Spyderco Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aidansdaddy17

Spyderco Techno

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

I just pulled the trigger. I have been away from Spyderco for a while. Like I said before. I always come back! At first I was a fan, then I wasn't because of price. Now that all the reviews are out, I was called back home. ;) Thanks Sal and CO. I even sold two CRK's along the way. All roads lead to Spyderco.

Thoughts? Positive/negative?

Post by 1623 »

Great choice, awesome knife that's worth the coin.

Welcome back!
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I wasn't very interested in the Techno, but bought one anyway out of curiosity. Now it's unexpectedly one of my favorites. I've been carrying and using it everyday around the house. It's a stout, sturdy, but very handy little knife, and the quality and craftsmanship are top notch. I'm very glad I bought it. It's worth every penny. You won't be disappointed!
:bug-red-white
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

gbelleh wrote:I wasn't very interested in the Techno, but bought one anyway out of curiosity. Now it's unexpectedly one of my favorites. I've been carrying and using it everyday around the house. It's a stout, sturdy, but very handy little knife, and the quality and craftsmanship are top notch. I'm very glad I bought it. It's worth every penny. You won't be disappointed!
Good to hear!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

No good for a lefty. You can't thumb deploy since it's blocked by the lock. The finger flick is uncomfortable since the cutout on the scale is so deep you hit your finger on the upper scale every time. Mine's going back on the market.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

I am amazed at this thing. Just opened it. Mail came early! I agree with my bladeforums friend 100% Trust me, he know what he is talking about. Owns Hinderer's, Strider, Laconico, Alan Davis, CRK and others.....or did own some of those. It is solid. Amazing F&F. WIll be a great user/EDC that sharpens well and holds an edge. If you are on the fence....one of the best SPyderco's to date. Feels like a much more expensive knife. I loved the Sage 2....still EDC the Sage 1. For about the same price, in some areas $10-$20 more, this IMHO is a better deal. Worth it
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Aidansdaddy,

It's a very nice piece. Hope you enjoy.

A bonus of reaching a global group. It was a foum member (Piter) that saw a similar custom design in Poland. He encouraged the maker to "Spyderize" his design, Piter then purchased the model and brought it to me at the Blade show. We purchased the pieces from Piter. We showed the model in the concept/proto case at the show and got an exceptionally positive response. The design went through our normal development process and is now finally in production.

sal
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Thanks Sal! Great story. My son thought it was awesome that you wrote to me. We just opened this knife a couple hours ago. So in his 6 year old mind, that is cool. He wanted to know if you were talking about his Ambitious. Yes I bought him one a few months back. These two knives actutally go hand in hand. Like that of father and son. ;) Good size comparison if anyone is asking you how the Techno feels in hand. Although the Techno is more stout and just a little bigger all around in hand.

Prioritizing your/our knife collection to afford what will really satisfy us as collectors. Those that balk at the price, I understand. I am sure everyone has a few $40-$60 Spyderco's laying around. It all adds up to breaking even in the end. Or more. This knife is top Spyderco quality. Not that my endura isn't. (Great for food prep guys or any kitcehn duties! VG-10) This is comparable in quality to a CRK. Honest.

Not saying it is the same as CRK. Just like you mentioned about tolerances in the past. If you followed the same tolerances in the Sage 2 or this. These would run the same. So true! This is as close as it gets for a little less than half the cost of a $350-$400 RIL knife. (I do own a CRK)

You said on blade that not everyone can afford everything Spyderco makes. I just think it's all about perspective and prioritizing life, goals and this insanely addictive hobby. You said it best.

"We're all ignorant. that's why we ask questions. We are also students and teachers here.

You don't have to justify the cost. You just may have to wait for one. Nothing wrong with that. They'll be around for a while.
We make some very special pieces, by any standards. Not all appreciate what they are, many can't afford them, We make them just because we can. Few can afford to experience every model we create."

sal

Thanks for listening!

