who carries a wenger standard issue SAK and like it the most?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MANIXWORLD

who carries a wenger standard issue SAK and like it the most?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

well,lots of us carry swiss army knives,im sure..some of us Vic,and some Wenger,or both.
Many like alox or some cellidor,but if alox,then who realy likes their Wenger SI,and prefer this classic,for its originality and the fact that its part of a Swiss soldier's issue?
Gives it a bit of character,apart from its bail shackle,and that its been around for longer than alot of us are of age..anyway,love the classics,even some old Spydies..they can tell a story...
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I don't often carry an alox SAK anymore, but when I do, it's a Wenger SI. I broke the bail(my mistake when trying to remove it), but the knife itself is fine. My favourite SAK also happens to be a Wenger. It's an International Scouting model, but I forget the model(Evo 11 perhaps?). Anyways, it's the perfect SAK, as it has a locking main blade, a file instead of second blade, and a Phillips screwdriver over corkscrew.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

i know that these are cheap and quite simple edc tools and that alot of people are so used to their expensive folding knives,that probably cost ten times or more than a average SAK.
I own a couple of expensive knives,but i tend to let them become drawer queens,which i shouldnt,but some of the cheaper ones i can buy 5 or more of and use them hard,without worrying to much if im going to damage the blade on something.
Where are the days,when we were happy with only that one trusty foldingknife to take care of all our cutting needs.
There isnt such a thing as a favorite foldingknife anymore,well maybe for a short while,then some other knife takes the stand for a while.
Would most of us be able to rely on one simple,inexpensive knife of good quality,without the bells and whistles,when in a survival situation,where your,my,or someone elses life depended on it?
I adore my Spyderco knives,but have also learned that less is sometimes more..
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

I have a Wenger SI on me today. I would say it is my second favorite SAK, closely after the Cadet. The SI is a very sturdy, yet compact, knife that has the advantage over the thinner Cadet for harder work. I like the bail, and also the fact that it was the 'real' swiss army knife. I am a big SAK fan and almost always have one on me :D
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

I have an alox Soldier that I keep in my truck. As far as convenience and utility, it's a nice tool to have

girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

"...It's an International Scouting model..."
- flipe8

and whilst the SI's are rock solid;
i also favour these early wenger scouting SAK's with their main blade packlocks.
exactly the kinda thing everyone would especially want to pocket in a Jamboree ;-)
Samwise

Post by Samwise »

I keep a Vic Farmer in my back pocket and carabiner'd to a belt loop.

Although I am looking at ditching the AlOx in favor of a Cellidor model, since it's more functional and more lightweight. Possibly the Super Tinker.
Spydie Count: :spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

girlyMANN wrote:"...It's an International Scouting model..."
- flipe8

and whilst the SI's are rock solid;
i also favour these early wenger scouting SAK's with their main blade packlocks.
exactly the kinda thing everyone would especially want to pocket in a Jamboree ;-)
now this sak has style and panache to it...a Real Macgyver knife in all sense of the word..brings out the boyscout in us..iconic.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I'll usually carry a Vic Cadet during summer when sweat and water will be detrimental to a carbon blade. Other times it is a Queen usually. ATM it is a 46-48 bone handle Jack.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Simple Man wrote:I'll usually carry a Vic Cadet during summer when sweat and water will be detrimental to a carbon blade. Other times it is a Queen usually. ATM it is a 46-48 bone handle Jack.
nothing like a classic slipjoint...whether sak,Queen,Buck or Case..
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Black one got carried prior to the current Bone one shown. Delrin Pen knife was my Grandads, carried on Sunday's. I also have his old Craftsman carried other times.

MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Simple Man wrote:Black one got carried prior to the current Bone one shown. Delrin Pen knife was my Grandads, carried on Sunday's. I also have his old Craftsman carried other times.

warms the heart,seeing these.they have a story to tell,for generations to come.
To me the slippies,were symbolic,with growing from a boy,to becoming a man,where grandfathers passed them down to son and then grandson..carrying and using them with a solid sense of pride..even better if they were made in your home country.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I agree, I enjoy the old ones that were quality, as much or more than the new ones that don't have any history. Gotta break in some new ones too though, to have some to pass on. ;) :D

AFAIK, Queen has been making knives in the states since 1902 and has no overseas production.