Show your mods!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
rrmiles

Re: Show your mods!

Post by rrmiles »

Is hand engraving considered a mod?
B1F5AAD7-65A4-4C16-90C7-D959C2B67F4B.JPG
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

rrmiles wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:41 pm
Is hand engraving considered a mod?
Any visible modification counts IMHO. Beautiful engraving ! The proportions are really good, I would love to learn such an art, I suck at drawing but I'd still like to try :squinting-tongue

Here's all (if I haven't forgotten any) of the scales I made since I started in April. I sometimes made more on order, most of them are for me.

In chronological order, starting with the Chokwe :

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Those all look great Robin! That Native 5 stands out to me the most, really top shelf! May I ask what type of wood that is?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:21 pm
Those all look great Robin! That Native 5 stands out to me the most, really top shelf! May I ask what type of wood that is?
Thanks :grin-smiling-eyes , I tend to prefer wood to carbon fiber or micarta, but I found out pretty fast that you have to find the right wood for a folder, and "Ziricote" wood just goes so well the the Native 5 !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:40 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:21 pm
Thanks :grin-smiling-eyes , I tend to prefer wood to carbon fiber or micarta, but I found out pretty fast that you have to find the right wood for a folder, and "Ziricote" wood just goes so well the the Native 5 !
Definitely looks like it was designed for those scales!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Looks fantastic Robin ! Definitely an improvement over original design. Buddy Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Nextup

Post by Nextup »

PXL_20230215_203601337.PORTRAIT.jpg
Lightweight cruwear dragonfly with crosscut G3 scales
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Native 5 LW in Maxamet wearing AWT Scales in Magpul FDE cerakote.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

My friend Dan (ManixGuy), got me into some heat coloring mods.

First try was the Sliverax clip. Hides better in blue jeans with the dark/bronze color.

Just did the same on my Para 3 LW SPY27 (Thank you for that one Spyderco) and Sage 5. Sage 5 has a Lynch Anodized Bronze clip.

Super easy. Takes about 10 - 15 seconds per screw. A little longer on the clip due to the length. Cup of water near by.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great job Jeff . Nice finishing touch . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks Dan!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
barnaclesonaboat

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

Finally decided to take the appearance of my first Manix 2 into my own hands. I'm not a fan of bright polished clips on my pocket knives, as I feel it draws more attention to what I'm carrying. I figured I could try heat-coloring a stainless clip with relatively low risk, and yep: It was super easy and satisfying. Peep the pics below.

I would be interested in understanding how to get the deeper colors like I've seen from a number of you bosses.
JSumm wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:09 pm
Super easy. Takes about 10 - 15 seconds per screw. A little longer on the clip due to the length. Cup of water near by.
JSumm the bronze on your screws looks seriously awesome!

I ended up with a bit of a gradient, which is super cool and intentional, but I definitely would like to know how to get the color darker if anyone has tips.

The setup:

The product:

(edited: wrong picture attached first time)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Looks awesome!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I use a small refillable butane handheld torch found at Menards . My technique is a little different than Jeff’s approach . I thoroughly clean clip and run paper clip through center hole and lock other end of clip to my vise . I only heat the backside of clip , starting at bottom and heat till red and move up the clip as it turns red . I make only three to four slow passes . Jeff does a quench where I air cool the clip . Personally I really don’t think there is a right or wrong way , what fits your comfort zone . Satin does appear to work better than stripped painted , and Salt Ti clips are a chore to do . I did experiment ith a Lynspch and think they go to a higher heat range because I could not replicate their Industrial look . Hope this helps . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
barnaclesonaboat

JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:12 pm
Looks awesome!
Hey thanks!! Stoked. The knife is such a beast, been loving it lately.
barnaclesonaboat

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:30 pm
I use a small refillable butane handheld torch found at Menards . My technique is a little different than Jeff’s approach . I thoroughly clean clip and run paper clip through center hole and lock other end of clip to my vise . I only heat the backside of clip , starting at bottom and heat till red and move up the clip as it turns red . I make only three to four slow passes . Jeff does a quench where I air cool the clip . Personally I really don’t think there is a right or wrong way , what fits your comfort zone . Satin does appear to work better than stripped painted , and Salt Ti clips are a chore to do . I did experiment ith a Lynspch and think they go to a higher heat range because I could not replicate their Industrial look . Hope this helps . MG2
Wow! Awesome details, thanks so much. I was really thinking that my heat source needs considerably more power, and even though my stove is wider I don’t think it’s hitting the temps from a torch. I did just let them air cool like you’re describing as opposed to a quench. Great to have your notes on time/speed/heat - I will explore more. Thanks!
barnaclesonaboat

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:30 pm
Image Man, this one turned out so good, too! Great looking fade on the clip over those scales, like a cub brown. Goals.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That turned out fantastic Dan!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Did the quenching or air cooling change the tensile strength or springing strength (?) of the clip?