Some switchblades/balisongs for California?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Minibear453

Some switchblades/balisongs for California?

Post by Minibear453 »

California has a length restriction of 2" on balisongs and switchblades. Any chance spyderco can make some that are at 1.90" for us Californians?
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Love the idea, I'm not an LEO though. Shhh ;) I'll take 2 pending funds :D
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
onecentweasel

Post by onecentweasel »

If I understand correctly the county Spyderco is located in has a law restricting knife manufacturers from selling any knife that is considered an auto (which includes bali's) to law enforcement or military only.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this issue can chime in and confirm....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

onecentweasel wrote:If I understand correctly the county Spyderco is located in has a law restricting knife manufacturers from selling any knife that is considered an auto (which includes bali's) to law enforcement or military only.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this issue can chime in and confirm....
If I understand things correctly, Colorado law prevents Spyderco from making balisongs which lock in the open position. Federal law, as misinterpreted by the 10th Circuit Court, makes them treat balisongs as automatics. Federal law prevents them from selling automatics to anyone but LEOs and military personnel across state lines and, since Colorado law makes no provision for private citizens owning them, they're restricted there as well.

Technically, the only autos that are totally legal to sell in CA are those that have blades 2" and under AND are manufactured in CA. If they're 2" or under and made anywhere else, they're legal by CA law, but still in violation of the Federal Switchblade act.

Of course, in the 60+ years it's been on the book, the Federal Switchblade Act has never been enforced against an individual. Still, from a Federal legal standpoint, the only place a automatic by any manufacturer can be legally sold to private citizens is the state in which it was manufactured, and then only if the state's laws allow it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

The Deacon wrote:If I understand things correctly, Colorado law prevents Spyderco from making balisongs which lock in the open position. Federal law, as misinterpreted by the 10th Circuit Court, makes them treat balisongs as automatics. Federal law prevents them from selling automatics to anyone but LEOs and military personnel across state lines and, since Colorado law makes no provision for private citizens owning them, they're restricted there as well.

Technically, the only autos that are totally legal to sell in CA are those that have blades 2" and under AND are manufactured in CA. If they're 2" or under and made anywhere else, they're legal by CA law, but still in violation of the Federal Switchblade act.

Of course, in the 60+ years it's been on the book, the Federal Switchblade Act has never been enforced against an individual. Still, from a Federal legal standpoint, the only place a automatic by any manufacturer can be legally sold to private citizens is the state in which it was manufactured, and then only if the state's laws allow it.
Hence why people in Oregon can own benchmade autos...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Minibear453 wrote:California has a length restriction of 2" on balisongs and switchblades. Any chance spyderco can make some that are at 1.90" for us Californians?
What in g-d's green earth would you do with a 1.90" balisong....certainly not flip it or use it for SD....if that's the case I'd rather have a steel nail file:I do own a couple of Cali legal switchblades and they are undoubtedly cool...but I won't carry one... pDoc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*