PPT...Power of Positive Thinking ;-)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gary W Graley

PPT...Power of Positive Thinking ;-)

Post by Gary W Graley »

Well, that's my spin on the PPT acronym anyways ;) but while I have had this since last Christmas, a gift from my daughter and now son-n-law, they did good ;) , I didn't carry it as much. I had a couple new knives come in and that got put in the back seat for a long time, until about 2 weeks ago actually. As I had a new Sebenza Insingo that I got with micarta scales, but, it wasn't what I ended up really liked and am in the process of selling it off. Fast forward to now, as I thought to myself, what I NEED is a blade that has a lowered point, not a full wharncliff type but a slight curve would be handy, an integral locking bar and comfortable handle with texture so as not to be slippery and then I could almost hear the click inside my head as the switch flipped and the light came on. I thought, almost out loud :cool: HEY, I have JUST the ticket setting in my knife drawer! And got it out and fell in love all over again.
Now while it appears that it is a liner lock, you can tell that the lock bar is above the scales so when gripped, you just tighten the lock all that much more. And as other knives have a stop bar thingy to prevent over extending the lock bar when you unlock the knife, the PPT has the side of the scale just enough up to halt the lock bar from going out any further than it needs to.

I recently had a slight worry as the opening of the knife was so gritty as to think that the washers were damaged, but, I put a few drops of Nano Oil on the detent ball and that was all that was needed to make it swing open as slick as could be, must have gotten some grit it didn't like. I get that with some Mexican food sometimes ;)

So, Thanks Sal and crew for putting out such a great folder, I know I'm as fickle as a young girl sometimes when it comes to keeping knives, but ya gotta endeavour to persevere ... or words to that effect.

G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Here are a few images of the knife taken tonight, hotel lighting ain't the best but, you get the idea ;)

and the edge I have on now is quite keen !

G2

Psalm 1
Donut

Post by Donut »

The PPT is an awesome blade, I love mine!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Love the ppt, one of my favorite designs ever !. its like a production custom.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

Just last week I bought another one.. In case something ever happens to my current PPT.
I love the dang thang. :)

I say we need a sprint..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Ti liners instead of steel and a 3.5" blade and it would be sooo close to perfect.

Been tempted to order a custom from Sacha...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The PPT is yet another one of those unique and useable models that Spyderco continues to put out. What else would you get when you have 3 world class designers working in collaboration with with the world class designers and producers at Spyderco??

In handling and using the PPT over time one can't help but appreciate the extremely versatile concept of Messr's. Perrin, Perotti, and Thiele. One can also speculate about the compromises made by Spyderco to bring it to market at a reasonable cost.

The features that most intrigue me about the PPT are the wharncliffe style blade combined with a slightly positive angle, the hybrid lock, the uniquely sculpted handle, extremely low profile carry, and the very robust and quality build. The PPT also has the quality of being appealing to a wide variey of tastes and uses.

I am 100% in agreement with Gary and the rest of the replies in that this is one of those many models very much worthy of celebration :D :D
Attachments
pptleaf.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Nice pictures Gary. Sometimes a knife needs a little time to grow on you :-)
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

NoFair wrote:Ti liners instead of steel and a 3.5" blade and it would be sooo close to perfect.

Been tempted to order a custom from Sacha...
It does seem like a great platform for more cool things, as well as a great knife in its own right.

My PPT is my main EDC (with the Chap 1 for, uh, light days ;) ) and I often wonder about alternate materials for the backspacer (drilled-out? ti? damascus? Micarta? ) and maybe wood scales.
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Well said Dbcad, and guys, those are some great ideas, I do like the heft of the knife as is though, but maybe some tweaking, maybe some file work on the back spacer but that can be done by the owner, although I've not taken this apart to see how hard it would be to reassemble, but otherwise, it does very well as is, the S30v seems to keep a good edge a long time on this one.
G2

Psalm 1
flash900

Post by flash900 »

dbcad wrote:

The features that most intrigue me about the PPT are the wharncliffe style blade combined with a slightly positive angle, the hybrid lock, the uniquely sculpted handle, extremely low profile carry, and the very robust and quality build. The PPT also has the quality of being appealing to a wide variey of tastes and uses.

:D :D
Well said.

Question: for those who love the PPT, what do you think of the Zulu?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Donut

Post by Donut »

flash900 wrote: Question: for those who love the PPT, what do you think of the Zulu?
The PPT and the Zulu are similar in the lock, the scales, and the finish. Other than that I think they are very different.

The Zulu feels like a much thinner blade, it carries much higher with the clip, it feels lighter, doesn't have as much purchasing power at the tip. You can probably get that bump out on the blade to cut into something if it had to.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Those are impressive pics for mere 'hotel lighting'. This thread reminds me that I should carry the PPT some more.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Thanks, it was a bit tricky, took a couple sheets of paper to try and soften the light from the table lamp, don't have all my camera kit on the road, impromptu things always like that ;)

And yes, carry that a bit more! I put the PPT on my EdgePro but kept with the bevel angles it arrived at, cuts very well indeed.
G2

Psalm 1
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

For me, the PPT is one of the coolest knives in the Spyderco line up. I would really like a XL version with slightly thicker blade but for this current size it's just perfect.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

The PPT happens to be the one and only knife I've ever handled that I can not open one handed because I put pressure on the lock and it binds when trying to open it one handed. :( Other than that..... it's a great knife..... I guess.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Oofa wrote:The PPT happens to be the one and only knife I've ever handled that I can not open one handed because I put pressure on the lock and it binds when trying to open it one handed. :( Other than that..... it's a great knife..... I guess.
Instead if putting pressure in the lock, adjust your fingers to go to the scales instead during opening, then relax your hand and let it come into a firm grip :) It's always good to know where your fingers are when handling a sharp knife ;) :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That is a cool knife. Does the lockbar dig into your fingers?
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

dbcad wrote:Instead if putting pressure in the lock, adjust your fingers to go to the scales instead during opening, then relax your hand and let it come into a firm grip :) It's always good to know where your fingers are when handling a sharp knife ;) :)
I can open it by grabbing only the scales but it is totally unnatural for me to hold the knife that way and after a few weeks, I would laugh every time I tried to open it. It was like there was a lock on it. :) I haven't had that problem with any other knife I've ever handled. That is why I had to sell it. And yes...... the lock bar did feel uncomfortable once open. Fortunately, there are plenty of people that have no problem with the PPT. It's a beautiful knife but it just needs bigger scales on the right side. Very comfortable to carry and that pocket clip has to be my favorite of all time. I always appreciate the photos!
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Here's a short video, starts with the folder and ends with some of my Boker fixed blades designed by Jesper Voxnaes

[video=youtube;KBE0cQi48hU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBE0cQi48hU[/video]

G2

Psalm 1