ZDP-189 Mule Team MT04P Updated

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

ZDP-189 Mule Team MT04P Updated

Post by TazKristi »

After testing the inventory of the MT04P we have determined the Rc is roughly the same on all of them. We will be reheat treating the MT04P to a lower, more optimal Rc.

We realize that several of you have shown an interest in the higher Rc ZDP-189 Mules, so we will make them available again online for a limited time starting today, through 14-Dec.

Following that the MT04P will be temporarily taken down again and the process to reheat treat will take approximately 4-8 weeks. As soon as we have them back in stock, I'll make another announcement.

Thanx Much!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I originally bought two of these, will it be possible to send one of them in and have it treated to a lower rc?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

BTT

Don't want this to disappear to page 2 cause I know there's some people out there that want the over-cooked version.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

Hey Kristi,

What did they average for hardness?
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I am going to get mine tested soon and see what it is. I've been recovering from severe pnuemonia so I haven't had a chance to rebevel it next to my Stretch FRAn ZDP, which should be close to the 64.5 RC my Stretch CF tested at. If it is harder I should be able to notice it on the stones, but Rockwell testing is the real truth machine. I hope my ZDP stays in one piece, as the beautiful brown canvas micarta handle Tom Krein put on it would be wasted if it cracked. Then again, 67 RC ZDP would be fun to play with.

Mike
JLS

Post by JLS »

How long are they going to be for sale before you pull them back and reprocess them?

I'll be getting one next week, but a few of the guys that bought the Chinese Mules are interested now. They never thought they'd consider a $80 knife blank, but they're getting hooked...fast.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JLS wrote:How long are they going to be for sale before you pull them back and reprocess them?
Way I read it, from yesterday through December 14th.
TazKristi wrote:We realize that several of you have shown an interest in the higher Rc ZDP-189 Mules, so we will make them available again online for a limited time starting today, through 14-Dec.

Following that the MT04P will be temporarily taken down again and the process to reheat treat will take approximately 4-8 weeks. As soon as we have them back in stock, I'll make another announcement.

Thanx Much!

Kristi
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Speaking of Mules, if you search ebay right now for "Spyderco Mule" you'll see all five Mules listed in order.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JLS

Post by JLS »

After I read it carefully, I saw it too Paul. It's that reading carefully thing...gets me every time.
th0m

Post by th0m »

Might this indicate that the MT06 will be available after the 14th?

Gotta get my hands on one this time...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I think that this is all that it indicates:
Assuming I'm reading it carefully enough, after 12/14 you won't be able to order the super-hard MT04P, and you'll have to wait until they've been through the heat treat process again to get an MT04P.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm sort of confused by Spyderco's decision to keep selling the original hardness ZDP Mule. I guess they think the number of warranty claims for broken blades will be low?
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There were a good number of people who really wanted the superhard blades, notwithstanding the risk of breakage. I'm not sure whether Spyderco would still cover these under warranty, since they are known to be subject to breakage. Knowing Spyderco, they probably will, but if they do I would guess they'd be replaced with the less-hard blades if they break (since that's all that there will be after 12/14 unless some of the superhards are reserved for warranty claims).

Personally, at this point, I'd say that a buyer assumes the risk of breakage since it's a known risk, but I certainly am not calling the shots on this one. Perhaps Taz or Sal will post on that.
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

I was under the impression that they were going to be sold as factory seconds, therefore not covered under warranty.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Ben_1323 wrote:I was under the impression that they were going to be sold as factory seconds, therefore not covered under warranty.
That would make sense to me but Kristi's post did not indicate that.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Thank you Sal, Kristi and Spyderco for endulging the interest for original hardness ZDP Mules!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Those sold through 14-Dec are not considered Seconds and will be covered with our standard warranty. However, if there is a warranty issue, any replacement would be with the lower Rc Mule to come later.

Hope this helps.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

I have one of the hard ones, now I want one of the others...

Bring on the Mules...

Marion
Marion David Poff
CaptainBeaky

Post by CaptainBeaky »

Marion David Poff wrote:I have one of the hard ones, now I want one of the others...

Bring on the Mules...

Marion
Excellent! :cool:

So, start process on 14/12, so... [counts on fingers] optimal hardness MT04Ps start shipping mid-Jan - mid-Feb?

Gives me a chance to clear the other stuff on the go at the moment :rolleyes: and find some nice scales. :D
JLS

Post by JLS »

Lately, the kids have been sick and work has been crazy and I just looked at the forums today and realized that it's the 14th!!

I thought for a second that I'd missed it, but I have an order confirmation of a "too hard" Mule. Sweet bliss!