Spyderco Bushcraft UK - announcement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Spyderco Bushcraft UK - announcement

Post by sal »

I regret to inform you that the Bushcraft UK models just introduced by Spyderco are no longer shipping.

The designers, Chris Claycomb and the chaps at Bushcraft UK did an excellent job on the design. Our maker did an excellent job on manufacture. The problem it turns out is in the wood used for the handle.

The wood that I selected from our USA source was Spalted Maple. It was the most striking wood that the supplier had available. It was my understanding that the material was stabilized and would not shrink once formed. We’d had some problems with some of the prototypes shrinking so I was sensitive to the issue.

We were assured that the wood was stabilized and would not be a problem. The wood was custom cut and prepared in the US and sent to our maker in Taiwan.

We’d been working on the project for a couple of years and really wanted a top drawer piece. When the shipment arrived, we QC’d the run, numbered the collectors and began shipping parts.

A short while later, we noticed, and we had complaints of the wooden handles shrinking and cracking. We spoke with our supplier, who was quite surprised. They said that shouldn’t have happened. They said we should soak the knives in boiled linseed oil and it would solve the problem. We thought we could just wipe off the linseed oil.

After soaking the entire shipment in the linseed oil for more than a week. We still experienced some cracking in some of the pieces. We continued to ship the pieces that appeared ok, but we wrapped them in plastic and left linseed oil on the handle for additional protection.

Then we learned that the linseed oil didn’t easily wipe off. After trying a number of methods, the only thing we found that could actually remove the linseed oil is acetone. Not fun stuff to work with.

At this time, we don’t yet know what we are going to do with the 1000+ finished pieces that will more than likely all crack. The supplier can’t help us, other than to replace the wood. The maker is not responsible as they did a good job.

I would like to extend my apologies to Chris Calycomb and Bushcraft UK, A bummer for sure after all of their efforts.

I would like to extend my apologies to our customers, especially those that have been waiting for the model.

I would like to extend my apologies to our crew that had to mess with all of the attempted “fixes”.

We are considering making another run, once we find a wood that will in fact not shrink.

sal
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Very sorry to read this news. Thank you for the notice.

I like the idea listed below to somehow turn them all into kits like the Mule Team project.

Would it be possilbe to sell them as they exist right now with an extra set of Stabilized wood scales (provided by the wood supplier) incase they shrink or crack? I am certain that it would be more difficult than I am imagining to remove the old scales and install the new ones, but it came to mind.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

That is strange, stabilized wood should neither shrink nor crack... :confused:

A bummer indeed, since this is a considerable loss. I hope you can somehow reuse what's left of the knives to reduce losses.

Ookami
________
AVANDIA LAWYER
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Too bad. Any possibility of rehandling them in a modern material like micarta?
...oh you know why!
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

I must say I am very fortunate to not only have one but one that has no issues with cracking.

It is a great piece and I know you will find a way to make the rest just as awesome.

P.S. I would love to buy one without a handle or a cracked handle to put my own on ;)
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

That is a straight disaster. I feel with you, Sal. After all the effort to avoid JUST THAT, your worst apprehension is happening now. I remember handling the prototype a year or two ago @ the Solingen mini show. Even back then, your main concern was to find wood that would actually not shrink like the material on the prototype already was starting to do.

Now, the question is: is it cheaper to remove the wood from the knives and attach a new handle material to the existing unsold pieces, or start all over with new ones and sell the original run for a reduced price and the straight and clear message that the handles will crack if not treated right or in a special aftermarket way by customers. Heck, I bet it still would make a great user, even with some cracking or shrinkage!? With that in mind, lots of people (including me) would happily buy one (or two) with a discount and be able to put it to use without cringing & fear of ruining a collector's item that cost an arm and a leg.

Problem is, the way I know your mindset, you would prefer making a huge loss rather than knowing knives with your logo being out there that will most likely show blemishes in the years to come, even if that would have been a known issue to the buyer before he even bought it.

MAYBE if the knives would stay in the oil for another year or so, maybe that would help to permanently stabilize the wood?

Dennis
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I applaud Sal's effort to add a visually attractive component to a utilitarian design.
The rather messy handle on my CC# Bushcraft will remind me that daring to try something different and failing often is better than not trying at all. I would not mind seeing more Spydercos with natural material such as the Kiwis and Kopas. Bring 'em on, warts and all.
Hector Castro

Post by Hector Castro »

I just checked the bay, and there are only 3 left on there. I hope we get to see a G-10 or micarta version of this knife!
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Murdoc wrote:MAYBE if the knives would stay in the oil for another year or so, maybe that would help to permanently stabilize the wood?
This will most likely not happen. I tried to explain this in the other thread:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=32

Ookami
________
Oregon medical marijuana dispensary
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Ookami wrote:This will most likely not happen. I tried to explain this in the other thread:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=32

Ookami
Ah, cr*p.

Well, in this case, I'd still buy one and soak it in mineral oil like ballistol to conserve the wood myself ;)

after all, I find the scales breathtakingly beatuiful! If would be a real shame to trash so many of them.

Dennis
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Sal,

Do you think it is possible to recoup some of our investment, by offering the blades you have, as kits?

The sheaths could be use for a future run.

Just one guy thinking...

Marion
Marion David Poff
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Kudos to you Sal and the spyderco team for the effort you put in.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

"The supplier can’t help us, other than to replace the wood."

Since they sold you wood that wasn't properly stabilized knowing it would be for knife handles they should offer you something better imho.

Sorry to see this Sal, hope it works out well in the end.

Sverre
noddy

Post by noddy »

This is agony

I had really got my head round buying one, and tried to only to find my local shop sold out

Hope it sorts out Sal - sell us the blades, if not :)

(Have I got this right, but technically, linseed oil should have no effect on stabilized wood really - mind you I am the world's greatest expert on this subject :lol: )
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

bushcraft kits woild be great. i think spyderco could make lemonade out of the situation at least. kudos to sal for shedding light on the situation
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Are the cracks so bad they make the handle unusable, or is it just a large ugly looking crack. One idea I had would be to sand down the wood to a smaller dia. and wrap the handle in leather. This would still give a more traditional looking knife then G10 or Micarta and be able to salvage the knife.

Just a thought, though it would all depend on how cheap the leather could be acquired.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

It is really a pity as the knife sure looked right. I was dubious about the bag filled with oil but even so it's a knife I would eventually have bought.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Just a thought, but if Sal wanted to offer the Bushcrafts as seconds, I would buy one as a user and save my CC#.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Commiserations over this frustrating series of events. One aspect of constantly innovating is the uncertainty of doing things for the first time.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be interested in buying a blank or second. Never tried 01 before.