badly finished spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nitromors

badly finished spyderco

Post by nitromors »

so, after all the recommendations i've had from here and across the knife forums AND despite being wary of the seemingly "over-hyped" price tag of the ukpk i finally ordered one from heinnie,
i was initially delighted with the build quality,fit/finish and ergonomics of the knife but after handling it for a little while i kept feeling a rough/jagged edge,
the main pivot bolt appears to have been overtightened to the point of rounding of the torx broach!
now i'm pretty familiar with high quality precision items, omega watch,michell turntable,high end canon cameras and have never come across anything so shoddy before,
the bolt has clearly been tightened to the point where the bit has jumped out and left the rim of the broach witha damaged and jagged edge,

some might think this overly critical but on a pocket knife costing over £100 tbh i'm seriously disappointed and cant help but think that all this hype about spyderco's high standards is complete rubbish and i'm left feeling a little "ripped off"!!

i've NEVER seen anything like this on ANY of the CRKT,SOG and kershaw knives i've had over the years,

quality control? lol!!!

i was planning on buying a military or para-military model soon but have pretty much scrapped that idea now,
i waited ages and sold some of my other knives to buy this so am both disappointed and gutted.

pics,

CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Have you ever bought a new car, only to have it break down on you?

Have you ever made a mistake at work?

Yeah, it sucks, but mistakes are made and sometimes they slip through the cracks and make their way into the hands of the public. That is no reason to give up the whole Spyderco line as a bad job.

Spyderco has been making knives for over 20 years and is still in business, so obviously most of the owners are pretty happy. Mistakes are made, but that is part of manufacturing and part of life. It stinks for you that you were on the receiving end.

Now, I'm assuming you bought the knife from a dealer. Contact them about an exchange, for Pete's sake.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

CombatGrappler wrote:Contact them about an exchange, for Pete's sake.
i've never had problems with fit and finish on any of my 10 spyderco knives.

i agree, contact the dealer and ask for a refund or exchange.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

wow nothing like jumping off the handel there friend. obviously your omega watch taste is to good to have ever made a mistake . how do you know that dint happen after it left spyderco? eh ?

Class act buddy.
JaM

Post by JaM »

^^ what they said.

Or maybe :spyder: themselves can do something. Tried contacting warranty and repair ?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If this is the worst issue you ever have with a knife, consider yourself fortunate. As has already been noted, contacting the dealer who sold it to you would have been a better use of your time than the double posting here.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yikes!

I can definitely agree that is substandard quality. What you have there is more the exception rather than the norm. I know it can be a hassle and inconvenience, but sending it in will rectify your problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
nitromors

Post by nitromors »

oh right so i shouldnt dare to criticize your beloved brand on a forum named "spyderco general discussion" LOL!!

and when buying supposed high quality items i should be prepared for low quality fit and finish?

ok....right...lol,

i was hoping for an intelligent explanation from sal or someone else at spyderco tbh,
not some "mardy arsed" collectors getting in a huff and telling me i should just accept it and send it back!

the double post was just to show how much smoke i'd had blown up my *** before buying it,

i'll speak to heinnie tomorow am and see if i can exchange it for a better quality knife like a sog or benchmade,

cheers for rubbing salt into the wound,
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

OMG a stripped screw. The Spyderco quality control guys should go ahead and shoot themselves right now. Worthless bunch.

Seriously, come on. Bad luck, and even worse it happened on your first spidie, especially as you explicitly warned them earlier that "[..] the ukpk better be of as high a quality as you cats say it is![...]" in the other thread,

...but obviously, most other UKPK screws out there are fine, or you would already have seen lots of complaints about it from other UKPK owners.

That said and while (seriously) I understand your concern, three constructive reactions:

(1) Send the knife back to Heinnie and tell them they should better hurry up and send you a new one without stripped screws (whoever stripped it in the first place)

(2) Contact Spyderco to recieve a new screw

(3) Send the thing to Golden to have the screw replaced or let them exchange the whole knife for a new one while they're at it.

If you ask me, (1) is the way to go. No international shipping, fast turnaround time, and actually the first thing that comes to mind (apart from maybe giving them a call before).
Although your first contact with a Spydie was less than perfect for you, maybe giving them a second chance will pay off in the long run.

Good luck!

Dennis

EDIT: Just read your last post. Well, you choose. If a stripped screw (what made you so sure that it left Spyderco factory that way?) is enough reason for you to turn down a brand that obviously is seen as one that puts out some of the best quality production knives out there, go ahead. But don't expect everybody to support you by acting what seems to some people as small-minded. Hey, since that "[...]much smoke i'd had blown up my *** before buying it[...]", you shouldn't give up so fast.

And whow, are you serious that the CEO of a company should immediately chime in and comment (intelligently!!) about a STRIPPED SCREW that maybe wasn't even messed up by his company in the first place? They WILL make it right if you let them, but your attitude is not helping a bit here.
nitromors

Post by nitromors »

sixheads wrote:wow nothing like jumping off the handel there friend. obviously your omega watch taste is to good to have ever made a mistake . how do you know that dint happen after it left spyderco? eh ?

