Gayle Bradley vs Manix 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
waterford

Gayle Bradley vs Manix 2?

Post by waterford »

Hi,

Im about ready to purchase my first folding knive and I was was
about to pull the trigger on the Manix 2, to be used as my EDC and
for when I do my rail-trail bike riding.

Than I learned about the Gayle Bradley and was intrigued. It has
a bit more tradtional, sleeker look than the Manix 2. But, than I learned
its made in Taiwan?! Boy, what a disappointment, I just cant buy a
knive made in Taiwan or China, made Japan, but I STRONGLY prefer
American-Made knifes, firearms and high end optics, more for the pride of ownership.

What surprised me even more is the Gayle Bradley is almost 3 times
the cost of the Manix 2, which is made in the USA!

Was the fact that the Gayle Bradley made in Taiwan also a deal
breaker for you too??
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

waterford wrote:Hi,

its made in Taiwan?! Boy, what a disappointment, I just cant buy a
knive made in Taiwan or China, made Japan, but I STRONGLY prefer
American-Made knifes, firearms and high end optics, more for the pride of ownership.

What surprised me even more is the Gayle Bradley is almost 3 times
the cost of the Manix 2, which is made in the USA!

breaker for you too??
The fact that the GB was made by one of Spyderco's better makers made me get two of them.
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Just because a knife or a gun is made overseas, doesnt mean that its a piece of crap.
Almost every person on here that owns a GB, loves theirs and that they are knives that are built like a tank.

Even though I would also rather have an American made knife, you still can't base your decision on where a knife is made, unless its like a cheapo $5 knife that you get at gas stations!!!

I don't mean to be rude, but I just had to say somethin...
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar

Post by 1623 »

waterford wrote: Was the fact that the Gayle Bradley made in Taiwan also a deal
breaker for you too??
Nope.

This topic comes up quite often on the forums. I respect your "Made in America" outlook but I will tell you that the Spyderco knives produced in the Taichung factory are as close to perfection as you will find anywhere.

The Manix line is outstanding and I would put them in the same category as the GB, the Military and the Paramilitary 2.

You have many options if you choose to abide by your standard, but I honestly feel that you're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring models not made in Golden.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
waterford

Post by waterford »

I NEVER said it was a piece of crap! I dont mean to be rude either, but please dont mis-quote me! Quite the contrary, it is built like a tank, I agree.
I would much rather support hard working Americans, than 15 year old boys in a sweat shop in Taiwan, earning $2.50/hour.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

waterford wrote:I NEVER said it was a piece of crap! I dont mean to be rude either, but please dont mis-quote me! Quite the contrary, it is built like a tank, I agree.
I would much rather support hard working Americans, than 15 year old boys in a sweat shop in Taiwan, earning $2.50/hour.

Oh boy, here we go again!

Now how would you know that?
waterford

Post by waterford »

I am wondering will this trend continue in the coming years? Will American knive manufacturers like Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, etc all eventually be pressured to move ALL 100% of production
to China and Taiwan? Sadly, I suspect this will eventually become reality. The pressure is just too great.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would be $200: the CF Dodo will be priced at $180 with CF and CPM-S30v not M4. Also, the Taiwan plant makes knives because they are total badasses not because it's a child herding shop of horrors.

Do you have any clue what the shop in Taiwan looks like (i don't) or have you even typed Taiwan on Google images? Ask more questions, push less stereotypes, and try not to become one yourself.

Welcome to the forums :) .

Ps: Benchmade moved all production to the USA last year I believe.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This would get information in a more civil way:
waterford wrote:Hi,

its made in Taiwan.

breaker for you too??
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think you're wrong. There are a lot of considerations other than simple labor cost. Also, Taiwan is *not* a low labor cost economy - lumping Taiwan and China together is a mistake.
waterford wrote:I am wondering will this trend continue in the coming years? Will American knive manufacturers like Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, etc all eventually be pressured to move ALL 100% of production
to China and Taiwan? Sadly, I suspect this will eventually become reality. The pressure is just too great.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would hear you if you said that by buying the Taiwan made knife, it would cause the economy to collapse and you to lose your job and for town around you to die. I think this is an exception, the Manix alone isn't going to save the economy.

