Chinook 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gnlw

Chinook 4?

Post by gnlw »

I know there was some talk last year about a Chinook 4 in the works. Has anyone heard anything about this recently?
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

There was a confirmation from Mr. Glesser that Eric is working on a modified version of the Chinook with the new lock back system ...other than that i dunno nothin'... :)
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I want one! :)
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'd give anything for a Baby Chinook ala the Baby Goddard.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Chinook? Yes please.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

Yo there !

First post around but im a Spydie fan since about 12 years.

Im really pleased to learn about a new chinook being planned, i own 2 chinook1 and i used them as EDC for about 5 years. They have been used for anything from light chopping to food prep and random cutting tests to amaze friends (and myself of course).
I really dig big bellied sturdy knives but to me both chinook 2 and 3 seemed much less robust and heavyweight than the original also the visual appeal was much less striking in my opinion.
I kinda hope the new version will remedy to this and brings back on track the almighty tank it was once.
Also i cant stop thinking about a fully serrated big bellied blade which i think is lacking in the Spydie line up, the chinook would be an awesome candidate.
To conclude the only 2 ' flaws ‘ on chinook1 in my opinion were the pinned construction and the non reversible clip.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

stalag2 wrote: both chinook 2 and 3 seemed much less robust and heavyweight than the original also the visual appeal was much less striking in my opinion.
I kinda hope the new version will remedy to this and brings back on track the almighty tank it was once.
Indeed.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd love to see the new Chinook, the original prototype looked nice too though and I too would like to see the design go 'back' more to the original concept of a heavy curvy bowie folder. The attached pictures are from the late James Mattis, which were posted online several years ago. I think the new Chinook would get stiff competition from the Ed Schempp Frontier Bowie concept models, those blew me away.
Attachments
SPYDERCO Chinook Proto Clipside.jpg
SPYDERCO Chinook Pre Production Proto.jpg
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

What I would really like to see is the original Chinook redone with the new lock like the Native 5 has, and then given a steel upgrade, but other than that, kept just the same as the original.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:What I would really like to see is the original Chinook redone with the new lock like the Native 5 has, and then given a steel upgrade, but other than that, kept just the same as the original.
I'm with you there snoo. I'd trade my 3 chinook 3's for one of those.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

This is another one I wish I would have picked up when they were still in production.

I like the production models a lot better than those prototypes.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
gnlw

Post by gnlw »

I've always felt that each incarnation in the Chinook series represented Spyderco's continuing evolution of its interpretation of what "heavy-duty" really is. I'm really looking forward to the Chinook 4.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

With the way the chinook has gone since the first, I'm afraid the next will be even punier...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd rather just have a sprint of the original Chinook.
:bug-red-white
v8r

Post by v8r »

A sprint of the original with the Native 5 pivot design would be cool. Dark green or toxic green scales would suit me just perfect. Please drill for tip up carry also.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Para2

Post by Para2 »

Wanting & wishing for a CHINOOK.........please!!! Got's to have more!!!
thelock

Post by thelock »

Chinook 1 with a compression lock :rolleyes:
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Mr Blonde wrote:I'd love to see the new Chinook, the original prototype looked nice too though and I too would like to see the design go 'back' more to the original concept of a heavy curvy bowie folder. The attached pictures are from the late James Mattis, which were posted online several years ago. I think the new Chinook would get stiff competition from the Ed Schempp Frontier Bowie concept models, those blew me away.
Those prototype images are beautiful. I don't know how in the later iterations of the chinooks, the blade shape changed from a "modified bowie" to a "modified toenail clipping".
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

A sprint run of the original chinook would be awesome!!!