Grinding the wave off

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
c.joe

Grinding the wave off

Post by c.joe »

Hi, I'm getting an Endura Waved Trainer for quite cheap and I want to grind the wave off. I know some of the members here have done this before. What tools do you guys suggest I use? How should I finish it off to have a smooth blade again?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used a mini bench grinder to shave the tip down on my Para to shorten it to 3 inches. If you don't have something like that, then a Dremel can work. Go super slow and keep a cup of ice water near by to dip the blade in so you don't get it too hot. You'll use finer grit to get the finish back to how it should be.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What Evil said! Dremel is a godsend in the home. I got crazy buying stuff for mine but now have most of the "stuff" that goes with it. It's one of those tools that nobody needs but after you have had one for a while you wonder how you got along without it. I used mine to put jimping on my Michael Walker. It doesn't look perfect but it's ok unless you look close. Anyway ZDP-189 is not a problem for a Dremel and diamond grinding accessories.

Good luck with your project.

Jack
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

The Dremel and all it's accoutrements will do a fine job. If you can manage it I would do the finish work (polishing and such) by hand. I've found that polishing with the Dremel on the spine can be a touch difficult. You get a nice finish but there is the possibility of bleeding over onto the flats of the blade with the polishing bit. You then end up with a bit of an uneven finish on the blade. I try to do all that stuff by hand.

Jeff
marknett

Post by marknett »

And being a trainer , hurting the heat treatment shouldn't be as much of an issue
"When Life feeds you Lemons , Pucker up and Quit Whining"

Mark
"Black" Delica 4 vg-10 (SG)
"S.S." Byrd Meadowlark 8Cr13MoV (SG)
"S.S." Grasshopper CR13 (FFG)
"Blue" Stretch 2 ZDP-189 (FFG)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Here's a link to the desktop grinder i use. It's really nice and worth the price if you own and use a Dremel a lot, you will fall in love with this thing. It can do polishing too with the right wheel attachments.

http://pastimecompany.com/Tools/Foredom ... nders.html

Mine is the 5 B&G for $165, it has a foot pedal (similar to a tattoo machine if you've ever seen one) and is variable speed up to 17,000rpm.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

marknett wrote:And being a trainer , hurting the heat treatment shouldn't be as much of an issue
Yep, I forgot about it being a trainer. Get busy with the polishing wheel, I say.

Jeff
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I used a Dremel cut off wheel, diamond disk, files, sandpaper, and polish - in that order...

I like the knives a lot now. I carry the Endura a lot for my large knife lately. I hope this helps, and good luck.

- best wishes, Jazz.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Thanks for all the help, links, and pictures. You guys have really made it easy on me! Time to get started.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

For some reason that picture reminds me of a Toucan :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think they look awesome...
On the hunt for...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ok I don't want to pea on anyone's parade...BUT PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME... why would anyone want to remove the wave from a trainer or anything else...took long enough to put one on there...plus the royalties for Mr. Emerson, not to speak of the Kudos.....leave it the heck alone!! Go dremel a Cold Steel product....Doc :p
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ok I don't want to pea on anyone's parade...BUT PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME... why would anyone want to remove the wave from a trainer or anything else...took long enough to put one on there...plus the royalties for Mr. Emerson, not to speak of the Kudos.....leave it the heck alone!! Go dremel a Cold Steel product....Doc :p
You have a way with words, Doc. :D I thought I'd like them, but just didn't at all. I don't sell knives I'm not happy with - just mod them until I like them. I think the Delica especially looks like an older Spydie, but I can't remember the little guy's name. I appreciate the design, but it's not for me. :o

- best wishes, Jazz.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Reminds me of a Jot Sing. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ok I don't want to pea on anyone's parade...BUT PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME... why would anyone want to remove the wave from a trainer or anything else...took long enough to put one on there...plus the royalties for Mr. Emerson, not to speak of the Kudos.....leave it the heck alone!! Go dremel a Cold Steel product....Doc :p
OH please don't get me wrong. My delica wave is probably one of my favorite knives out there. I was originally going to get a normal delica trainer because I wanted to practice manually deploying a blade like most of my other knives. However, I recently got a waved endura trainer at a price I couldn't ignore.

Btw, I hope your pee doesn't come out in "peas" :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

c.joe wrote:OH please don't get me wrong. My delica wave is probably one of my favorite knives out there. I was originally going to get a normal delica trainer because I wanted to practice manually deploying a blade like most of my other knives. However, I recently got a waved endura trainer at a price I couldn't ignore.

Btw, I hope your pee doesn't come out in "peas" :D
It don't.... I just didn't want to seem obscene...you know for the kiddies....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Jazz wrote:[...]I think the Delica especially looks like an older Spydie, but I can't remember the little guy's name. [...] :o

- best wishes, Jazz.
Worker, maybe?

Dennis
recon1s14

Post by recon1s14 »

Wow that is a beautiful pic of the Worker @_@
SpyderNation #0705
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Thanks! I like it, too :) the pic AND the knife, that is.

Dennis
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I had an original Worker back in the day -purchased when they were new. Loved the concept that Sal had for his knives (e.g., the hole, function-before-form), but I never fell in love with the swedge on the tip of the Worker's blade.

At the time, I honestly was afraid that an overzealous policeman would classify it as a Dagger because of the two sharpened edges. And in the mid-80s, Spydercos were unusual enough that Police looked them over very closely... Kinda silly in retrospect - but the times, they are a changin'...

I ended up selling it and buying my first C03 Hunter. The blade shape fit my purposes much better - and over the years, I've owned probably a dozen Hunters, Provenators, and Stretches...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Murdoc! :-)

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185