UF pocket stone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stalag2

UF pocket stone

Post by stalag2 »

Hello

Is there any projects to release a pocket sized UF sharpening device ?
I know that the full size profile set just got discontinued but i would like to see a mini profile with UF option( also i would like to be able to replace my broken medium mini profile, one can dream :) ).

On the other hand i was thinking to grab some UF 204 rods and cut/snap one to the size of a mini profile, high risk move tho...
JD Spydo

Why stop there?

Post by JD Spydo »

stalag2 wrote:Hello

Is there any projects to release a pocket sized UF sharpening device ?
I know that the full size profile set just got discontinued but i would like to see a mini profile with UF option( also i would like to be able to replace my broken medium mini profile, one can dream :) ).

On the other hand i was thinking to grab some UF 204 rods and cut/snap one to the size of a mini profile, high risk move tho...
You could probably take one of those glass cutters that they use in hardware stores to score it with and it would more than likely snap off decently. No guarantees however but that would be the way I would attempt it.

Yeah I've thought about a new type of Doublestuff stone similar to a stone that Fallkniven has in their main line up. They have one that is ceramic on one side and diamond on the other.>> I was thinking that Spyderco could have another Doublestuff stone with diamond on one side and the Ultra-Fine stone on the other.

With the current Doublestuff stone with the medium/fine grits on another companion stone with diamond and ultra-fine would really make a great survivalist tool for bug out kits and so forth.

Also another idea I was thinking about would be to take Spyderco's 204 rods and make them half the length into the "dog-bone" types of stones like the ones that Lansky and Timberline both have>> that is with rubber ends with pre-set angles for guides on the ends. In a way I'm surprised Spyderco hasn't done something like that. Because there is a lot of ways you could be creative with the 204 Sharpmaker rods to make them individually for many uses. That way you would have every available grit of stone for survival kits and bug out bags as well as for tool boxes and tackle boxes as well as having stones for machinists and other tradesmen as well.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Personally I don't see the need for a pocket UF stone. Before I leave the house my edge is already maintained. If I need to fix a roll or touchup, a few wipes with the fine stone brings it back.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think it's an excellent idea because there are so many small tools and small knives that I could use a ultra-fine stone to sharpen or maintain. I think it would also catapult the sales of the original "Doublestuff" stone as well. Also when you take into consideration how many really small Spyderco knives there are in the main line up it only makes sense to have a small UF stone handy.

Not to mention many machinist type jobs you could use one with.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

To get around the lack of a smaller ultra fine stone for now.

I have purchased one of the ultra fine Sharpmaker rods.

I plan on getting the ultra fine benchstone too.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GCG199 wrote:To get around the lack of a smaller ultra fine stone for now.

I have purchased one of the ultra fine Sharpmaker rods.

I plan on getting the ultra fine benchstone too.
Spyderco's Ultra-Fine 302 model Benchstone is absolutely remarkable. Just last night I was fine tuning my C-60, G-10 Sprint Ayoob model on the 302 UF stone. I got it so sharp that it literally floated through some very flimsy cigarette rolling papers. The last few strokes I took it very gingerly and sort of used it like a strop and I never got that knife as sharp as I got it on that 302 UF stone. Learning the technique is the difference.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I was looking around Amazon and saw the Ultra Fine stone for under $50, so I bought one.

one more great tool has been added to the collection of sharpening gear!
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL