Opinions of the final look of the TUFF?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you like the newest version of the TUFF?

YES
52%
NO
26%
NEVER LIKED THE DESIGN
22%

Total votes: 125

duvaldrummer

Opinions of the final look of the TUFF?

Post by duvaldrummer »

I mean this as no disrespect to the spyderco crew and Mr. Schempp, as I can only imagine the amount of work that went into this knife. I just want to know others opinions, positive or negative. Personally, it went from being at the top of my list to barely on my radar. I simply can't get over the random divots.
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
brewdiver87

Post by brewdiver87 »

Love it, divots and all!
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

I love the divots and probably wouldn't be interested without them. Makes it look sporty and modern...reminds me of golf.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

This model will most likely be out of my price range. Dimples don't bother me. As long as the handle is functional which it looks to be with that sweet negative blade angle, it's fine for me. The Tuff looks to be big, strong like bull :) I would love to try one.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I chose option 3. The divots don't bother me at all, but I have never really understood or liked the overall design, personal preference nothing more, I know some people are gagging for it.
410ericb

Post by 410ericb »

I love it but I only have so much money and having the Brad southard was high on my must haves. If it wasn't for that knife this was next.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I like the idea of divots but the pattern looks odd to me, unbalanced. It might just be a matter of getting used to it.

Other than that I like the design.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to reserve my opinion until after i've held and used one. I prefer form following function and i have a feeling that's what this is all about.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I was very disappointed when I saw the new dimpled pattern. I find it hideous, and it hasn't really grown on me yet. I'm going to give it a while, and wait to pick one up for a good price. I know I'll eventually end up getting one to complete my Ed Schempp collection. But I definitely won't be pre-ordering this one. Of course, no offense to Spyderco, just my personal preference.
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I can't help but think from the pictures alone that the function will be there. I'm also prejiduced by the Tuff being Mr Schempp's design and the piece's long development time.

Even though I will most likely never hold one, the looks and design intentions are very much appreciated :) Looking forward to this model's release :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, the Tuff is just another wrong handed overbuilt folder so I guess I'm in the "never liked the design" category. However, I do like the basic shape of both the blade and handle and, if it were done as a midlock with scales that matched and no fuller, I'd almost certainly buy one. I will say that the things others find esthetically pleasing or hideous often baffle me, but that's true of everything, not just knives. Heck I had a neighbor who thought his Aztec was the best looking SUV ever built. For me, the dimples are less "over the top" looking than the monster checkering they replaced and which, IIRC, Sal mentioned they decided was unacceptably hard on clothing. However, I'd also say the checkering worked better with the oversize fuller and dime size pivot to create a uniformly over the top look.

I do understand how folks can get excited over something, based on looks, and feel disappointed, frustrated, and somehow cheated when the looks don't turn out to be what they expected. Been there, done that. Done it more than once. It's one of the reasons that showing off, and even just discussing, upcoming models where the design has not yet been completely finalized has a degree of risk. IIRC, allowing the release of the photos of the checkered version was considered a mistake from early on.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Rayd

Post by Rayd »

I like it and have no doubt I'll end up with one. (after purchasing a few other knives)
It's more interesting than your standard G10, although I haven't seen what the original proto looked like.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I reserve the right to change my mind if I get the chance to hold one, but it seems way too heavy for its size. I carry my Vallotton on occasion that I thought that was heavy at 6.2 oz, and the Tuff is 6.6 oz. I always liked the titanium/g10 combination handle, but I am not sure yet about the dimples. They don't look bad, but I am wondering what kind of feel and grip they will bring.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

You left my category off of your list. Ambivalent. I like everything about the design except for the shape of the blade. The humped spine, blunt tip, and relatively short length compared to the handle don't do it for me. The GB Air is much more my style when it comes to folders. :D For a beefy knife, I'd go for something like the Rock and pass on any folder ever made. As far as the dimples go, I think they look great.

Gordon
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

'Ed Schempp knife' is enough for me and I also like the dimples.

IMO, if you use a knife for very long the shape of the knife is more critical to maintaining a good grip than aggressive textures and jimping. A knife carried for defense might be a different situation and call for more aggressive grip surfaces.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The earlier prototype photos of the Tuff put it on my radar. The addition of dimples took it off. But I'm not complaining. I have abundant other Spydies that do please my eye and I thank Spyderco for the choices.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I've never thought that it was in any way a good looking knife. To me it looks awkward and the fact that there is a MASSIVE choil taking up far far far too much valuable real estate makes it a definite no for me.

This is no slight against Ed at all. He seems to be a very knowledgeable and genuinely nice guy, but there has never been one of his designs that has felt right in my hand, and I think that they are all a little bit ugly to be honest.
On the hunt for...