Favorite Fondling Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zunedog31

Favorite Fondling Knife?

Post by zunedog31 »

What knife would you say is your favorite :spyder: to mindlessly flip open and closed while watching tv or when online? I am looking for a knife for this purpose. Also what modifications did you do to it to make it perfect ie. oil, loosening the pivot screw etc.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's hard to beat a Manix 2 for this...the ball bearing lock is awesome to play around with. You can open and close that knife without ever touching the blade. I'm honestly a little jealous that the Para 2 (which i prefer over the Manix 2) doesn't have the ball bearing lock, even though the compression lock is plenty awesome itself. I've gotten really good at opening my Para 2 with my ring finger in a reverse grip which is pretty fun. I didn't really have to do any modifications to it...it's one of the smoothest opening Spyderco knives i've owned, but i do lube the pivots of all my knives with White Lightning Easy Lube.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zunedog31

Post by zunedog31 »

Evil D wrote:It's hard to beat a Manix 2 for this...the ball bearing lock is awesome to play around with.
:eek: Dude you need to tell me how to do this because I have the Manix2 and I have a tough time enjoying the ball lock. I guess i need to get used to it but that ball lock is not easy to manipulate for me at least.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

With my para 2, I can just push the compression lock and flick the blade open switchblade style. Or just open it with the thumb hole super fast because it is like butter.
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Evil D wrote:It's hard to beat a Manix 2 for this...the ball bearing lock is awesome to play around with. You can open and close that knife without ever touching the blade. I'm honestly a little jealous that the Para 2 (which i prefer over the Manix 2) doesn't have the ball bearing lock, even though the compression lock is plenty awesome itself. I've gotten really good at opening my Para 2 with my ring finger in a reverse grip which is pretty fun. I didn't really have to do any modifications to it...it's one of the smoothest opening Spyderco knives i've owned, but i do lube the pivots of all my knives with White Lightning Easy Lube.
I'm with you, Evil. Hard to beat the Manix 2 or the Para 2 for "pure fiddlin' pleasure".

I also like the UKPK or Terzuola non-locking knives as well - you can crank them open and closed with out having to fiddle with the lock. The thumbramp on the Turzuola is especially good for flippin...

TedP
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Used to be any liner lock type, but since I got my Para2, nothing else is my favorite to flip open and closed. Mainly because, it can be open and closed by flipping in both directions. Of course, one time, I did nick my pinky while flipping it closed...my son was watching the demonstration and laughed at me...
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Sage 3.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

My harem is still fairly humble, but I like to goof around with my native 5, but after that I have an odd affinity for my black Delica combo-edge. The heavier hollow-grind blade somehow makes it feel more substantial than my FFG Delica.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Lignum vitae Stetch, fun to open and close, and I find it calming just to rub my thumb on the smooth wood.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Lately it's been the Zowada. Not the easiest to manipulate due to the small Spydie hole, but I've gotten fairly used to it and can open it quickly into a saber or hammer grip. To me the sound of the solid lock up and silky texture of the contoured handle makes the Zowada feel like a precision instrument...almost intoxicating.

I also like the Para 2.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zunedog31 wrote: :eek: Dude you need to tell me how to do this because I have the Manix2 and I have a tough time enjoying the ball lock. I guess i need to get used to it but that ball lock is not easy to manipulate for me at least.
If you pull the lock back when the knife is closed, it'll let the blade fall freely open. If you get the timing just right you can pull the lock and let the blade swing open and then shut it just in time to lock it, then do the same in reverse to close it. I actually prefer the action of the ball lock over the compression lock, because you have a better grip on the knife when operating the lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I agree with EvilD, , the Manix is hard to beat. I'd say a Para2 would be 2nd with the GB coming in a close 3rd.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

As far as Spydies go its probably gonna be the Para 2 for me as well....that or something like my Tasman just because I've had it so long and its so broken in....find myself "fondling" that one quite a bit actually. The Balance is fun to mess with too....I've been at work just playin' round with that one all night at times.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zdp189 FRN Stretch. I like the others but few match it in comfortable slicing.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Currently my newest blade I cannot open, it's a Schempp Rock. But I love holding the thing.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

All of them. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
brayou85

Post by brayou85 »

SAGE 3. i dont own a manix but id say they are close. Hugely underrated knife. And good fun.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

My spyderco poliwog g10 (discontinued) , Böker Special Run Leopard III Damast DLC and CRKT m16 13LE (discontinued).
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Superleaf.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

In spite of my owning 7 or 8 Manix2's, I'm not as fond of the caged ball lock for just idle open/closing -- in order to close it one-handed, I have to use both my thumb and forefinger to pull back on the lock while bracing the butt of the knife against my palm, which doesn't allow me to control the blade - I just have to make sure my fingers are clear when gravity pulls the blade down!

My smoothest-opening knife would have to be my Chockwe, absolutely butter-smooth.

As for fondling a knife without continually opening/closing, I really like the feel of the polished CF on my Michael Walker. Just rubbing my fingers up and down the CF, and then occasionally cycling it open/closed, I really like the feel of it.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)