Mule Team HRc Information

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Is there somebody who can compile a list in numerical order of the mule team steel from 01 to where we are now I for one would be grateful thanks.
In a system like below .
1)-
2)-
3)-
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bladekeeper wrote:Is there somebody who can compile a list in numerical order of the mule team steel from 01 to where we are now I for one would be grateful thanks.
In a system like below .
1)-
2)-
3)-
I keep this list up to date: http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=MT_Mule_Team

Alternatively, Spyderco has a list in their edge-u-cation section, though not completely up to date (as of me typing this): http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=13
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Many thanks jabba much appreciated has the extra info too I wanted for a print out :) .
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Is there somebody who can compile a list in numerical order of the mule team steel from 01 to where we are now I for one would be grateful thanks.
O-1 hasn't been used in the mule team program. It is however in the Bushcrafter and is a very nice fit there IMO.

52100 was the first mule released and it might be what you are thinking of. It was one of my 5 favorites of Mule team steels so far.

Not in order:

Cruwear
CPM M4
S90V
CTS-B75 ( Carpenters powder steel version of BG42, owned and made by Latrobe which now, along with crucible are owned by carpenter. So I read somewhere anyway. I do know I like this steel.

The CTS steels in general have been good IMO. I haven't found one yet I disliked. The CTS version of S30V I like more than real S30V. No tests on that, just a feeling while cutting, and on the stones. Likewise the 20CP ( which is Carpenters version of S90V) stands up as every bit an excellent steel as S90V is, which is saying a lot. Once again, just my feelings, not facts.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think he meant zero-one rather than Oscar-one :) but posts from Joe are always good reading. :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Mastiff wrote:Likewise the 20CP ( which is Carpenters version of S90V) stands up as every bit an excellent steel as S90V is, which is saying a lot. Joe
Joe - I just gave my 20CP Para 2 a good sharpening this weekend on the WEPS. It has kept its last edge for almost two months of daily use (not hard use, but I don't baby it either). This sharpening was mainly just a touch-up using the existing edge bevel angles - so I was able to spend most of my time getting the apex extremely refined and polished. In the process of setting the edge bevel at 30 degrees, I plowed over the 40 degree micro bevel that I had established during the last sharpening. It will be interesting to see how this 30 degree edge holds up to the 30/40 combo bevel...

All I can say is "Wow". What a great steel. It is so now sharp that I'm truly afraid to casually flick it when I'm sitting on the couch in the evening! :eek:

TedP
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

All I can say is "Wow". What a great steel. It is so now sharp that I'm truly afraid to casually flick it when I'm sitting on the couch in the evening!
heh! Be careful. That one slipped under the radar for a lot of people. By looking at prices on the secondary market lately it looks like more people are trying to grab them up. S90V got a headstart and is better known but people who have one know how they perform.
I think he meant zero-one rather than Oscar-one
Thanks. I guess I wasn't thinking that one through when I read it.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I actually thought it may read like that when I read it back :D never know could be a 01 mule in the future thanks mastiff a man after my own heart.
Although mine have been bull mastiffs ;) .
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

The Mastiff wrote:heh! Be careful. That one slipped under the radar for a lot of people. By looking at prices on the secondary market lately it looks like more people are trying to grab them up. S90V got a headstart and is better known but people who have one know how they perform.
Well said Joe. I much prefer to carry/use my CF M390 Millie, but I have not sold the 20CP PM2 simply because the steel is that good. It has become my EDC when going to the office since it is smaller and less intimidating than the Millie :)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Updated to add a placeholder for the MT17P K390 Mule. Several older Mules have no data - please feel free to post here if you have test results.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

K390 added
sal wrote:The one I tested on the handle was 62/64.

sal
JLS

Post by JLS »

Finally tested my K390 Mule.

63.8-64.1 HRC spread over 3 tests. This should be good!
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

JLS wrote:Finally tested my K390 Mule.

63.8-64.1 HRC spread over 3 tests. This should be good!

Thanks, JLS! I'll update here and at BF. Note: due to post character limits, the first post continues in #2 on the first page. :spyder:
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Thank you for this thread!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MT-18 added.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

MT-18 updated - thanks JLS!
JLS wrote:Just wanted to share hardness test results on my S110V Mule that I feel very lucky to have snagged on Monday.

For some background, calibration on a Rockwell hardness test machine is verified on a test block that normally has a +/- 1HRC tolerance on it. These test blocks come in various ranges and it's important to verify calibration as close to the expected range as possible. The test block was a 55.6 HRC test block. The calibration was at the lower end of acceptable (54.7 HRC) on the test block, but still in tolerance so I'll report the raw numbers. I got measurements between 58.7 HRC towards the butt end of the tang to 59.4 HRC just behind the plunge line. That's very good consistency, but perhaps not as high as I would've liked to see. It's still going to be a beast of a knife with regard to edge holding, but it may be some of the reason it didn't rank as high as I might have expected in Jim Ankerson's testing. I know he said he'd be sending his out for hardness testing as well; it'll be interesting to see those results as well.

Cliff Notes version - MT18, S110V hardness test results, average of 5 tests on one blade, 59.1 HRC
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Updated with Jim Ankerson's additional info on the MT18 - thanks Jim!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks, guys.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Thank you very much for this thread.

Also to all the contributors.

I for one really appreciate the effort!

Rookie.

:)
JNewell

Re: Mule Team HRc Information

Post by JNewell »

Has anyone seen any hardness test results on the MT19?