Bob Lum Chinese Folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jlamb

Bob Lum Chinese Folder?

Post by jlamb »

Was this sprint run not very popular? I have been wanting one for quite some time and I keep putting it off, I notice that most places still have some in stock. Is that strange for a sprint run to last so long? Or am I just confused and the chinese folder isnt even considered a sprint run? I really want one before they are gone, but I bought a couple RATS instead- stupid me!
b.TiMe.

Post by b.TiMe. »

Find one and buy it. A beautiful knife! I use one as my EDC. :)
Rick Grimes

Post by Rick Grimes »

I just dont like the slick handles and there is nothing to stop your hand from sliding up on the blade if stabbing. Although the CF version coming out does look mighty pretty.
4x Delica 4's (standard, Wave w/ dark gray/blue handle, FFG Brown, FFG Blue), Police 3, Barong, Khukuri, CF Caly 3 ZDP, Sage II.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Handles are way too slick for many people. The large G-10 version may open up a whole new world of "user" Lum models, that would be nice. I will buy a large G-10 for sure when they are available.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I haven't found the handle to be too slick. It's a slicer, not a stabber. But it does that oh so very well.

I think this most recent run was on the large side for a sprint run, and a lot of people are FG'ed out. It's a nice shade, though. More silvery than all the FG G-10.

Disclaimer: I like FG (Heck, any non-black) handles. And getting a RAT/ESEE knife is hardly stupid. They're good stuff.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One thing which may have lowered interest in the black ZDP-189 Lum Sprint was the discovery that two more versions, the Moteng exclusives, were going to be available soon.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MCM

Post by MCM »

jlamb wrote:Was this sprint run not very popular? I have been wanting one for quite some time and I keep putting it off, I notice that most places still have some in stock. Is that strange for a sprint run to last so long? Or am I just confused and the chinese folder isnt even considered a sprint run? I really want one before they are gone, but I bought a couple RATS instead- stupid me!

I think after the much anticipated and long awaited ZDP run, the VG10 run kinda languished. Thats a lot of Sprint Lums in a short period.
I bought (2) in ZDP but skipped the next one. Maybe I wasnt alone.

The next (2) new Lums might sell much quicker....... Time will tell.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MCM wrote:I think after the much anticipated and long awaited ZDP run, the VG10 run kinda languished. Thats a lot of Sprint Lums in a short period.
I bought (2) in ZDP but skipped the next one. Maybe I wasnt alone.
+1
You are not alone.
I love Lum Chinese design. I got into Spyderco too late to buy Blue or Green at affordable price and waiting for Black/ZDP for couple years. I wanted Lum Chinese really bad. Bought my share, than got lucky with Green (little under $200). So when new sprint came out I wasn't dying to get it. I saw both models on the local knife show and wasn't impressed. I liked model with coated blade more, it is giving a little different shade to handle, but black blade with Lum Chinese is little too weird for me, so I passed on both. One time they were really inexpensive on e-bay, like $80 shipped.
May be I will buy CF, may be not.....
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
araneae

Post by araneae »

The ZDP run was a sprint put out just before the Moteng distributor special runs which I don't believe you could call a true sprint. With 3 batches coming out in a short while it seems logical that there would be some lingering still.

The fact that more Lums surfaced as protos in the last week surprised me as I would think they might be risking flooding the market.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

In the end, I think that just changing the color of the handle is not enough to generate interest. Add on top of that the fact that the steel was downgraded to VG-10 and you begin to understand why the Moteng Lum was not so popular.
I think the ZDP sold out quite quickly, most major dealers ran out of stock within a few months. Recently some ZDP Lums have re-surfaced, but it is mostly from dealers like Spydieguys who tend to put some of their inventory aside to sell it when everybody else is sold out.
Falco

Post by Falco »

Rick Grimes wrote:I just dont like the slick handles and there is nothing to stop your hand from sliding up on the blade if stabbing. Although the CF version coming out does look mighty pretty.
=O
Is that your real name? Or are you a "Walking Dead" fan? Either way is pretty awesome!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

araneae wrote:The ZDP run was a sprint put out just before the Moteng distributor special runs which I don't believe you could call a true sprint. With 3 batches coming out in a short while it seems logical that there would be some lingering still.
It had to have been a while between releases, not just before -- I started collecting Spydies about a year ago now and the FG Lum was the first (And only) variation I saw offered by dealers. Made me really happy, too, because I'd just about resigned myself to having to pay through the nose to get one on the secondary market when the Moteng run was announced.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
catamount

Post by catamount »

The foliage green Lums were a special run commissioned by a large distributor, and sold only through dealers who do business with them. I think they could've chosen a better color, and the buzz around the original & ZDP versions led them to overestimate sales potential.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
sylwek tyra

Post by sylwek tyra »

Hello
I have one question about Spyderco Lum Chinese.
I'm interested in to know if the dimensions of all kind Spyderco Lum Chinese models is the same?

best regards
Sly
bh49

Post by bh49 »

To the best of my knowledge all Chinese folders made so far are the same size. The difference in the color of handle, steel and blade marking. Also in the last run half of the knives had coated blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sylwek tyra wrote:Hello
I have one question about Spyderco Lum Chinese.
I'm interested in to know if the dimensions of all kind Spyderco Lum Chinese models is the same?

best regards
Sly
Yes, aside from the color of the Almite coating on their aluminum handles, clip color, blade steel, the location of Bob Lum's mark, and some minor differences in hardware, all five versions of the Lum Chinese released up to now are the exact same knife.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!