Spyderco's Made in china

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ranger51

Spyderco's Made in china

Post by ranger51 »

I have owned various spyderco knives that were made in China. Of course I was hesitant at first. That hesitation was put to rest almost right away. I have found that the knives made there are of high quality.
Does anyone else share my opinion?

All in all, I have found that spyderco's have high quality where ever they are made. :spyder: :)
justinrose40

Post by justinrose40 »

Yes, every time I show someone my Tenacious I have to say "well it's made in China but it's not a China Knife, it's still a Spyderco". To which they usually say something like, "yeah I could tell that as soon as you handed to me".
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The china made knives have become my go to gift knives... spreading the spyder-bite one christmas at a time. Only problem, even the budget line of spyderco knives are so much better than most of your average pocket knives that some of the people I've tried to convert just refuse to upgrade :p .

I was nervous about Sal & Co. getting into bed with the Chinese when they first announced it... but I will be the first to say that I love the results. These are solid products, IMHO.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

i like the 4 "china"-spydie's i have a lot . would love to see a "china"fixed blade (same steel and length of the resilliance)greeetzzzzzz
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bang for the buck is an understatement. They are very well built for the price range :) .

I recall the only prob with a FB is the sheath on that price point. Spyderco has very high standards for that stuff.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Blerv wrote:Bang for the buck is an understatement. They are very well built for the price range :) .

I recall the only prob with a FB is the sheath on that price point. Spyderco has very high standards for that stuff.
You don't think a nice nylon number would do the trick for the right price? I mean, I prefer leather and kydex... but for an inexpensive china-made FB, I'd take a decent rip stop sheath... at least until I could make myself a leather one :D .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jordan wrote:You don't think a nice nylon number would do the trick for the right price? I mean, I prefer leather and kydex... but for an inexpensive china-made FB, I'd take a decent rip stop sheath... at least until I could make myself a leather one :D .
Oh I think I'm less picky than the Spydercrew :) . It's their rep on the line, hehe.

I'm with you completely. I would like a fun Byrd-type fixed blade even if I had to do my own sheath or have a Kydex one prepped by a professional.

I'm hoping and praying Michael Janich someday does a Ronin w/o sheath in 8Cr13Mov. He hinted at the scarce chance once and I'm still hoping!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Fundamentally I do not like to purchase Chine-made products if there are other alternatives. However, I'd say the QC of Spyderco's China-made knives trump most anything out there for anywhere near the same price. I remember a long while back, shortly after the Byrd line came about, I was in the SFO and ran into Mrs. Glesser who talked to me about the Byrd line and went into detail about how they knew that in going to China that they would have to really look at their quality to ensure they give their customers exactly what they come to expect from their company. I think they have been successful in this.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yeh, coincidentally I dug out my Tenacious last week, slapped a workable edge on it an been carrying it. I think it's really hard to beat this knife at the price.

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have a Persistence and I love it. Great knife, and not just for the price either. And one thing that I really like, the blade shape. I like it far far better than the standard Spyderco leaf bade.
On the hunt for...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My Spyderco Mule Team 5 (9Cr18Mo) slices all my tomatoes. I would love a Spyderco kitchen knife set from the same alloy. I like my Spyderco Resilience too and they are much MUCH better than the US made knives I could afford in my younger days.

Today, I am privileged to enjoy the interesting design, fit and finish of Spyderco knives, old and new, from Golden, Taiwan, Japan, Italy and even one from Switzerland.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
BAL

Post by BAL »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Yeh, coincidentally I dug out my Tenacious last week, slapped a workable edge on it an been carrying it. I think it's really hard to beat this knife at the price.

Great picture Chuck, if I didn't already have a couple, i would now want one. I love all of the "Value Folders", they are indeed a great value, and tough well-made knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

BAL wrote:Great picture Chuck, if I didn't already have a couple, i would now want one. I love all of the "Value Folders", they are indeed a great value, and tough well-made knives.
Thanks. I bought this knife together with the Persistence and at the time, it was the Persistence that saw the most carry and use. My Tenacious remained mostly in the drawer because I deemed it too large for casual use(sometimes in public). Well, it's seeing use now. :D
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

While I prefer the quality of Spyderco's higher end models, I appreciate the value and quality of the China made models and enjoy using my two Tenacious models quite a bit. I recently spent two months touring manufacturing facilties in Shanghai (medical devices). While there I also chanced upon one of the biggest cutlery retail stores I've seen by US standards. I only wish I had more time to browse and examine the goods at the store, but alas I was on a tight business agenda. I can tell you the store was packed, and local customers seemed more interested in scissors and kitchen cutlery. I've never seen such a wide variety of high quality scissors. The couple of premium folding knives I had the chance to handle were excellent by any standard, but only made for their domestic market (and branded under Chinese names which I could neither read or prounouce). So I know first hand the Chinese are already producing cutlery as fine as Taichung, Seki, and Golden. It's only a matter of time before we see the premium stuff come here. Or maybe its already here, but I don't keep track of brands other than Spyderco.
$lug

Post by $lug »

I was searching Google for input on the Spyderco Resilience and came across this board and read through. Good to hear I think I will order one and give my first Spyderco a shot. Have been looking for one for a while but over 100 is generally out of my price range being a full time college student.

Of note while looking up lower cost but good quality knives I found the larger manufacturers (4 of them)that most likely make them in china.

Enlan, Sanrenmu, Bee, ganzo