Overpaying

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mdsmith

Overpaying

Post by mdsmith »

So, how many of you have paid more for a knife than you thought it was worth because you just had to have it? I recently purchased a blue ZDP delica sprint run off Ebay. I'm not very knowledgeable on the value of Spydercos, but I'm pretty sure I paid more than most would for it. I have drooled over this knife every time I see someone post a picture of it, and knowing that it was a sprint and discontinued, I jumped right on it. Now having it in my hands, part of me is thrilled, and part of me is thinking that I could have probably bought a CF Caly for the same price. Just curious if any of you have had any similar experiences.
--Matt--
2cha

Post by 2cha »

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I'll never tell a soul what it cost me to get my Starmate. :o
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Unless you got totally r@ped, enjoy the knife and just forget about it. Think about it in terms of beers or coffees or something like that. I bet you'll decide you didn't "overspend" too many glasses or cups worth? - and look where those wind up. You'll have, and I hope you'll enjoy, the knife for years.

I especially like that blue. It's the best blue I've ever seen on any company's knife.
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

JNewell wrote:Think about it in terms of beers or coffees or something like that. I bet you'll decide you didn't "overspend" too many glasses or cups worth?

Lol, ya got me there. A few years ago that was a good Friday night at the bar. And your right, I have nothing to show for it. I'm sure I will enjoy this knife very much, for quite a while.

On a side note, this is my first ZDP blade. Man is this thing sharp !!! :D
--Matt--
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've paid more than I wanted to a few times, but current prices always seem to be changing, especially with sprints and long discontinued models.

But I've also gotten quite a few really good deals, so it all evens out.
:bug-red-white
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I'd say several times, but they were for things I really wanted so it was worth it for me. Now my first couple knives were from a B&M store and compared to online prices, I did overpay for them not knowing that they were commonly available for much less.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

JNewell wrote:Unless you got totally r@ped, enjoy the knife and just forget about it. Think about it in terms of beers or coffees or something like that. I bet you'll decide you didn't "overspend" too many glasses or cups worth? - and look where those wind up. You'll have, and I hope you'll enjoy, the knife for years.

I especially like that blue. It's the best blue I've ever seen on any company's knife.
Exactly. I've spent a lot on a single beer that could have bought me 1/3 of a delica.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
Donut

Post by Donut »

CanisMajor wrote:Exactly. I've spent a lot on a single beer that could have bought me 1/3 of a delica.

Canis
I got a 20 oz bottle of The Obrama for around $20, now that I think of it, I should have never even thought about it! :eek:
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

Is the asking price of $97 for a white Delica4 on eBay too much to pay?
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I'm not sure if I have a problem over paying, I think my problem is just over spending sometimes. Two Millies in three days :eek: ... I gotta slow down!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

We have another addict in the house I see!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

When an item is discontinued or scarce, it's worth what the market will bear. Even that is going to be within a range and not necessarily a fixed number.

I think of overpaying as per the following example: paying $120 for a Ladybug when you could buy one from virtually any online dealer for about $35.
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

Yep, I guess you could say that. But oh well...what can you do?! :D
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
get low playa

Post by get low playa »

My problem isn't so much overpaying as I can make cuts elsewhere in my budget. I have a problem in overbuying- that's where my problem lies. It's a terminal sickness.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

get low playa wrote:My problem isn't so much overpaying as I can make cuts elsewhere in my budget. I have a problem in overbuying- that's where my problem lies. It's a terminal sickness.
Hey maybe Spyderco should come out with a VISA that offers reward points toward new spydies :)
get low playa

Post by get low playa »

eneyman wrote:Hey maybe Spyderco should come out with a VISA that offers reward points toward new spydies :)
That'd be the best cc out there. All these forums don't help either.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

We tell ourselves that in a couple of years we won't remember how much we paid for something we enjoy.

Good advice. But I haven't yet forgotten paying full list for a Blue Manix after it disappeared from circulation. That may be why I bought a Balance while they're still available.........
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Never paid more for a knife than it was worth to me. Am sure I've paid more than most people would have for a few of them. But, I don't buy with the thought of reselling, so that's not something that bothers me. I also know there have been knives that were worth a lot more to someone else than they were to me. Had no problem passing on those, even if they were knives I really wanted. To me, that's the key, to stay within my own comfort zone.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mdsmith

Post by mdsmith »

Don't get me wrong guy, this one is definitely a keeper, and will likely be one of my most carried. I think for me, in this particular instance it was a matter of paying three time as much as it would have cost me to get a black VG10 delica 4, which is as far as everyday uses go, is virtually the same knife in a different color. That said, I would be nowhere near as happy with that black delica 4 in my pocket.

Deacon, you hit the nail on the head. The term worth is a pretty subjective word. There are brand new knives online for a very good price that aren't "worth" the money to me.
--Matt--
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

eneyman wrote:Hey maybe Spyderco should come out with a VISA that offers reward points toward new spydies :)
Think of the great ads. "Slash your debt..." "Do high fees have you on edge? Steel yourself and cut your payments..." :D :eek: :rolleyes: