Can I get some opinion?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chergarvie

Can I get some opinion?

Post by chergarvie »

I recently purchased this knife on Ebay and it was listed as "absolutely new and immaculate specimen" Here is a picture to show the finish on the scales.

Although the blade itself looks unused, is this the way the knife left the factory?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's definitely scratched up. Stainless knives come with a plastic film over the scales to protect them from scratching, otherwise they'd look like that right out of the box from sliding around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

What knife is that? It definitely doesn't look immaculate to me, or like any SS finish I've ever received NIB.
:bug-red-white
chergarvie

Post by chergarvie »

It is a Karambit.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It looks carried to me. Seems like a fraudulent description, be careful how you handle it so you don't get negative feedback.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I try to avoid ebay like the plague. I think the drill is to notify the seller that the item you got is not new/as described, and offer them a chance to fix their mistake.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

At least a well worn Kbit is more likely I be real. Discontinued and collectible SS Spydercos tend to be faked.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

How many deals has the seller made and what is his rating just out of curiosity?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If it was "absolutely new and immaculate" it would still have the protective plastic film over most of the left side scale, like the one this photo...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chergarvie

Post by chergarvie »

The seller's rating is 399, 100% rating and he also informed me he has sold 2 or 3 others of the same model and they all look the same but I see no record of that in his feedback going back to 07.
chergarvie

Post by chergarvie »

bigger pics notice the back side has no such scratches, smooth even finish.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

1. Contact seller with the reason of "item is not as described" and explain. If he/she is honest they will offer a full or partial refund. I've been in this situation and I've been made happy by the seller.

2. If you aren't happy with his response you can leave horrible feedback and/or file a claim with ebay. I've never had to do this.

Good luck,
Jack
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If all else fails and you end up keeping the knife. You can fix the finish to a large degree yourelf, with the right combination of fine sanding and polishing with abrasives.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah that's definitely scratched up. They don't make those random direction squirrely scratches at the factory. It's unusual that the other side isn't scratched up though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

The problem with buying anywhere on line is that everyone seems to have their own version of immaculate or new. Requesting detailed photos is a good idea when buying on Ebay. Even then, making sure the seller has a return policy is the only way I buy on line. It could be scratched up for many reasons....... from the factory, from shipping, who cares. It doesn't matter why or how. The point is that it is not as described in the ad. Have you had any communication with the seller?
chergarvie

Post by chergarvie »

Thank you all for the info.I have contacted the seller and while he said he would refund me he still insists it is new.I asked for a 20 dollar refund because of the condition and he refuses.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely not "absolutely new and immaculate" so you'd be totally justified sending it back for a refund. At the same time, the price you paid looks to be considerably less than other "like new" C84's have recently sold for, so you might want to consider keeping it and having it refinished by Spyderco. Depends on how badly you want one, whether you plan to carry it or just add it to a collection, and how long you'd be willing to wait for a better one at a similar price.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:It's unusual that the other side isn't scratched up though.
I don't think it's THAT unusual, if you carry a stainless blade clipped to your pocket. Typically the side opposite the clip gets all scratched up and the side with the clip gets scratched little to none.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!