Whats the deal with Benchmade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dgulbra

Whats the deal with Benchmade

Post by dgulbra »

I am fairly new to the knife world (about 6 months) and am confused. I tend to do a lot of research before I spend my hard earned money on a new blade. I have a local knife store that I go to to ogle and fondle blades. 95% of my knives are Spydercos because they always turn out to be the best. I just can believe how much benchmade charges for there knives and their product is by no means superior. Sometimes they use blade steels that no one has heard of and personally i think their blades are heavy. When they do use steels like S30 V or 154CM they charge double what an equivalent Spyderco. Whats the deal? Am I Just a newb or what. Please explain.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I respect Benchmade a lot. Up until a few years ago when I had a chance encounter with a 'Spyderco staff member' at the SFO I would have considered both Spyderco and Benchmade on par with one another for both quality and design (both good, just different). ****, maybe I still do in some regards. However, since that day back in 2007, I've come to know that there is a quality behind the scenes at Spyderco, a less tangible quality that resides in the way Spyderco does business and treats it's customers. For me, it was that day that I decided that any commercially available knife I would ever buy from then on, , would be a Spyderco.

But this is just me and my experience with Spyderco and Benchmade. Benchmade is still a good quality knife, and in my opinion still makes great knives. Are they a little overpriced? I don't know. Maybe another way of looking at it might be that Benchmade isn't 'overpriced' so much as Spyderco is very 'valued priced.' As far as steels go, I must admit I'm a bit of a steel coinsure anymore, and love the steels Spyderco uses both routinely, and in their Mules/sprints, but I also know that there are other steel manufacturers who make similar steels under different names. Here too, maybe the case is one isn't overpriced, rather than one is an exceptional value for the money.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

I heard that Benchmade made a business decision to place discount limitations on their products a few years back. It was becoming common for people to run into a store to check out a model in person and then turn around and buy the knife online for 30% or more off from a seller that doesn't even have to stock the sold item. Benchmade made the decision to base the bulk of their business on brick and mortar store sales rather than website sales. Part of me applauds this as it supports the local small businesses that made Benchmade what it is today, and part of me cringes at the thought of price-fixing.

Benchmade prices their knives the way they price their knives. I'm not really privy to the details, but they seem to be doing really well for themselves with plenty of market space for Spyderco and a whole slew of other makers to do just as well for themselves. Benchmade does pay fairly well and consistently wins business awards in their local area.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They make good knives and priced well for what you get. Spyderco often is slightly more aggressive on pricing.

Manufacturing/sales philosophy aside it seems people buy both companies knives like crazy. What isn't a value to me might make a BM fan's heart flutter.

Their "USA only" approach is a nice sales tactic but leaves them lacking in some areas. Namely the budget blades from China and select amazing manufacturers like the Taiwan plant that makes many Spyderco knives at great prices.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

IMHO, Benchmade knives are very good, and worth the prices that they ask for them....I like the way they do business as well...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I'm pleased with most of my BM purchases. I prefer Spyderco b/c of the variety of truly different models and because there seems to be more skilled labor/handwork involved. I still have a mini-grip in my EDC rotation.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Theres no deal.
They overprice their knives IMO, and close to 95% of their designs are uninteresting. Again, IMO.

I only ever owned a BM42, but, purely for collectible value. It was, admittedly, a very nice Bali.
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

benchmade makes some nice stuff-
granted its not in the same style as spyderco but still nice stuff-

they have good fit & finish-
made in america-
nice steel options
decent prices-

nothing wrong with benchmade
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

I used to wonder the same thing... until I got a Benchmade Presidio...
unit

Post by unit »

Mom always said, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything....so I won't.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

unit wrote:Mom always said, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything....so I won't.
No offense but I think your Mom stole that line from Bambi, jk. ;)
mkd

Post by mkd »

benchmade was the first good production knife mfg that caught my eye about 6 yrs ago when i started looking at knives.i own several benchmades and beleave there workmanship and the materials they use to be high quality.only after i thought there offerings were getting kind of stale did i look beyond there product line.now i have several spyderco knives! are they made as good?i'd say maybe some.they are fine knives that are made with a variety that appeals to more of the masses. my edc is a benchmade vex,one of the cheaper knives benchmade offers that is made in china.it was the first benchmade i bought and has been carried every day to work for the past 5 or 6 yrs.it has been sharpened hundreds of times and used probably daily .about 3 yrs ago i thought i lost it only to find it was run over by a 50,000 lb truck and pushed into the gravel parking lot.the knife was undamaged except for a slight knick on one g10 scale. had it not had full stainless liners perhaps more damage would have occured.every one has their opinion! i have several of both spyderco and benchmades because they caught my eye. i have been a knife carrier for over 35 yrs and just like having one in my pocket.at all times!
Donut

Post by Donut »

mkd, thanks for the information. Your post is on a lot of experience, I value the input. Also on the other people who made the comments about the pricing and the local stores.

It is probably even nice to the online retailers who can make profit, still.

I recently read that an online retailer chose not to stock a brand, (not Spyderco,) because other online retailers were selling that brand at near what he could get the product at.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
R1Dave

Post by R1Dave »

I like Benchmade knives. The quality is great and I think they have a decent selection of blade types. Fairly pricey but I find Spyderco to be pricey as well.

The dealer I buy from has sales all the time and quite often you can find BM stuff at great prices. You just need to shop around.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

unit wrote:Mom always said, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything....so I won't.
Yeah, especially about another company when I'm a guest at Sal's house. But if I weren't being polite, I would have some things to say...and I have been a Benchmade customer for more than a dozen years and have bought a lot of BM knives over the years...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My only Benchmade is a BM42 - I bought it back before Spyderco had Balis, I believe. Wanted one in my collection and the 42 is certainly a nice blade. Very solid in the hand. It also embeds very deep in the hand if you are a newb that attempts tricks before you know what you are doing.

Otherwise, I follow Unit's advice. Nothing good to say...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

They are of quality material and construction, but you can get the same or better at spyderco for less money, so that's enough for me to make my selection.
Praxis

Post by Praxis »

First decent quality knife I ever owned was a Benchmade Ares. I've bought and sold more than a few over the years. Since I discovered Spyderco seven or eight years ago, though, I have sold off most of my Benchmades. Only one I have purchased in recent years was the MPR that came out last year. Overall, I just like Spyderco models better. Plus, Benchmade was kind of hit or miss with the sharpness of their knives. Had a few that came shaving sharp and more than a few with dull edges out of the box. If you like 'em, buy 'em, simple as that. :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

rosconey wrote:benchmade makes some nice stuff-
granted its not in the same style as spyderco but still nice stuff-

they have good fit & finish-
made in america-
nice steel options
decent prices-

nothing wrong with benchmade
^agree with this. +1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

SQSAR wrote: ...I

[/...USED TO...]

...respect Benchmade a lot.

Up until a few years ago when I had a chance [/Deliberate] encounter with a 'Spyderco staff member' [/Sal] at the SFO [/NYC Custom Knife Show] I would have considered both Spyderco and Benchmade on par with one another for both quality and design (both good, just different).

However, since that day back in 2007 [/2000] , I've come to know that there is a quality behind the scenes at Spyderco, a less tangible quality that resides in the way Spyderco does business and treats it's customers.

I agree. In spades. :cool: :spyder: