Caly Jr 2.0

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Caly Jr 2.0

Post by araneae »

Ok the other Caly thread got me thinking about the Caly line. It seems to me that there is a hole in the line up with a fairly easy solution. The lovable Caly Jr. The Jr was the original affordable lightweight lightsaber. Sadly, it doesn't seem like a sprint is likely anytime soon.

There is however another knife that is quite similar- the FRN UKPK. Its a great knife, but sometimes you just need a lock. I would imagine that it would not be that hard to modify the platform to be a locking Caly Jr 2. The pattern is proven, the design is great and the blade is essentially already being produced. The handles would need modification to fit the lock, but it would be fairly easy to do as a lockback or even a single liner Walker linerlock. Drop point and Leaf blade options would be nice and maybe even the wharnie that I keep hoping Sal will make.

What do you think?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I think you are trying to reinvent the Caly3.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Modding the FRN UKPK into a midlock would be really hard and, even if you could add a spring carrier, there may not be room for the spring. Making it into an old style liner lock might be possible, Walker style, not so much. I think the most feasible thing would be to bring back the Calypso Jr for another run, but Sal ruled that out when the black ZDP one was produced.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FRN Caly3 at the Delica price can be very interesting. I do not need one but will buy few for friends and family.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

So definitely no more versions of the Caly Jr. will be produced?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

BDNX wrote:So definitely no more versions of the Caly Jr. will be produced?
If so that's too bad as I'd really like one!! :(
sal

Post by sal »

BDNX wrote:So definitely no more versions of the Caly Jr. will be produced?
Actually Deacon is correct in my dropping the Calypso concept when the new more refined Caly3 / UKPK pattern was intoduced.

However, our Sles manager, Kelly, is thinking to make a micarta calypso jr.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Nice, a Micarta Calypso Jr. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
bh49

Post by bh49 »

this is a nice thought. I will buy for myself.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:Actually Deacon is correct in my dropping the Calypso concept when the new more refined Caly3 / UKPK pattern was intoduced.

sal
Cool! I never warmed up to the Caly3, the broader "neck" of the Caly Jr. fits my hand much better. I like the Micarta Calypso family.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

sal wrote:

sal
**** Yes Please!!

:D :D :D J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Cool pic! I hardly ever see Calypso's, especially the micarta. I didn't realize they were new enough to have VG-10 blades. I would expect to see ATS-55. Never had one.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

sal wrote:Actually Deacon is correct in my dropping the Calypso concept when the new more refined Caly3 / UKPK pattern was intoduced.

sal

Sal why do you tempt us so. Ok so bust out the Dodo sprint, and then onto the micarta caly jr. But what about colors and bladesteel?
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal
I like the way Kelly thinks. :D
Paul
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal
Kelly sounds like an intelligent woman. Sign me up.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sign me up too! I'd love to add another Caly Jr. to my collection!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote:Ok the other Caly thread got me thinking about the Caly line. It seems to me that there is a hole in the line up with a fairly easy solution. The lovable Caly Jr. The Jr was the original affordable lightweight lightsaber. Sadly, it doesn't seem like a sprint is likely anytime soon.

There is however another knife that is quite similar- the FRN UKPK. Its a great knife, but sometimes you just need a lock. I would imagine that it would not be that hard to modify the platform to be a locking Caly Jr 2. The pattern is proven, the design is great and the blade is essentially already being produced. The handles would need modification to fit the lock, but it would be fairly easy to do as a lockback or even a single liner Walker linerlock. Drop point and Leaf blade options would be nice and maybe even the wharnie that I keep hoping Sal will make.

What do you think?
I like how you think. :cool: I agree that it should be easy to make it into a back lock. The knife cries out for a lock for those of us that can use locks. It wouldn't be reinventing the Caly 3 - the UKPK's have their subtle differences that anyone can see. I'm a huge fan of the drop point, but barely use it because no lock. :( I'm sure they'd sell lots of these. And while we're at it, I'd love a new Wharncliffe, but not a dagger-like pointed one.

As for the micarta Caly Jr., I'd love one of those, too. What are the clip screws holding onto on this one? Can someone please tell me?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote: As for the micarta Caly Jr., I'd love one of those, too. What are the clip screws holding onto on this one? Can someone please tell me?

- best wishes, Jazz.
I was looking at my Caly Jr yesterday, from what I remember there are three threaded metal inserts in the FRN scale that the clip screws into.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

sal wrote:
however, our sles manager, kelly, is thinking to make a micarta calypso jr.

Sal
yes. Do it!! :d
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Clip on the FRN Calypso Jrs screws into three small metal inserts. Clips on the micarta C52 Calypso Jr and C54 Calypso screw directly into the micarta.
Paul