C83 Persian Sprint apriciation thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

C83 Persian Sprint apriciation thread

Post by bh49 »

Got my Persians today.I am impressed. Red is fairly dark, looks the same as on Wouter's pictures :p . Lock is nice and smooth. I remember it took me few hundred times to open and close before lock on my original C83 became smooth like this. I love this knife.
Sal, Ed,
Thank you for joy.

Finally, not only SFO, but dealers also started to ship C83. Many new Persian owners can enjoy this great knife. So what do you think?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Still waiting for my dealer to get them in. I'll let you know in 8-10 days :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I got mine today too. I was glad to see that the red was darker in person than in the original picture Spyderco posted. Fit and finish is great, and I'm so glad that Spyderco did this sprint!

I'm really hoping to see some more sprints of some of the true classics soon.
:bug-red-white
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am loving the blade shape and I am a huge sucker for the bolsters, especially where the elegant S-curve of the bosters meets the G-10 scales. I like the look of the saber grind versus on this knife versus FFG, (even though I do appreciate the functional slicing advantages of FFG). The grind line on the blade gently follows the curve of the cutting edge and is more pleasing to the eye in my opinion.

As you can tell, I did not own the large Persian that was a regular production item prior to the red one.

Got one of my red ones yesterday (hoping that one more will be forthcoming but not certain).

I think that the Persian is Schempp's best work, and I think that all of his designs are eye-catching. If I could only bait him into providing me with some preview pics of the upcoming Equilibrium...

Curiously, mine is a collector's club model (068V stamped on the blade). Got mine through one of the more well-known dealers. They must have several memberships through their store in order for them to have sold this one to me.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

mikerestivo wrote:… As you can tell, I did not own the large Persian that was a regular production item prior to the red one.
So, it is the large Persian for sure, eh? What is the actual blade length?

Thanks,

Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

There was a misprint in the specs that really threw some folks off. This is indeed, a C83 Persian. Blade length is the same as the original. It looks almost exactly the same as the original except for the scale color and material, the pins in the handle are slightly different, polished clip, and the blade markings (bug and Schempp logo) are different.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Right you've all had your play time, now get them red Persian's signed up in the Persian Army thread! :D

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Thanks gbelleh, right on time!
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Howes just sold the last one while I was asking bout the specs!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

That is the 2nd Red that got away from me … mebbe I should listen ...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Actually, after looking at several pictures, I think the pins are exactly the same, and my original Persian has an extra pin. Anyone else have the extra pin in the center like this?

This one is pretty beat up, so I guess it could be an aftermarket repair??

bh49

Post by bh49 »

C83 Persian is my favorite knife. I carry and use every day it, except when I go out of state, since I bought my first in August 2006. I have it on me at work, I have it on me at home, I have it on me when I go almost anywhere. I am PersianNut.

mikerestivo wrote:I am loving the blade shape and I am a huge sucker for the bolsters, especially where the elegant S-curve of the bosters meets the G-10 scales. I like the look of the saber grind versus on this knife versus FFG, (even though I do appreciate the functional slicing advantages of FFG). The grind line on the blade gently follows the curve of the cutting edge and is more pleasing to the eye in my opinion.

I think that the Persian is Schempp's best work, and I think that all of his designs are eye-catching. If I could only bait him into providing me with some preview pics of the upcoming Equilibrium...
I agree with you on all points. IMHO C83 Persian is the masterpiece. It is eye catching gorgeous knife, with great ergos, fit into hand like a glove and cutting abilities. Without doubt every time when I use it I am enjoying just to hold it in my hand and making a cut. I am describing C83 Persian like a workhorse, which also looks great. I was a little nervous before this Sprint. Original C83 just perfect for me. Making changes to perfection you can just ruin it. Spyderco did a great job on this sprint. New Persian is great.

On Edge wrote:That is the 2nd Red that got away from me … mebbe I should listen ...
Do not worry, just check less known dealers and you will find your Persian, just do it fast.
P.S. BTW, there is one on BF at very decent price, the same, who I paid to the dealer.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine shipped Wednesday so there's at least a chance I may receive it today. :)
gbelleh wrote:Actually, after looking at several pictures, I think the pins are exactly the same, and my original Persian has an extra pin. Anyone else have the extra pin in the center like this?

This one is pretty beat up, so I guess it could be an aftermarket repair??
It's definitely an aftermarket addition.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Looking forward to getting one of these beauties...hopefully I can get some of my other knives sold in time to pick one up. Still recovering from my Balance purchase!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The familiar tight feeling before break in brought back memories.I seem to recall Ed wants them to be like that so they break in nice and smooth, for a long life without wobble or looseness. Nice tight tolerances for a production knife.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
2cha

Post by 2cha »

Extraordinary knife. Wow. Very pleased. A bit "spilled milk" that i hadn't made a full commitment to spyderco when the first versions were still around.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Just ordered mine from knifecenter. Looks like they're all out now.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i put my second up for sale "somewhere" and within like 6 hours it was gone. i got over extended money wise and didnt get paid till today. $50 cash profit and money back.... all for a second dlc sd manix. people seem to be insane for this model. i have the mini but not the big one unfortunately. i may try to get that next. but either way this knife and its amazing g10 look/texture is truely astonishing!!!!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I can't get over this knife. I think it is quite probably the most attractive knife I own.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

bh49 wrote:Do not worry, just check less known dealers and you will find your Persian, just do it fast.
P.S. BTW, there is one on BF at very decent price, the same, who I paid to the dealer.
I appreciate it, but you know, as beautiful as this knife is, and as beautiful as it would be to hold and use (you can just tell), I really can't see myself regularly carrying an almost 4" blade as an EDC ... now, if it were a mini persian, I would buy 2 ...

I think feel compelled to buy it because it is "rare" and "shiny", but I think I'm gonna pass on this one ...

There are a few others on my list that I think I would be more likely to have with me - think I will hunt for some of those.

Make no mistake, in ten minutes I'm likely to want one again ...

At any rate, thanks for the help ...

Edge