How many here ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kankryb

How many here ?

Post by kankryb »

How many here on this forum keep reptiles and what what do you have ?
I´ll start with what I have.
15 geckos
2 milksnakes
2 boas
5 spiders
169 :spyder: and always room for one more :D
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

2 hours ago i just bought a 20 gallon long tank for a ball python ill be buying at the end of the month.

as a kid i had boas & pythons, thought it would be cool to get a ball python again since they dont get so big.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Spiders aren't reptiles... ;)

Only two dogs for me. Although I'd kinda like an iguana. Maybe.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Simsmac wrote:Spiders aren't reptiles... ;)

Only two dogs for me. Although I'd kinda like an iguana. Maybe.

fyi, i had an iguana in grade school, took it to school for a project and the sucker bit me, about a week later i got real real sick and turned out i had salmonella poisoning, didnt know how i got it till decades later, turns out 98% of iguanas carry salmonella in their saliva.

it wasnt fun.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

two. lavender rat snake and albino (white-ish-pink-ish like bubblegum)___called him bazooka, as in the gum, corn snake. both big, almost 4 foot and a child's wrist thick. but this was ten years ago. my friend worked at petco and as they were closing he stole, well reduced and then reduced again with employee discount a huge enclosure with all the lights and heat rock and waterfall filtration water bowl etc etc. i fed them huge mice, pinkies, furries, etc etc and he constricted them and eyes popped out and the"faux" tale wrattle thing and was very much loved!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

As a kid I had a pet hog-nosed snake my father once caught and brought home for me. I fed it flies that I plucked the wings from and it seemed happy. It eventually died. My father thought it was because I kept playing with it and didn't let it hibernate.

My brother and I (again when we were kids) had those little green turtles you used to could get at the pet store. Well, one day I was trying to give them a bath as my mother had taught me, only I apparently didn't pay close attention to her instructions. Instead of mildly warm water from the sink, I got the water up to as hot as it would go, put it into the plastic container for the turtles' bath, and dropped them in. Next thing I know these two turtles are on the bottom of the container with their eyes closed and mouths opened... I'd cooked them! :eek:

My mother came to the rescue by taking them out of the water and placing them upon the larger rocks in their now cleaned terrarium/aquarium. In spite of me, they somehow survived and eventually died a couple of years later.

To say the least, I don't have pets anymore. I don't even keep plants because I manage to kill them, too.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Just one Leopard Gecko named "Rowdy". It's pure sarcasm, as he sleeps 25 hours a day.

I've owned most every reptile though- frogs, snakes, iguanas, anoles, etc...
But... what I really want is a Bearded Dragon or a Uromastyx- all the personality and omnivorous tendancies of an Iguana, minus the large cage.

So what kind of Geckos do you have, Kankryb ?
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

I keep 3 kinds of New Caledonia geckos ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus,R auriculatus,R sarasinorum ) Really cool animals and very easy to keep as they don´t need heat and light or insects.
Samwise

Post by Samwise »

I have a high-yellow jungle-phase leopard gecko by the name of Leo, that I got for my 11th (I think) birthday. He looks awesome, but doesn't really do much outside of lay around and do nothing. My cats kept trying to eat him, so I gave him to a friend to take care of.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Testudo kleinmanni. :cool:
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I know not quite reptiles! Though I keep Poison Dart Frogs 2 Lukes and 2 Imitators. I also have a Tiger Salamander.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

This little escape artist is living in the house somewhere. Picked him up in the middle of the road, fed him twice, and he pushed the masonite lid off the terrarium about 2 weeks ago. Black rat snake.

I have the kind of large old home that is difficult to mouse proof, so his escape should help keep the numbers down.

[ATTACH]15399[/ATTACH]
Attachments
babyrat.jpg
babyrat.jpg (94.41 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

Very cool, I wish I could go out and pick up snakes but it´s too cold here in the north. :(
kankryb

Post by kankryb »

Here is some pics from last night and a old spydie one
and the old one
araneae

Post by araneae »

I had my share from various geckos (I bred leopards and panthers for a few years), to beardies to corn snakes and assorted amphibians. My last remaining herp passed this summer, an african fat-tailed gecko I had for about 15 years.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Wow ! you guys have cool pets. When I was younger I wanted to keep reptiles and was thinking of a crocodile. But they are a bit dangerous and really eat too much :p

Might get a snake from a pet store just for fun. Not a wise move collecting reptiles from the Australian bush as they are almost always quite lethal !!!
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

crazy cool pics,

It took me a few days to set up my ball python tank. i ended up getting a 20 gallon long but short tank. wasted a bunch of money on crap that doesnt even really work from the pet shops, i learned alot from youtube and trial & error. after 2 days of tinkering around with bulbs, placement of light etc.. i think i finally got it. my hot side of the tank is 88 degrees and the low side is 80 degrees with 60% humidity, the guy thats selling me the python said thats what it should be, although there are tons of different temps all over youtube and books.

tomorrow im placing the order for a 120 gram beautiful pinstripe ball python for $245.00 and $ 55.00 overnight shipping.

ill take some pics right away then let him chill for a week or so. then hopefully he will eat with no problems.

heres a pic of the actual pinstripe im getting from the sellers website.
Attachments
th_a54fe204ad7b60fbb3bad8a294d5135d_1282485593DSC_0178.jpg
th_a54fe204ad7b60fbb3bad8a294d5135d_1282485593DSC_0178.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've had several anoles when I was younger, a jackson chameleon, and most recently had a panther chameleon. The chameleon died a few years back and then I moved and left all my supplies (cage, lights, etc) up in Washington. I keep thinking about getting another panther chameleon, so I may get one next year. Once you own a chameleon, it's hard to go back to anything else!
Attachments
Chameleon at 5 Months.jpg
Chameleon at 5 Months.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

jabba359 wrote:I've had several anoles when I was younger, a jackson chameleon, and most recently had a panther chameleon. The chameleon died a few years back and then I moved and left all my supplies (cage, lights, etc) up in Washington. I keep thinking about getting another panther chameleon, so I may get one next year. Once you own a chameleon, it's hard to go back to anything else!

awesome pic of your chameleon, they are the coolest creatures that slowly grasp your fingers when cruising around.

my python arrives in 10 and a half hours via UPS, cant wait....
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

kankryb wrote:Very cool, I wish I could go out and pick up snakes but it´s too cold here in the north. :(
Hoggorm and snok? We have them here and it is even colder ;)

Have is your Spydie eating lake doing, hope you aren't feeding it :p :D