Time for another Karambit/Kerambit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Time for another Karambit/Kerambit?

Post by Blerv »

I know the Warren Thomas collaboration didn't sell as well as expected hence it's discontinuation.

However am I alone in thinking a G10 Golden version would be amazing? I was holding the Manix2 the other day and was thinking how cool it would be to have something similar but in Kbit format.

There really are only two production houses out there I trust that make them. Not to step on Emerson's toes but I would love to see something from Spyderco especially with Mr. Janich in the house now.

It's a niche product but also one with not many decent options. Besides the "mall ninjas" there are people out there who just want a quality tool (me) and others who actually train in the methodology (not me). These people don't have many places to turn to.

Thoughts?
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Mmmmmmm... G10 with a Comp lock or CBBL. Don't care where it's made or what steel it uses.
I'd be interested in one. :D
ffbeerd

Post by ffbeerd »

I'd definitely buy one (or two).

The Emerson Combat Karambit's are constantly sold out and fetch a hefty price.

I've tried to like/use Spyderco's, but I feel the design is lacking (IMHO):
-Needs better texture i.e. G10
-Doesn't need to be as thin and wide. I'd prefer a more balanced approach.
-A more secure lock is needed

I could see the jimping used on the Manix being transferred to a Karambit design with a lot of success.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

ffbeerd wrote:I'd definitely buy one (or two).

The Emerson Combat Karambit's are constantly sold out and fetch a hefty price.

I've tried to like/use Spyderco's, but I feel the design is lacking (IMHO):
-Needs better texture i.e. G10
-Doesn't need to be as thin and wide. I'd prefer a more balanced approach.
-A more secure lock is needed

I could see the jimping used on the Manix being transferred to a Karambit design with a lot of success.
Wasn't the Spydie Karambit a framelock? That's a pretty secure lock in my mind, Emerson uses liner locks on theirs (one reason I will never buy one). I really like the Cutters Knife and Tool Bengal and I'm saving up for one right now. Something like that with a Spydie hole would be awesome, a little less claw to the blade.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

One with a tad more blade would be sweet!.....Maybe a FB....it would have a hole at the top...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

Something like this????(But with a Spyderco Hole):

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yep exactly. I've heard good things about the Boker/CLB kbit. It's the only budget one I would buy.

I would rather see a hooked blade though. I think the purists who use them would much appreciate it. The straight-ish blade isn't my cup of tea.
Frank Castle

Post by Frank Castle »

I'd be totally down for that. All the kerambits I see out there are either way too expensive or junkie lookings. I really like the stainless frame lock, maybe do it in titanium, maybe with g-10 scale? Then you could have s30v and make it Taiwan so it won't be as expensive.
Frank Castle is Dead. I am the Punisher.

Spyder Counter: :spyder::spyder:
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

That boker has it going, except for that HORRENDOUS blade shape.

I still wouldn't buy a Karambit though. I prefer to not have my finger locked into a knife, and a Spyderhawk or Tasman Salt would serve just fine.
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

Like HotSoup said, that boker does have a ugly blade. But i'd definitely be interested in a spyderco karambit...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If I'm gonna buy a karambit, it's gonna be one with the hook blade shape.
Niles

Post by Niles »

I'd love to have a spydie karambit. I didn't buy the original one because of the handle, primarily. I'd love to see a traditional blade style and a more comfortable (fatter/rounder) handle.
Fuglee

Post by Fuglee »

I'd love to see Spyderco make another kerambit. I carry mine almost everyday and it is near perfect.

If Spyderco does make another one, I hope they keep the blade similar to the old one. The blade shape makes a kerambit more than the finger hole does; I have traditional Indonesian kerambits that have no finger hole at all. By putting a weird (non-traditional) blade shape on a kerambit, you hamper its specialized design/purpose. The finger hole, at that point, is just there for grip retention and I can use a lanyard for that. My opinion, of course.

On the other hand... there aren't very many silat people out there so to count on our tastes to sell a knife could be considered slightly foolish, in a businessy sense.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:If I'm gonna buy a karambit, it's gonna be one with the hook blade shape.
+1 on that thought....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*