isn't too "mall ninja"?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Griptillian Tanto is avail in 154cm at a decent price. They have a Warn model with assisted opening and D2 steel as well. Emerson has a Reliant with a tanto (seki city, zytel, lockback, hole opener).

I don't own any of these (or even a tanto). Just some to consider that shouldn't wreck your bank account.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I have a few western tantos eg the end of the blade is pointed to the recurved face of the tanto however the eastern ones have the sharp secondary edge there is no points/corners.
The difference is the ones without corners can be drawn through from a cut starting at the secondary edge/face onto the long edge.
The other you have to lift off I have both and find making cuts with a curved tanto much better.
Have a look and see if you can see one I mean I think bob lum produced a curved version if I'm right on the maker and functionally they are more practical.
Although the pointed ones do look pretty cool like the Crawford triumph.

Edit I see you want the point with the straight second edge ill just check something and re post.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

The CQC-7 was the first thing I thought of, D.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Is that the Emerson Tobi ? As that was the one I just checked a good few variations too.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Yup. My apologies, Blade!

The closest to a Spyderco Tanto would be Maci Szczerbiak at Crusader Forge...keep in mind, it is a handmade custom with a Spydie Hole...

Crusader Forge Exclusive "Tanto Tank"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

If you like classic tantos which I don't particularly then check out many of Benchmade's models from the late 90s to the mid 2000s. Also Cold Steel has many classic tanto blades as well.

I never really liked Tanto blade designs much until I got my first Spyderco Bob Lum C-46 tanto folder. Also Bob Lum's fixed blade tanto that Spyderco made and is about to be reintroduced is going to be a big winner when it reappears with VG-10 steel,

The Bob Lum Tanto has more of a streamlined tip to it which I think makes it much more functional than a conventional tanto design. The Bob Lum tanto actually has a belly on the tip area which penetrates much better IMO.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Sht

Post by Sht »

I think the spyderco bob lum is a good choice for you even though it is not as sharp where the edges meet.
I really want one of these
This might be more up your alley
It's has a stupid thick tip, but I think that the bob lum's are the best of the best.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

tobii3 wrote:The CQC-7 was the first thing I thought of, D.
Concur. The Emerson CQC-7 comes very close to what the OP is describing.

Also, the Emerson Roadhouse comes pretty close as well.

Just remember that Emerson puts a different grind to their edges (a chisel edge for the CQC-7, for example).
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

So David any further thoughts posts considered or are you still no clearer to what you want ? Thanks . K
Sht what is the little black blade/necker under the chris reeve thnx.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think you will be disappointed, as have all my friends that actually use knives. The Tanto was designed to pierce armor, not as a cutting tool, per se (unless you plan on stabbing the boxes). A Warnclif or a clip point would be better. I like the Bowie style for all around use, as it has a point for piercing, and a lot of belly for slicing, and a broad blade for cutting, and a stiff spine for strength. But a modified drop point is pretty good too. A Hawk Bill, such as Spyderco makes is the best for opening boxes and cutting tough stuff like carpet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

I use my benchmade mini warn tanto for gasket scraping, lasts longer than razor blades.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bladekeeper wrote:So David any further thoughts posts considered or are you still no clearer to what you want ? Thanks . K
Sht what is the little black blade/necker under the chris reeve thnx.
I think a lot of it has to do with exactly what the blade shape is like along with the rest of the knife design. I'm not gonna lie, i'm a total Spyderco fanboy and there are very few other brands/models that interest me so it's hard for me to really get into other brands unless it's really special or "spydielike". One knife i really had my hopes up for was the CRKT Razel folder, which seems to be a crazy useful blade design, but upon handling that knife i realized it's a heavy brick in your hand and i don't really care for the steel they used (though i'm sure from a toughness perspective it's good if you use it as a scraper).

If y'all aren't familiar with the Razel folder, here it is:

Ooooh and I just saw they made a sort of recurve version too

And then there's the stubby Razel which is pretty cool too

Really though i'd be half tempted to just get a Stubby Razel fixed blade if i could carry it as easily in khakis as i can a folder.

I know these aren't tantos but they're another option i was considering. For now i'm perfectly happy using my Yojimbo 2 as a work knife but the tanto just crossed my mind when i saw it in a magazine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David