Clip innovation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would a retractable clip seem interesting

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes: 50

Chipped Karambit

Clip innovation

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Has Spyderco ever considered a retractable clip? It seems it would fit well with the new Ti capibilities. Just make it extend out like a piston so that it can clip and during use it can be pushed into the handle. It could be easy to lock in if you make it snap at the open and at the closed. I doubt it would work with g10 but it seems like Ti would work perfectly for a new clip system. Could lead to better grip ergonomics if you could shake the knife to the hand without having to factor in the clip.

It just seems like an idea that would be cool and practical
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Seems like it would overly complicate a nice simple and effective solution to me.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

That would be expensive. The Ti would have to be milled to very tight specifications, and there would be a bunch of moving parts. That said, I'd be willing to try it if it cost less than $120 or so.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I give this idea Image Image Image Image In addition to the cost and added complexity, I doubt it would be interchangeable right to left, work for tip down carry, or be able to be removed without leaving a huge and incredibly unsightly trench in the handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

I would hate to even think what would happen if one were to use such a clip in a sandy environment...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I dislike greatly the cut out in the scales for the wire clip (especially in wood or Ti) so anything that is likely to leave bigger nastier cut outs, no thank you!
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Getting past the cost of making a clip that will retract and not be weaker than a removable one (and the cost to the consumer), some folks really like the clip simply to ease opening. It acts as a ledge for your fingers to brace against while the thumb actuates the blade.

I like the idea of fancy looking functional clips, even anodized Ti ones for people wanting to put some snazz on their knife. That's the type of aftermarket support I think Spyderco could sell and warranty like hotcakes.
Chipped Karambit

I was thinking on more of a gentlemans knife. The workings dont necessarily have to be Ti but they could fit into a tie scale since most spydercos use g10 or frn which wouldnt make a good nesting spot. Doubt it would be cheap cause all Ti will end up over 150 bucks. It is true it would be fixed. no way around that. Just seemed like an interesting idea. I agree with the clips (I would love a stone washed clip for my pm2 so it doesnt attract attention in the light) but this idea seems like a 007 gentknife clip. Cause lets admit it, it would be classy. A kiwi isnt what youd use to go sailing, I was thinking the clip in that line. Sand and mud would not be good for it at all, so I figure suit knife. Class and comfort (when you subtract the clip from the situation, a whole new lvl of ergonics can be reached)

I prefer a basic clip personally but for a suitknife, Id make an exception
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I am one that feel that a gent's knife should have no clip at all. I think that as soon as you add one, you have something other than a gent's knife.
On a small office environment or urban EDC type knife then a clip is ok, and I think that in those cases I like simple best of all. I like a low carry folder type clip like on the PPT. I'm not sure that there is a way to improve on a clip like that (other than making it a left or right handed clip), even if it did somehow fold or slide away. But it would be an interesting concept to see tried out and perfected.
On the hunt for...
Chipped Karambit

all valid points, good feed back
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I know it's been done already by someone, Boker perhaps? Whoever did it, I don't recall a many folks getting excited over it.
Paul
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The more I think about this, the more I wonder how it'd work, mechanically...
sal

Post by sal »

It's been done a few times, both custom and production.

sal
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Chipped Karambit wrote: I agree with the clips (I would love a stone washed clip for my pm2 so it doesnt attract attention in the light) but this idea seems like a 007 gentknife clip.
have you not a bunch of rocks and some tupperware? Stone washing something is probably the easiest do it yourself mod in existance. (other than maybe the zip tie mod). I have done it to quite a few knives and parts. Im about to etch and stone wash the blade on my sb caly 3.5 for added rust resistance.

as per your idea for a retractable clip, I for one like it. Guys, you shouldnt be so fast to shoot down an idea. In design school we were not allowed to point out a problem unless we had an idea for a solition. Perhaps it would work well on a one off model. You could have it on a model with an inlay or over lay of some sort, so that it can be pushed flat with the inlay/over lay material. That way it would not be necessasary to mill out the handle to accomodate it. Some design and developement has to be done to work out the inevitable kinks in this idea, but I think it could work quite well, and would help make the knife more comfortable during use.

Just because it retracts, does NOT mean it has to be stationary. Think of the recent ZT 888, with its clip that flips from one side to another. A similar concept could be used with the retractable clip idea.

If noone at spyderco is interested, maybe suggest it to Grant and Gavin Hawk, their designs tend to have "out there" gizmos such as that.
Chipped Karambit

I dont have a dryer lol. Only laundramat near me has security for some reason.
To bad someone has already done it, just seem liked a cool idea. if it has already been done in custom and production then it isnt as innovative as i though. I may stone wash my clip when I can get a hold of a good dryer. Stonewash=less shine= easier to carry without concern
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I remember this custom knife, can't recall the knife nor the maker, but the clip was essentially a piece of the handle. It's hard to explain, but I'll do the best I can, and hope it makes sense. So on the clip side(left), the handle is cut out into a clip shape, but it is still part of the handle. It's completely cut out, and the rear portion, where the screws would normally be, are attached to standoffs that attach to the other side(right) of the knife. The left side is cut out somewhat like a frame lock, so that one can push the left side, and this would push the standoff, with the right sided clip out, so that you can clip it. Later, when it was no longer needed, one can simply unclip it, and the whole assembly would recess back into the handle.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's one style, mounted on the spine. Not sure how many would like the carry position it necessitates.

http://www.caswellknives.com/PremiumFolderGallery.html
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

Joe Caswell is an innovative and skilled custom maker.

sal
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Although I try to be one who does not criticise new ideas and innovations, personally I have found most "clip-its" that I've handled (be they Spyderco, Chris Reeves, etc.) to need the clip as it's an integral part of the knife. I say this because most of these knives are designed to be as thin as possible to fit nicely or as discreetly as possible in the pocket. As such, there's not much to grab onto and thumb open the knife unless you have the clip to provide some purchase for your fingers.

I've removed the clip from a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza before and found it hard to handle due to it's thin profile. To me, if there's a clip on the folder, it's supposed to be there for more than one reason, and it's always proved functional in more ways than one.

This is an interesting post and the concept is nice to consider, but if my folder comes with a clip, it's gonna stay there... it might get relocated if that option is available, but it's gonna stay there and I'd want it to stay there.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing more clips mounted at the butt end of the handle though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David