CPM-M4 patina on tang

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

CPM-M4 patina on tang

Post by Clip »

New member, first post on here!

I'm awaiting delivery of a CPM-M4 bladed Manix 2 and to pass the time, I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about the steel. I've been reading about the patina and how some people prefer to coat their blades in products such as Militec-1 and Tuf-Glide (I've got some on the way as well).

On the fence if I'll use it or try to develop a patina naturally. To the people that are fans of the patina on M4 - what do you do about the tang? I can see great results from natural use (cutting fruit, etc) but don't believe the tang would see this type of acidic wear. Do you let it go and not worry about it or keep that area lubed with a product like Tuf-Glide?
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

First if all, welcome to the forums! I took my Gayle Bradley apart and used vinegar to force the patina. Before I reassembled it, I lightly sanded where the washers make contact and applied Tuf-Glide to the entire blade. I will continue to apply it mainly to the pivot area to protect it if water was to get in there.
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Clip

Post by Clip »

We'll see how it plays out once I get it and put it to daily use. The way I read the warranty it looks like I'll void it by disassembling to modify it. So for now, I'll see how things do naturally. Of course, once it gets nice and broken in, I wouldn't mind a modification here and there :)

Thanks for the quick reply, any pictures of the finished product?