Patrick
SpydieZ

Post by SpydieZ »

Leftie techno owners can we get some more feedback on ease of opening? I know the guy Above says it's difficult but I can open my ppt with no problems and it appears to have the same amount of hole showing. I want to buy this guy so bad!
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

SpydieZ wrote:Leftie techno owners can we get some more feedback on ease of opening? I know the guy Above says it's difficult but I can open my ppt with no problems and it appears to have the same amount of hole showing. I want to buy this guy so bad!
This seems good. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSTIX9-WIg
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm right handed, and I can open and close the Techno left handed without much trouble. I've actually been carrying it in my left rear pocket, so I use it left handed quite a bit. I would expect a real lefty could easily get proficient with it.
kiwispyder

Post by kiwispyder »

I'm right handed to and find I can flick open the Techno with my left hand middle finger easier that with my right thumb.
Closing it with left hand is no trouble either.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I'm a lefty. Wish I would have seen that video first. It explains it all. TERRIBLE for lefties. First, the knife is small and the purchase makes it difficult to stay off the lock. This is highlighted in the video. You can adjust, but you have to think about it. It isn't natural.

More importantly, let's get into the finger flick. Somewhat common for lefties considering the thumb hole is generally covered on the left side scale. I'm pretty good at it. Watch the video. This is what it is like.

The thing about the Techno that makes it extra tough, for me and the videomaker, is the small thumb hole cut out on the scale. In the below pic focus on the red circle. The area just above the hole cut out is extremely important to flicking. The finger doesn't flick at 3 o'clock, it flicks at 2 o'clock (in an upward motion). The Techno has a thick chunk of metal in the way that hits your finger. Notice the Leafstorm (the same niche of knife) has that area clear, and the Sage 2 has a wide area.

So you have a little knife, the forces you to think about where you put your thumb so you don't press on the lock bar, while concentrating to flick straight out so you don't bash your finger on the extra metal in the way.

I hate being left handed. I have made adjustments over the years to knives that allowing. I actually love the finger flick, which is normally easier for lefties because of the cut outs on the right being more open. Not in the Techno's case.

Watch the video, it is dead on accurate. Watch him try to open it. It is that difficult.

The knife was sold. Thankfully there are plenty of righties out there that will not have an issue to an otherwise great knife. :D
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

SpydieZ wrote:Leftie techno owners can we get some more feedback on ease of opening? I know the guy Above says it's difficult but I can open my ppt with no problems and it appears to have the same amount of hole showing. I want to buy this guy so bad!
I don't own a PPT, but two things that jump out. The PPT has a scale over the lock scale and the handle is bigger. This fixes the small purchase and exposed lock bar issue.

The PPT also doesn't have that material in the top of the cut out.

If you can try it somewhere first, I would suggest that before buying it. If you can't and you must have it, buy it. You can always sell it if you don't like it. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I can see how it would be difficult to flick it open left handed, but I don't do that. I just pinch the Spyder hole between the left thumb and middle finger. The middle finger and thumb together push the blade past the detent, then the thumb takes over to fully open the blade. That way, the thumb will naturally not press on the lock bar, and opening is easy and completely controlled.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It isn't particularly great for lefties...I played with one in my local for a good half an hour, and ended up with a very sore middle finger and it is due to that bit of scale that willydigger pointed out. If I use a pinch method and use two fingers to just pop it out past the detent and then use my thumb to finish it is ok. But not at all ideal.

Also...why is the Ti looking so much like just regular old steel? Most Ti that I have seen has a slight bit of yellow-ish color to it, but the Techno just looks like a stone washed stainless steel knife, not like Ti at all.
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Also...why is the Ti looking so much like just regular old steel? Most Ti that I have seen has a slight bit of yellow-ish color to it, but the Techno just looks like a stone washed stainless steel knife, not like Ti at all.
IMO, it looks like stonewashed titanium should look. It actually has more of a golden tint to it than my stonewashed ZT 0550.

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

In that picture it seems to be a little golden or yellow. Guess just in hand with nothing to compare it to, it looks more grey.
On the hunt for...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Also...why is the Ti looking so much like just regular old steel? Most Ti that I have seen has a slight bit of yellow-ish color to it, but the Techno just looks like a stone washed stainless steel knife, not like Ti at all.
Looks like titanium to me? If you compare it to the blade steel, which is also stonewashed, the handles are darker with a very faint goldy tint in some lights, but my Ti millie just looks flat grey.

Also, the techno is awesommmme 10/10 spyderco ! :cool:
aidansdaddy17

Post by aidansdaddy17 »

Yeah, It's so awesome. Such an amazing knife.