how to get knives refurbished

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vinnypie

how to get knives refurbished

Post by vinnypie »

i have an old police that used to be black, and another unidentified spydie. i would like to have them cleaned up and sharpened. my question is can i send them to spyderco or does someone know of anyone that can do that sort of thing?
better to have a knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

For $20 per Spydie, they will do the best they can for your knives. Just include a letter with your wishes and look forward to what will come back :)

Dennis
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Unless you knife requires a whole lot of service, it sounds like stuff that you might be able to do yourself. I believe Murdoc has a good suggestion if you are not interested in doing it yourself.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
druid

Post by druid »

I would take some time to do the cleaning youer self and then send it to spyderco for sharping/repofiling for 5$ or so
why
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

It depends to some extent to what knives exactly we are talking about.

SE knives i.e. will only turn out to be "good as new" if you let Spderco refurbish it. I've let them do that on my old Police (pics in some threads and posts from me in this forum) and it turned out great.

If it's PE and you own a Lansky or a similar sharpening set, you would be able to give it a brand new edge yourself.

If it's an SS handle, some sanding paper in different grits and a little patience will give you great results. FRN and G10 won't wear out much anyway, but deep scratches or scuffs will most likely still be there after the Spyderco refurbishing.

It all depends on what you really want to have in your hands in the end and what you are going to do with the knives. If they are going into the safe and/or collection, maybe sending them in would leave you with the best results. Just a refreshing session for your preferred users can be done at home with satisfying results, but of course not as perfect as from the factory.

Dennis
MCM

Post by MCM »

Will Spyderco replace rounded out fasteners & worn bronze bushings?
I know they sharpen.......
Always wondered about that.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......