Just recieved the Centofante3, impressions.........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Just recieved the Centofante3, impressions.........

Post by dbcad »

I knew how light it was just taking the padded envolope out of the mailbox. I went inside, changed my clothes, had a sip of Margerita, and thoroughly enjoyed using a ZDP Ladybug in it's role of slicing open the non glued side of the padded envelope. I opened the box inside and found a very sweet knife :D If you can't tell already I like it!!!!

Who can't like a 2mm VG-10 hollow ground blade :confused: Handles, typical of Spyderco it is ergonomic, action is great for a lockback, and did I say before? it's light, 2mm thick blade with a hollow grind.

I know it isn't a heavy duty blade, but on this rare occasion have recieved exactly what I expected from my research before purchase. This knife is in :D

Edges are all nicely softened a bit, there's only a very little bit of mismatch of the scale halves at the very butt. the blade is centered to within 1/4mm.

The edge was very sharp out of the box, but had a few small burrs which were quickly remedied with the 2u strop. If it keeps this edge for a while I'll keep it, if not, reprofile.

No blade play, up, down, or side. Feels very solidly and purposefully buit.

Did I say it was light :D For the price of a Delica you will get a lot of slicer here :)

One little nitpick :o The bug logo is in relief by a few thousandths. It'd be nicer for me of it were flush, also why did it come tip down carry?
Attachments
centofantesmallsmall.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Clip

Post by Clip »

I was extremely happy with my Cento4. I think the reason it came tip down is because that clip covers up the rivet on the opposite side. When I took it off to switch it to tip up, I was surprised to see how deep the hole was but got used to it quickly. My bug is the same way, and the bottom right leg is bent/kinked just a hair. Wouldn't be noticeable if it didn't want to reflect every bit of light that came near it.

Also, my blade doesn't have Centofante's mark ahead of the hole like yours does. I like it quite a bit, and am wondering if I should pick up a Cento3 while they're still plentiful and reasonably priced.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agree on the Clip placement :) The sunken rivet does stand out. However I have changed the Cento to tip up carry as it feels more comfortable.

What is really fun for me with this knife is the thin stock of a very good blade material coupled with the hollow grind :D The Cento3 will be my largest pocket scalpel ;)
Charlie

bh49

Post by bh49 »

I bought Cento3 in 2006. Found that I do not like handle to blade ratio. Sold it right away. Still regret about it, but for some reason never bought it again :confused: . In addition to be a great slicer, IMHO this is the only FRN knife, which looks good.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Hey bh49 :) handle/blade ratio is similar to a Delica. Can understand if it doesn't please in that respect :) I do respect your knowledge and experience :)

The blade thickness+hollow grind +VG-10 is what get's my edge obsessed brain going :D VG-10 was designed to take a very sharp edge and regain it easily. I genuinely appreciate the Japanese mindset of refinement that allowed that development to happen.

Now I find myself with a knife with a 3-9/16 blade, 3-7/16 cutting edge combined with a 2mm blade stock+hollow grind :eek: It screams happiness to my edge obsessed mind :eek: The edge out of the box was good, but is now even better after a bit of polishing on treated and untreated leather. I love this kind of sharp :D

Even if I find I have to get through the possibly compromised steel at the very edge in the future, it will be a pleasure to do so. The shear geometry of this blade works for me :D .

If you can't tell I'm delighted with the edge this knife has now :o It cuts very well :D It feels good in hand as well.
Charlie

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Enjoy the knife. It is much more capable than most of the people think. My friend WhyNot (he used to have quite a big collection)
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t-s-corner
used cento3 when he was remodeling the house. And Cento hold the ground. Got few nicks, round the tip. But all was fixed and the knife still in use.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Excellent thread bh49!! Gives me ideas.

I will appreciate and enjoy the Cento3 :) Looks kind of similar to the Vesuvius :)

Still a lot of knowledge to be gleaned from that thread but it's way past my bedtime. Thanks again :)
Charlie

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Figured I'd leave the thread with a nice hi res picture of the Cento3. The more I carry it and use it the more I like it. My prior opinion of pinned knives is obsolete.

I have a Centofante3 :D
Attachments
cento logo small.jpg
Charlie

Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I like the Cento 3. However I know next to nothing about the history of this knife. I own one, but the one I have has a compression lock, not a back lock like the one pictured above. I haven't carried it in a long time, but this thread has inspired me to do so. Perhaps I will carry it for a few days next week.

Enjoy your Centofante 3.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Everytime this thread gets bumped it goes into the pocket! Oh how I hope for a ZDP-189 sprint someday.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I like the Cento 3. However I know next to nothing about the history of this knife. I own one, but the one I have has a compression lock, not a back lock like the one pictured above.
Jay,
This is not cento3, this is Vesuvius. Also it has thicker stock and different steel. IIRC ATS34

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The Centofante III is one of the best knives Spyderco has made (IMHO). It is a master slicer. I have a Centofante 4 as well and it's a beast. It's like a light version of a Yojimbo. I prefer the Centofante III to the Delica as a $50 EDC knife. It's great and it does what it was designed for very well. It is one of the most well finished knives I've owned.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've said it many times, this knife is so many times better than a Delica, yet it doesn't get half the respect it deserves. I prefer the 4 but the 3 is awesome too. I keep begging Sal to bring out a ZDP/BRG version of both of them...they'd make such amazing knives especially a ZDP 4.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Clip

Post by Clip »

A ZDP Cento4 would suit me just fine.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't know the Cento's were 2mm stock!

Thanks for bumping, I'll probably have to try it out. Also, the ZDP sprint sounds nice. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Goeri

Post by Goeri »

Now the waiting gets even harder...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

David Lowry wrote:The Centofante III is one of the best knives Spyderco has made (IMHO). It is a master slicer.
+1
IMHO Cento3 is the best :spyder: in it's price range and considering how long it is in production, probably a good seller. If ZDP sprint will add only $20-30 to the price, probably it will be sold like hot pancakes, just keep the same black handle.

vic

Post by vic »

centofante 3 is one of the spydercos i have always wanted, thin HG blade, very nice

nothing i don't like about this knife from what i've seen
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

The Centofante 3 is all of what got me into Spyderco from the very beginning, thin, lightweight and pointy. Much like the first Delica III that I ever bought. I just got mine last week and am really liking its slicing abilities, it made short work of my cucumbers for lunch today.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I've been carrying and using the Cento for a few weeks now. This is one terrific slicing knife :D

The Delica is a time honored and proven design, A very tough and useful model, mine are both very sharp :) However the Cento breaks into new territory as a supreme slicer :D I reprofiled mine and sharpened to a delightfully "silly" edge. This model is the best slicer I now own :)

Encourage all who are contemplating another Delica to consider the Cento3 instead. For me at least the Cento is a very satisfying knife to use and carry :)

Enjoy and keep 'em sharp :)
Attachments
cento1 6-28 edges small.jpg
Charlie