Did I miss a deal? First-Gen Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Did I miss a deal? First-Gen Paramilitary

Post by kennethsime »

Hi all,

Was at a swap meet this weekend and passed on an original Spyderco Paramilitary w/ black blade. The guy wanted $150, and it was new, but I didn't really NEED it.

This being the first time I've seen an original (not a PM2), I got curious. I tried searching around online when I got home, and couldn't find any on ebay. Sears's website had what looked to be an 1st-gen for just over $200.

Do people collect these guys? What do they typically go for?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't think so.

The only time you can "miss out" when $150 is concerned are few and far between. A cf/s90v sprint, desired collab (Barong, Kris, Ronin, etc), or eccentric collector kind of knife. While its not unheard of paying $150 for a normal production discontinued knife the chance you lost out on more than $25-50 would be rare.

The Para2 by most (not all) is a superior knife and available for $100ish. Most (not all) prefer plain edge to serrations and satin to DLC type finishes. Buying on that basis alone all that needs to happen is for Spyderco to do a black-out serrated PM2 run to kick that knife's value down a notch more.

Just my two cents. I think that knife is worth $150-165 to the right buyer.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I'd pay $150 for a NIB Para 1 CPMD2 but not a standard production version. I am one of the "weirdos" who really like the original although the PM2 is certainly a winner. I have both and consider them interchangeable in my use.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

kennethsime wrote:Hi all,

Was at a swap meet this weekend and passed on an original Spyderco Paramilitary w/ black blade. The guy wanted $150, and it was new, but I didn't really NEED it.

This being the first time I've seen an original (not a PM2), I got curious. I tried searching around online when I got home, and couldn't find any on ebay. Sears's website had what looked to be an 1st-gen for just over $200.

Do people collect these guys? What do they typically go for?
$150 is in line with the selling price on the few that some online dealers still have in stock, but it is slightly higher than the standard Para 1 originally sold for. I just checked the prices on the dealers I know of that still have one or two and they're all over $150, though some are close.

It's up to you whether you want to pay that. I am not a real fan of the Para 2 like I am the Para 1, but I will say this. If this is your first Para, then the P2 will do fine for you. It's an outstanding knife and if you haven't handled or used a P1, you won't know the difference. The lower price of the P2 may make it a better value for a first time user.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you had a serious craving for one that price might be acceptable. However, IMHO if you have to ask you didn't miss a thing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cckw

Post by cckw »

I don't think it was a great deal. The advantage of PM1 (If I remember correctly) is that the cutting edge was 3" vs 3.5 or whatever the current is. so might make a difference in some cities with 3" limit on a carry knife.

I might add, that was not a hypothetical point. My city has a 3" law on folders.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Para1 also used 4mm thick blade stock.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Most go for around 120-130'ish on the exchange.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Blade HQ has the fully serrated blade PM1 in Satin for just under $130... so at $150 I still don't think it woulda been worth getting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would rather have the Para 2 black, which is much cheaper.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey kenneth,
I.m gonna go against the grain here and say that i like the para1 better.
I don't doubt that the 2 is a great knife, i just think the original is an iconic design.
I have the black on black para1, and it's my favorite edc.
The one i'm really wanting and searching for is the fg d2 version.
I'll admit the price is kind of high, but i myself would probably pay to have another para1 as a backup.
I was at smkw last weekend, and they had a fs para1 in the display for about the same price as you stated, and i was very tempted to get it.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey kenneth,
I.m gonna go against the grain here and say that i like the para1 better.
I don't doubt that the 2 is a great knife, i just think the original is an iconic design.
I have the black on black para1, and it's my favorite edc.
The one i'm really wanting and searching for is the fg d2 version.
I'll admit the price is kind of high, but i myself would probably pay to have another para1 as a backup.
I was at smkw last weekend, and they had a fs para1 in the display for about the same price as you stated, and i was very tempted to get it.
Later,
Don

I'll go against the grain with you, I also prefer the first Paramilitary. As far as prices go I just snagged one on the 'bay for $71. Well used, but I'm cleaning her up. I bought my last one for $85 I think? And that one was near new.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

It's high, but if you really dig the PM1 and prefer black-on-black it is up to you what that is worth.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

No doubt that the black-on-black PM1 is a great knife. But I think you were right to pass it up - you can find good ones on the forums for a lot less (down around the $100 range if you don't mind a gently used one).

TedP
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

phillipsted wrote:No doubt that the black-on-black PM1 is a great knife. But I think you were right to pass it up - you can find good ones on the forums for a lot less (down around the $100 range if you don't mind a gently used one).

TedP
I think I saw one at around that price in the exchange of one of the "knife forums" around.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Rwb1500 wrote:I'll go against the grain with you, I also prefer the first Paramilitary. As far as prices go I just snagged one on the 'bay for $71. Well used, but I'm cleaning her up. I bought my last one for $85 I think? And that one was near new.
I finally got my new (old) PM1 cleaned up. It took multiple applications of every cleaner, lube, and degreaser known to man, but now it purrs like a kitten. Now I just have to do something about the ugly sharpening job the previous owner did. It's sharp, but ugly as all ****, uneven, just no bueno. All in good time.

Dino jimping;

BAL

Post by BAL »

I am not sure on which way the grain is going here now, but If you have to ask, then I
don't think that you missed out. Simply meaning that if it didn't call out ot you at the time,
then it probably wasn't something high on your list. I have done simliar things many times
though and you just have to trust your first instincts. It might have been a fair price for
someone who really wants one, but now you have that same $150 to spend on ANYTHING
you want, Happy shopping.