Class act buddy.

an omega would never make it through quality control with a glaring fault like that.

the knife arrived with the film wrap on the box intact!!!!

so i'm not allowed to be disappointed?
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

? film wrap ? how come i never got a box film wrapped?
do spydies come film wrapped? OT i know sorry

edit: and from the title, i would've thought your knife was seriously buggered up
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For all any of us know, you could have messed up that screw yourself. Or it could have been messed up by some other buyer, returned to Heinnie, then sold to you. Whining on a forum doesn't solve a problem. Contacting the dealer or manufacturer through normal channels does. Assuming the product of any given manufacturer will be perfect 100% of the time is unreasonable. Buy enough William Henry or Chrs Reeve knives and you'll get an off one. But hey, I'm just a "mardy arsed collector" so what do I know.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nitromors

Post by nitromors »

Murdoc wrote:OMG a stripped screw. The Spyderco quality control guys should go and shoot themselves right now. Worthless bunch.

Seriously, come on. Bad luck, and even worse it happened on your first spidie, especially as you explicitly warned them earlier that "[..] the ukpk better be of as high a quality as you cats say it is![...]",

...but obviously, most other UKPK screws out there are fine, or you would already have seen lots of complaints about it from other UKPK owners.

That said and while (seriously) I understand your concern, three constructive reactions:

(1) Send the knife back to Heinnie and tell them they should better hurry up and send you a new one without stripped screws (whoever stripped it in the first place)

(2) Contact Spyderco to recieve a new screw

(3) Send the thing to Golden to have the screw replaced or a exchanging the whole knife for a new one while they're at it.

If you ask me, (1) is the way to go. No international shipping, fast turnaround time, and actually the first thing that comes to mind (apart from giving them a call first maybe).
Although your first contact with a Spydie was less than perfect for you, maybe giving them a second chance will pay off in the long run.

Good luck!

Dennis
thanks for the intelligent reply and for not getting your knickers in a twist over that fact that i had the sheer audacity to even contemplate criticizing spyderco!
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

nitromors wrote:thanks for the intelligent reply and for not getting your knickers in a twist over that fact that i had the sheer audacity to even contemplate criticizing spyderco!
You're not the first. Other people have received sub-standard knives due to various reasons, and I'm pretty sure that these problems have been rectified by going through the proper channels. If you follow the suggestions, you will end up with the perfect knife you are looking for. (many collectors go through a coupla knives before finding a keeper)

btw I just bought a Stretch FRN after reading stackloads of shining reviews about it, but am going to send it to Golden because of an apparent heat-treat issue
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
nitromors

Post by nitromors »

The Deacon wrote:For all any of us know, you could have messed up that screw yourself. Or it could have been messed up by some other buyer, returned to Heinnie, then sold to you
so now you're accusing me of damaging it?!!!!!
as i said had you actually read my reply, the box was SEALED with clear film,

and because i received a sub standard product and was disappointed and wanted an explanation i'm "whining"??

jog on you muppet.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

nitromors wrote:an omega would never make it through quality control with a glaring fault like that.

the knife arrived with the film wrap on the box intact!!!!

so i'm not allowed to be disappointed?

I am sorry for my harsh post . But it is very unusual that someone comes on here and laughs at spydercos quality controll and i was a little upset. Now i can imagine how you feel but i can asure you that is not the norm. I have very limeted funds and when i buy a knife it means alot to me and i only have spydercos (personal prferance) and my sage 1 ,caly 3 , and the few others are top notch.

Once again i dint mean to insult you.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

I think this whole thread should be closed. There's no need for this kind of thing; not everything can be perfect. Spyderco has one of the top Customer Service departments I've ever seen, I'm sure they would have sorted this out for you.

Let's just all calm down, that PB&J forum knife is seeming awfully sweet right about now.
may it not be tricksy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Dealer list in the UK:

http://www.spyderco.com/dealers/index.p ... ED+KINGDOM

Your dealer?:

http://www.heinnie.com/contact.asp?s=pzpfd2690630&

I'm not seeing they are a Spyderco dealer. You might ask them:

1.) If they are a dealer and Spyderco just hasn't updated their page.

2.) Who they bought the knife from via this unconventional channel.

Goodluck...
tpro68

Post by tpro68 »

Nitromors,
I obviously cannot speak for Spyderco. I would be disappointed. It seems that the tone of this forum has become somewhat defensive since the unforeseen success of the 2009 forum knife. Everyone that I have dealt with at Spyderco has been top drawer. I suspect you will get more satisfaction from the company than you have here from the fans. Pax.
nitromors

Post by nitromors »

Kuolema wrote:I think this whole thread should be closed. There's no need for this kind of thing;

it should be closed because i said something negative about spyderco?!!!

you are joking right? lol!

what sort of thing?
a disappointed,unhappy customer that voiced his opinion?