Pro Venator or Spur

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tpro68

Pro Venator or Spur

Post by tpro68 »

I bought a knife on ebay that came in a Spur box, but looks like a Pro Venator with Carbon Fiber inserts and plain clip. I am new to Spydercos and am afraid I have been a bit gung-ho on ebay. These are the tightest knives I've used. I've got a used Spur and it is shorter and has a thinner blade than the Pro Venator. The carbon fiber "Spur" measures 3 7/8 closed. The blade is 2 7/8 and is 1/8 thick. The blade is G-2 Stainless. Is there any way to be sure of what I have? Thanks. Pro
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

I watched that one go by on eBay. It's definitely a C13 Pro Grip II (aka Pro Venator) but the carbon fiber handle inserts are an aftermarket modification that someone made to the knife (probably to replace a worn Kraton insert). That knife would have originally come from Spyderco with stainless steel handles (one with a black Kraton inlay) and black Kraton on the pocket clip. There's nothing wrong with being a bit "gung-ho", but it always pays to do a little research to make sure that you know what you are buying. The Pro Grip II (and the C32 Spur too, for that matter) is a great knife. I've had one for years and have used it often for hunting. Built like a tank.

(Image credit to Spyderco)

Here's a great image (courtesy of my friend Paul Beretta) where you can see the Pro Grip II and the Spur in the same image. The Pro Grip II is the third knife down from the top. The C04 Spur is the second knife from the bottom. It's a direct descendant of the C04 Executive right below it (note the handle shapes):

><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
tpro68

Thanks.

Post by tpro68 »

Thanks for the pics and explanation. Reading the forum and looking at the knives has been a blast. Tank is a good description. These 1/8" blades with no play are great for all kinds of work. Some of you have serious investments here. I hope to pick up just a few solid knives. LOL.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Welcome to the Forum! If you're looking for a "solid" knife, you've already found one in the C13 Pro Grip II!
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Matt, you saw the auction listing and I didn't, so perhaps the quality of the installation may preclude this, but it's worth mentioning. If the CF insert looked professionally done, there is an outside chance it was done by the maker. G Sakai did up some Pro-Grips for their own retail store with upgraded inserts. I've seen cocobolo and MOP, actually owned a cocobolo one for a while, and recall hearing there were "others" as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Paul:

Since the knife is back up for sale on eBay by the originator of this thread, I hope that he won't mind me posting a link so that you can see the knife in question. The CF insert is well done indeed, but what made me suspicioius of an aftermarket mod was the fact that the Kraton had been entirely removed from the clip (the bare clip features holes that used to give the Kraton something to hold to). Of course what's not to say that the CF insert wasn't a G. Sakai product and some later owner just removed the Kraton?

CF Pro Venator
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd tend to agree with you Matt. Definitely well done, but the clip being the way it is reduces the chances it's Sakai's work considerably. On a completely different note, am sure the folks looking to have the Kraton inserts on original Stretches replaced would love to know who did the CF on that Pro-V.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

The Deacon wrote:On a completely different note, am sure the folks looking to have the Kraton inserts on original Stretches replaced would love to know who did the CF on that Pro-V.
Yeah, wouldn't that type of insert look great on an original Stretch? Of course the "landing pad" complicates it somewhat, but still..... :cool:
austrian_spyder_fan

Re:

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

The CoPilot wrote:
Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 pm
I watched that one go by on eBay. It's definitely a C13 Pro Grip II (aka Pro Venator) but the carbon fiber handle inserts are an aftermarket modification that someone made to the knife (probably to replace a worn Kraton insert). That knife would have originally come from Spyderco with stainless steel handles (one with a black Kraton inlay) and black Kraton on the pocket clip. There's nothing wrong with being a bit "gung-ho", but it always pays to do a little research to make sure that you know what you are buying. The Pro Grip II (and the C32 Spur too, for that matter) is a great knife. I've had one for years and have used it often for hunting. Built like a tank.

(Image credit to Spyderco)

Here's a great image (courtesy of my friend Paul Beretta) where you can see the Pro Grip II and the Spur in the same image. The Pro Grip II is the third knife down from the top. The C04 Spur is the second knife from the bottom. It's a direct descendant of the C04 Executive right below it (note the handle shapes):

Hello CoPilot
Please can you name all knifes on this image from bottom to top?
austrian_spyder_fan

Re: Pro Venator or Spur

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I still found the discription on Paul Berettas site.
:D