Paramilitary 2 - Tip Up or Tip Down carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hooterville

Paramilitary 2 - Tip Up or Tip Down carry?

Post by Hooterville »

Do you have your Paramilitary 2 as a tip up or tip down carry?
When I move the clip for tip up carry the knife does not seat well in the corner of my pockets. It seems like this method pushes the knife out from being carried in the back corner of the pocket.

Am I crazy or are there others that feel this way? :eek:
BAL

Post by BAL »

I carry mine tip down or loose in my front pocket. I know what you mean about changing from one to the other and how if can affect teh way that a knife clips in the pocket. I left my Yojimbo 2 tip-up, the way that it was delivererd, but it is one that definately would fit differently with a change, due to the shape of the handle.

Now, about you being crazy, that's still up for debate. Does your name refer to a young Miss Haney or say an older Mr. Haney, if you know what I mean. Or perhaps, something totally different, if I recall my college years.
KBR

Post by KBR »

I carry my Para 2 tip down...since I carried the Military for a long period of time, carrying the Para this way seems natural and I don't have any problem drawing, opening, cutting, closing and putting it back in pocket. I've found that each knife besides the Para is different for me though....some are carried tip up, others tip down.

YMMV
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Tip up all the way. I would consider this knife my tactical blade and tip up is faster deployment for me.

Like how it looks too lol
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Para 2 is in the size range where either could work well. So it's personal preference. For me, tip up works better.
:bug-red-white
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Same way I carry every other folder I own, tip up. It's the only reason I don't carry a Military. No tip up option :(

These topics always seem to get into which mode is better, faster, more tacti-cool. I'm not saying tip up is the right way or the best way. It's my way. YMMV
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Almost all my knives are tip up, which I carry in my right-hand pocket to keep the spine against the back seam of the pocket. I only had two tip up knives before my Para 2 (Military and Calypso Jr) to rotate through my left pocket -again, to keep the spine against the back seam of the pocket- so I left the Para 2 as tip down so that I would have one more knife to rotate on the left.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Really it is all preference. Sometimes it has to do with SD and getting it out faster, sometimes it has to do with the first knife you bought and that is what you got used to, other times, people tried all different ways and settled on what they felt most comfortable with...me personally, I like tip down. I don't carry for SD and I just find that when I pull a knife out, in this case the Para2, my thumb is just automatically in the hole...

And there are times when I have no choice...Caly, UKPK and so I just deal with it. There has never been a time when I didn't know, without thought, what knife I am carrying and so if its tip up or down my hand just automatically does what it should to get the knife out and open, then back again.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Assuming the knife were aligned as close as possible to the rearmost part of the pocket, it seems to me that tip up would reduce the chance of accidental openings. I haven't had any problems carrying my PM2 tip up, but then again I've only had it for one day.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

-F1 wrote:Assuming the knife were aligned as close as possible to the rearmost part of the pocket, it seems to me that tip up would reduce the chance of accidental openings. I haven't had any problems carrying my PM2 tip up, but then again I've only had it for one day.
Yep, that's why I carry mine with the spine to the back, to prevent accidental openings.

P.S. LOL at your new avatar! :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I like tip down but hate the jimped thumb ramps when trying to bypass the knife reaching in your pocket.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Tip up here, too. All my clipped folders carry tip up so the ergonomics of deployment are substantially the same no matter which one I am carrying that day.
rjowen0984

Post by rjowen0984 »

I like tip down because I carried a military for quite a long time so it feels comfortable. When I pullout tip down my thumb is on the hole and ready to open, feels natural. I order where possible tip down, so customs, para2 and any other ill do tip down.

I got 2 new knives yesterday which are my first ever tip up, one spyderco caly3.5 super blue and one benchmade ares m390. First hour was weird but used to it by now.

Tip down seems safer but I saw someone post otherwise?!? I thought it was safer because even if it opens in pocket when you pull up resistance of pants closes it?

I order my first para mil2 this week and will carry tip down because I'm used to Military, it's like the perfect mini military because babies and grannies don't cry when you pull out a huge knife!;-)
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I carry mine whichever way it rides deepest in my pocket. In the case of the Para2, it's tip down.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Tip up, outermost edge of right rear jeans pocket.
I can draw the knife and open the blade in 1 motion before it is in front of me.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Blerv wrote:I like tip down but hate the jimped thumb ramps when trying to bypass the knife reaching in your pocket.
Exactly. Either reaching into the pocket or just keeping your hand there can be uncomfortable. The Tenacious is horrendous in that regard with that sharp corner it has; it's what made me switch to tip-up.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Tip up for me.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

tip up.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
Mjolnir74

Post by Mjolnir74 »

Tip up.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Tip up because I like not having the flesh torn off my hand from the thumb ramp jimping.
Also I can deploy the knife a tad faster tip up.

It would be nice if the para2 came with the clip positioned for tip up carry so there isn't a depression in the g10 when you move the clip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]