Putting pride aside, I think the Gayle Bradley is a higher quality knife and it is a great knife.

The lock is a little tougher to disengage on the Gayle Bradley and the price is a little higher. Those are the only arguments I know of for why to buy the Manix over the Gayle Bradley.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
waterford

Post by waterford »

Donut,

Really, you feel the GB is a better quality knive over the Manix 2?? Unfortunately, my local retailer only had the Manix 2 in stock for me to handle..thats interesting.
Also, there really seems to be a great passion for the Para Military 2 as the better EDC over the Manix 2 on these forums....true?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The GB is on par with semi-customs. The Manix2 and Para2 are excellent products and shouldn't be faulted in that upper escelon of F&F.

Many people only buy Spyderco's from Golden. They never get anything but a quality product for the money. If convicted as such you still have an excellent selection.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The fact that the GB was made by one of Spyderco's better makers made me get two of them.
Me too!

Ken
玉鋼
TBob

Post by TBob »

I'm guessing that OP has not actually been to and done business with Taiwan. I have. They have top-notch capabilities in a host of areas. Spyderco leadership meets with their overseas providers regularly and ensures the utmost quality from them. I have Spydercos made in Seki, Japan, as well as Taiwan and Colorado. There's no quality difference between them. My EDC if from Seki and uses a Japanese steel from Hitachi that's the best in the world for knife blades. Professional chef knives made from it cost a fortune.

My GB shows outstanding fit and finish. The CPM M4 blade steel comes from the U.S. and is provided to the Taiwan maker. CPM M4 is an expensive powedered steel, and the carbon fiber on the GB isn't cheap, either. Together with the high-quality manufacturing, these make an outstanding knife for heavy-duty work. Gayle Bradley himself is a legend in knifemaking. Spyderco collaborating with Bradley brings an incredible knife to us a bargain price.

The Manix 2 is a nice knife, but not in the same class as the GB as far as materials. If you can scratch together the clams, the GB is the way to go.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

TBob wrote:I'm guessing that no one else here has actually been to and done business with Taiwan. I have. They have top-notch capabilities in a host of areas. Spyderco leadership meets with their overseas providers regularly and ensures the utmost quality from them. I have Spydercos made in Seki, Japan, as well as Taiwan and Colorado. There's no quality difference between them. My EDC if from Seki and uses a Japanese steel from Hitachi that's the best in the world for knife blades. Professional chef knives made from it cost a fortune.

My GB shows outstanding fit and finish. The CPM M4 blade steel comes from the U.S. and is provided to the Taiwan maker. CPM M4 is an expensive powedered steel, and the carbon fiber on the GB isn't cheap, either. Together with the high-quality manufacturing, these make an outstanding knife for heavy-duty work. Gayle Bradley himself is a legend in knifemaking. Spyderco collaborating with Bradley brings an incredible knife to us a bargain price.

The Manix 2 is a nice knife, but not in the same class as the GB as far as materials. If you can scratch together the clams, the GB is the way to go.
Best explanation I've read. Kudos.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

TBob wrote:I'm guessing that OP has not actually been to and done business with Taiwan. I have.
Actually, yes, I have.

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think if you want something that compares to the GB in quality, but is USA made, the Para 2 is your best bet. It saves you a little money while you're at it, depending on which one you want.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mley1

Post by mley1 »

I recently aquired a Gayle Bradley. And I have handled a Manix 2. The GB has better materials. And mine has exceptional fit and finish. I also have PM2's. Plus a Sage 1 from the Taichung factory in Taiwan. The GB and Sage 1 really shine with their quality materials and f&f. I believe I'll be buying more knives made in the Taichung factory. They do good work.
Thanks,

Marty
waterford

Post by waterford »

Thanks guys,

As a lefty, it appears that the Para 2 is NOT very lefty freindly, as opposed to the Manix 2 which is FULLY ambidextrous, correct??

Also, exactly what parts of the GB are better materials than the Manix 2? I handled the Manix 2 today, that thing just oozes quality, to me! I also handled the Benchmade 940 which felt like a toy
compared to the Manix 2.