The hands down best multi tool ever made?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

The hands down best multi tool ever made?

Post by Evil D »

I'm looking to buy a new multi tool, and honestly i'm very Leatherman biased because every one i've ever had was superb. I don't really like Gerber very much because their steel is really soft. I'm leaning towards a Leatherman Wave Ti with the 154CM blade, but i'm open to opinions on other brands?

I would really prefer that it had removable wire cutter blades, because i've chewed them up in the past and that makes it much easier to sharpen/fix them. It must have scissors, a good assortment of "usable" screwdrivers, a good file and a good saw. Beyond that is just bonus material. I'm not concerned with weight or size as long as functionality shines. I also like the new Waves because they have a removable pocket clip (i'm not a sheath kind of guy).

So...what would YOU carry if you could only own and use one multi tool?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What I've been carrying for about the last 15 years. The first generation Leatherman Wave. I know it doesn't meet all your criteria, but I don't know of one that does, and I've never found any that work better for me than the original Wave. I hate the second generation Wave, the screwdriver bits are a bad joke.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Leatherman anything for me, I have 4 of them. The Super Tool 300 has replaceable wire cutter inserts now.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

I carry a Supertool 300 and a Micra. Like you I wanted a large assortment of tools and scissors was a must. The only tool the 300 doesn't have is scissors so i bought the Micra to carry along with it. I carry this everyday at work and it has never failed me. I do believe this is the best multitool out there. I am not a huge fan of the wave and surge line. With the blades on the outside when using one of the internal tools the outside of the tool is not as comfortable to use.

The only thing this tool doesn't have in your requirements is a pocket clip. Oh yea and it has replaceable wire cutter blades that are 154CM.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i agree with the Wave screw driver bits...i was also considering the Supertool but the lack of scissors is a downer. I really don't wanna carry two tools. I can do without a good blade on a multi since i carry a knife but if it's going to have a knife then good steel is a nice bonus...that's why i like the Wave that has the 154CM blade. I really like the reach of the Supertool's screwdrivers too.
~David
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I guess the skelitoolCX 154cm won't help you. I love it but no sissors :(
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Look into the victorinox spirit. Maybe there is a variation for you.
Neomik

Post by Neomik »

Here is my personal choise: Leatherman Charge TTi with Titanium handles and S30V blade. Engraved with my initials!

Michael
[CENTER]-. . ...- . .-. .-- .. - .... --- ..- - -- -.-- ... .--. -.-- -.. . .-. -.-. ---[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:spyder:“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”:spyder:[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scissors? I'd sacrifice the removable wire cutter blades for scissors.
~David
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I really wish there was a better choice in Multi tools out there...
All my experiences with Leatherman left much to be desired. The scissors on the Micra always fail. The Phillips head on my Crunch wasn't properly heat treated and it deformed under normal use. Also the locking mechanism on the Crunch won't stay locked. My KF4 Juice is the best of the bunch, but even it is lacking. It is heavy for its size, and the tool assortment isn't quite right.

I've owned a SOG which I liked somewhat more than the Leatherman tools, but even it was not quite right.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah they all seem to be lacking something. All shine in some way but give up something else. Most of the tools i've owned and used, the phillips drivers always strip out and become useless (especially in Gerber tools).
~David
crm7290

Post by crm7290 »

Again look into the Victorinox Spirit. Mine is flawless. I know that they are held in extremely high esteem on other forums.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

gi issued p38
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've owned Leatherman and Gerber multi-tools and liked every one I've owned. Then came the SOG PowerLock. Buy one. You seem to have specific desires as far as individual items/tools in the multi-tool. I have a PowerLock and PowerAssist. I LOVE my PowerLock because it is very tough, durable, has the gear ratio needle nose pliers giving you lots more squeezing power. Very powerful wire cutters but not replaceable wire cutting blades. You can replace the plier jaws in you need to. You can replace EVERY individual tool in the multi-tool. I bought one and wished I had tools in it that weren't there. To get all the tools I wanted for my personal needs I would have had to buy at least two multi-tools. Then I would still have tools in them I didn't use and I hate that. Since you can take the multi-tool apart you can replace worn out phillips screwdriver for about $6 or so. SOG will sell it to you and send it with no shipping charges. I have bought different tools for mine like a wire stripper with different gauge wires, serrated knife blade, V-cutter which I LOVE and others I can't think of. Because of the ability to tailor your tool you can have what you want and not just what the designers at a company thought would be a good selection. It also has a 1/4" adapter so you can us standard 1/4" sockets with it also.

