Spyderco's First Flipper!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheMelonPopper

Spyderco's First Flipper!

Post by TheMelonPopper »

Just in case this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DBFEnu ... AAAAAAAAAA
Two is one, one is none.
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

What would be the use of having a spyderhole and a flipper?
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

hawaiihunter wrote:What would be the use of having a spyderhole and a flipper?
Many flipper knives also have thumb studs. It's just another way of opening it.

The driving reason for this one (I think) is due to it being a Southard collaboration. Similar to how Spyderco doesn't really do tanto blades unless it's a Lum design.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I'm really looking forward to that one.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I love flippers but I don't always like the thwack my blade open in public. Thumbhole helps this IMO. Plus I want a flipper with Spyderco's awesomeness added to it and it's not like they're going to make folder without a thumbhole...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

TheMelonPopper wrote:Just in case this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DBFEnu ... AAAAAAAAAA
It was posted in the Amsterdam thread.
Uses:

1) Identification and branding - the trademark round hole quickly and easily identifies this as a Spyderco brand knife.

2) Discretion - sometimes you don't want to loudly and obviously snap a knife open. The hole allows for slower (and quieter) openings.

P.S. Looks like jossta beat me to it! His post wasn't there when I first started very slowly typing my reply on my iPod...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Don't see any point in this. The hole is the reason I got in to Spyderco to start with. Just because of that, this one is not on my list to get. I know there are a lot of opinions about that, but the way I look at it is "if it's not broken, why fix it". The Spyderco hole is the way to open a knife for me. Not a big fan of the knife design either.
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Where do we pre-order
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

DiKa wrote:Don't see any point in this. The hole is the reason I got in to Spyderco to start with. Just because of that, this one is not on my list to get. I know there are a lot of opinions about that, but the way I look at it is "if it's not broken, why fix it". The Spyderco hole is the way to open a knife for me. Not a big fan of the knife design either.
....the flipper is just an element in the design; not good or bad. As Sal would say, just different. The nice thing about Spyderco is there seems to be something for everyone. I try to appreciate the uniqueness of each of Spyderco's knives, and then pass on the ones that might not work for me. But I have the same issue that most of us have that hang out here.....nearly every model Spyderco releases seems to work for me. lol. :D
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

sign me up for 3!

something about three...

Three of every Spyderco I like... except the Fluted Ti Millie... Can't find a third fluted Ti Millie anywhere!
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I like the looks of this knife, and would be happy to try out a flipper design. The blade-steel is a good choice; knife looks like a nice size for EDC. I suspect I'll buy one when it's available. Thanks, Eric, Sal and gang.
Sonny
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Check AG Russel - thought I saw one there last I was up.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Well there is even less reason for a hole in a fixed blade but that doesn't stop them being being darn sweet knives.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Glad to hear Eric confirm that the Spyderco version is using a ball bearing system.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

jabba359 wrote: 1) Identification and branding - the trademark round hole quickly and easily identifies this as a Spyderco brand knife.
It ain't necessarily true...

Take a look at my new Benchmade.
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeafck ... tonly.aspx

I got it yesterday. Benchmade and a former Seal Team member Chris Caracci collaborated on this design. This is basically a "famous" BM model 701 on steroids. As I understand it, the Spyderco "spyder-hole" trademark has expired, and so is free for other manufacturers to use as desired. Benchmark knows a good thing when it sees it.
I enjoy both brands immensely.
Sonny
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the same reason the Vallotton has a thumb stud. It's a collaboration thing. Some makers have certain trademark type things they wish to have incorporated into their collab knives and i'm assuming this is something Brad Southard wanted on his model. It also has to do with the fact this is Brad's design which was already laid out so Spyderco is just putting their touch on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Regardless of one's feelings on the flipper, this appears to be a very nice design. I would very much like to hold one. :D I've owned several "flipper" knives and have been impressed. I'm sure Spyderco will do a fantastic job with this model. Maybe I should start writing my list to Santa now... :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jossta

Post by jossta »

Sonny wrote:It ain't necessarily true...

Take a look at my new Benchmade.
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeafck ... tonly.aspx

I got it yesterday. Benchmade and a former Seal Team member Chris Caracci collaborated on this design. This is basically a "famous" BM model 701 on steroids. As I understand it, the Spyderco "spyder-hole" trademark has expired, and so is free for other manufacturers to use as desired. Benchmark knows a good thing when it sees it.
I enjoy both brands immensely.
Sonny
Regardless of who uses it, the round hole opener is still a widely recognized feature of Spyderco. Hence why all custom makers that use it do so w/ Spyderco's permission and pay (very small) royalties to Spyderco. Just b/c someone else uses it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a signature feature of Spyderco. Benchmade's use of the round hole hasn't exactly always been that well received either. IIRC, your "new" Benchmade was one of the models where this happened which I believe is why the early liner lock ones had a round hole, but the axis long ones after them moved to a round hole. I could be totally off base though and I shouldn't be talking about this anyway on here but there are people on here that boycott Benchmade.
DeltaWhiskey

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

So apparently patents are good for 20 years...who knew? I didn't...anyway I like the flipper. Don't know about all of you but I am getting a back log of Spydies that I want.
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

DeltaWhiskey wrote:So apparently patents are good for 20 years...who knew? I didn't...anyway I like the flipper. Don't know about all of you but I am getting a back log of Spydies that I want.
There is no question that the copyright has expired. The issue in question is trademark, a completely different legal issue. The patent covered any kind of hole in the blade. The trademark issue concerns only the round hole.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897