Stabbing a tire

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Stabbing a tire

Post by jackknifeh »

Has anyone ever stabbed a fully inflated tire with a folding knife? I was just watching a movie where someone had stabbed a tire to keep the bad guys from following him and it got me thinking about it. I don’t think a Gayle Bradley, Military, Manix2 or any of those guys would have a problem but I’ve never done it. Normally I have the Sage 1 on me. I have no reason to think it would fail but the liners on that knife aren't the thickest in the world. I also have no reason to think I’ll ever need to stab someone’s tire but that need would present itself way before I would ever need to stab the hood or door. I think I’m covered either way because I do have a Ladybug on order. :) I also thought the shape of the blade might play a big part. If there is a lot of curve in the spine like a warncliff that may make the blade want to fold closed. A shape where the edge curves up to a straight spine I think would puncture better. Any thoughts or better yet, experience?

Jack
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'm a FF and we're taught to flatten a tire for stabilization when needed on auto accidents. This does a few things, it lessens the chance of rolling forward or backward, and puts the car on the ground/or closer to it. When using extrication equipment and chocks are used, flattening tires really does help get a firmer platform. Tanto blades work great, any with a narrow tip work though. I do always think of lock up prior to my stab, as well as a good grasp on the knife.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Yes I have... You didnt hear that though, lol. Cheap gas station hawkbill linerlock worked, Im sure a GB would do just fine ;) . Who wronged you Jack? hahahah.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only time I ever flattened tires, I did it by removing the valve stems.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

You should be good to go if you stab the sidewall of a tire. I've done it a couple of times with a CRKT 21 and it went in and out with no problems.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I flattened a few tires and sidewalls are pretty **** soft. Don't stab. Just press the tip in with the knife angled a bit upward and with a downward pressure so the load is on the stop pin, not on the lock. You can do it with a slippie if you're careful.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I've stabbed my leatherman pliers into a sidewall before. Pretty soft stuff.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Tire sidewalls, especially passenger car version, is really thin, anything sharp would go through it like butter. You don't even need to stab, just put the point to it and push in.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

we were drilling on a car awhile back. as mentioned above you want to get the tires flat to stabilize the car. the insructor told us to just pull the valve stems, stabbing would take too long and you might get hurt if you didnt get it thru the tire or losing control of the knife if it did make it thru. i went on the other side of the car and cut into the sidewall with the jumpmaster. it made a pretty loud pop and cut easily into the tire.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

While working as a Bail Enforcement Agent we did a lot of tires...I used a Hypodermic Fluted Ice Pick, with a hole through the handle to let the air out...also empties gas cans, bladders and anything else that needs a quick emptying....All we used to do was push in with force and walla...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Hypodermic Fluted Ice Pick... Ive never heard of anything that sounds more like a murder weapon, hahahahh! doc where the **** did you get that?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

DCDesigns wrote:Hypodermic Fluted Ice Pick... Ive never heard of anything that sounds more like a murder weapon, hahahahh! doc where the **** did you get that?
I know ice fishermen with those.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

DCDesigns wrote:Hypodermic Fluted Ice Pick... Ive never heard of anything that sounds more like a murder weapon, hahahahh! doc where the **** did you get that?
Mine is made from Titanium, they were used during Desert Storm , to dig for landmines
[img][IMG]http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33 ... 7_1559.jpg[/img][/IMG]
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:While working as a Bail Enforcement Agent we did a lot of tires...I used a Hypodermic Fluted Ice Pick, with a hole through the handle to let the air out...also empties gas cans, bladders and anything else that needs a quick emptying....All we used to do was push in with force and walla...Doc :D
Murder weapon sounds about right. How would you empty someone's bladder without murdering him/her? :eek:

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think your best bet would be to cut the valve stem. Quick and not so dangerous.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Lots of good suggestions. Much appreciated. Now for the testing. If you see on the news of a serial tire slasher in the country just keep in mind... I was in Phoenix. :D

Jack
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I had a situation where there was a large van parked for over two months straight in a very unsafe location for other drivers coming in and out of my apartment complex. Police couldn't do anything as it seemed drivable so I asked all of my fellow tenants if it was their van before I "took care of the potential mobility problem". Not sure what tires you guys have been poking holes into, but my experience as a 6' 2" anf 200-plus pound guy with some knife training in a point-driven methodology was far from "like a knife through butter" when I went at the sidewall.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Like others have mentioned, there is zero need to stab. I've found the best spot to puncture is just outside the tread, about where the lettering is on the sidewall. Put your tip against the tire, angle it downward, and put a little weight on it. I've seen an Endura, Sebenza, Emerson Commander, and Griptilian all go through with no issue.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Stabbing a new tire is not that hard, it is the real old ones that have been backed hard by the sun....those are the hard ones. Any good knife with a sharp point should be able to do it easily, the problem is that when you stab an inflated tire the amount of air that rushes out can be well....surprising and smelly! Cut the valve stem. Less surprises that way.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
dcmartin2001

Post by dcmartin2001 »

Im lovng the tech talk & all of the subtle nuances regarding stealth tire kills on this thread :D I have yet to see anyone mention Phillips head screw driver... "I swear officer, I was just tightening my license plate frame"