I believe the SOG PowerLock is as good as any multi-tool out there and better than most. Add the ability to take it apart for cleaning/lubricating and mix and matching selected tools makes it an obvious choice. It is also comfortable when squeezing the pliers hard. In case I haven't mentioned it I LIKE THE SOG POWERLOCK.

I also have the Spyderco Multi-tool and like it a lot. It is the PERFECT second multi-tool. It has the adjustable (cresent type) wrench and slip standard jaw pliers. It comes apart so you can hold a nut and turn the screwdriver seperately which is a great feature. Also, it holds any standard screwdriver bit and carries 4 of your choice. I have carried my PowerLock and Spyderench on my belt at the same time and literally had 90% of the tools you will find in a standard tool box. With a standard adapter you can convert it into a 1/4" socket drive as well.

Buy one, I truely believe you will love it.
Jack
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I've had dozens and have many. Favorite is Leatherman Crunch. 2nd is the Supertool 300. I haven't had a problem with a Leatherman, other than rust on one left in the tackle box, ever. But, I use them for EDC or back-up tasks and not as primary tools. I have primary tools for that. I also don't like the flat bits, yuck. Sog is also fine. As stated, the powerlock jaws provide for enormous grip strength. I don't like the Gerber's at all--I've given the 2 I've purchased to my youngest son. They feel cheap and "tinny" to me. I've strongly considered picking up a Victorinox, and likely will someday.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Considering that you carry a separate folder with good steel pretty much 24/7, you can easily drop out the good blade steel out of the equation, you don't need it that much. :) If you carry a separate knife it's not always worth it to invest 100$+ on a LM Charge when you can get a Wave for 70$.
Also I'm not too impressed about the scissors in the Wave/Charge, they are pretty small and when attached to the huge tool makes it kinda clumsy. If you really need scissors a good keychain multitool or a SAK might be better.
Just something to think about. ;)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

dd61999 wrote:gi issued p38
Good call on this, though I think the OP is looking for something with little flip out tools, not one incredibly simple and versatile one.

Incidentally, I carry my P51 more than my P38 - I like the extra leverage and it seems to fit my hand better. Made by the same company, and I picked it up from the same surplus store.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm definitely going to check out the SOG...the Power Assist is featured in a recent Knives magazine along with the Supertool 300, and i like what i see in the Power Lock even better. I need to handle both of them if i can and get a feel for both. The compound drive gears on the SOG are very intriguing as is the interchangeable tools. I've broken bits on Leatherman tools and wish i had an easy/cheap replacement option.
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:I'm definitely going to check out the SOG...the Power Assist is featured in a recent Knives magazine along with the Supertool 300, and i like what i see in the Power Lock even better. I need to handle both of them if i can and get a feel for both. The compound drive gears on the SOG are very intriguing as is the interchangeable tools. I've broken bits on Leatherman tools and wish i had an easy/cheap replacement option.
I remembered something else that may be important about the SOG PowerLock. The compound drive gears provide much more cutting and squeezing power with one drawback. Picture a normal set of needle nose pliers. The right handle and left jaw are one piece so when you open the pliers the jaws open the exact same amount as the handles. With the gears on the SOG the jaws don't open as much as the handles. You may have to have the tool in hand to see exactly what I mean but the result is you can't grab things that are as big as normal pliers. This is an issue but an issue I can deal with because if you are grabbing a large nut or something you really need another tool than needle nose pliers. It does feel like I get a better control over the jaws though which is very important for me because sometimes I work on electric outlets, switches, etc. I need better control because I almost never turn off the circuit breaker. :eek: I really don't and have gotten shocked a few times and once an arc put a very big pit in the jaws of my normal needle nose. Plus any multi-tool is not designed to completely replace the toolbox, just be easily at hand for somewhat light duty but I have used my PowerLock in jobs that I should have gotten a real tool and the PL has performed like a champ.

Jack
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Yup, Powerlock. I fouled the cutters in under three hours on a Leatherman, the Powerlock has been beat on the last 8-7 years with no real issues.

(but I'll still never buy any of their knives, and have enough PL in reserve to never need to purchase any of them.)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal