Poll: New MBC Design

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Who would you like to design the next MBC knife?

Michael Janich (Yojimbo, Ronin)
22%
James A. Keating (Chinook)
8%
Chad Los Banos (Lava)
11%
Bram Frank (Gunting)
3%
Shivworks (P'Kal)
11%
Ed Schempp (Persian, Kris)
7%
Sal Glesser (ATR, Lil' Temperence)
24%
Other
16%

Total votes: 119

Shenmue728

Poll: New MBC Design

Post by Shenmue728 »

If you were to pick the next designer for another Martial Blade Craft design by Spyderco, who would it be? I have included a few of the colab. artists and a few of their offerings.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
KamSingh

Post by KamSingh »

Ernie Emerson
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

KamSingh wrote:Ernie Emerson
A Emerson/Spydie would be cool...

I'd like to see more CLB designs... however, I do not consider the Lava to be a "MBC" or SD or fighting or anything like that

I voted for Janich... I like wharncliffes

(And dont forget Keating did the Civilian also)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I think we need some more Ed Schempp stuff and some more Sal stuff. :D

Of course I don't do MBC so it really doesn't matter for me.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

I vote for Fred Perrin. The Street Beat and large Perrin FB are ingeniously designed knives, IMHO.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Ed Schempp

Fred Perrin

Post by Ed Schempp »

Has has three sizes of a folder design well developed at this time. Freds designs have to fly in the legal context of his residence, Paris. Fred usually prefers smaller knives that are more NKP friendly and designed to meet a reasonable function in relationship to possesion on the streets of Paris, and they have good tactical efficiency. Fred is a very personable gentleman as well as a very experienced tactics instructor....Take Care...Ed
feeny

Yuna?

Post by feeny »

Some of the most well thought out MBC designs I have come across are from Yun - lovely bloke and his work has alot of attention paid to MBC... he also gets a fair bit of input and feedback from Amoks around the world that he implements in his designs.

See some of his stuff here: http://www.yunaknives.com
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Ed Schempp wrote:Has has three sizes of a folder design well developed at this time. Freds designs have to fly in the legal context of his residence, Paris. Fred usually prefers smaller knives that are more NKP friendly and designed to meet a reasonable function in relationship to possesion on the streets of Paris, and they have good tactical efficiency. Fred is a very personable gentleman as well as a very experienced tactics instructor....Take Care...Ed
Thanks, Ed. Are these three designs in the works for Spyderco, or are they Fred's custom works?
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Ed Schempp

Freds folder designs.

Post by Ed Schempp »

I don't know what Sal and Eric have planned. I have no inside information. I just know that Fred is prepared, and that he is a gentleman. Those traits always go good with the Spyderco business plan.

The economy is rough and the yen hit 93 today. My guess is that Spyderco being a surviver will make appropriate choices in the opperation of the company. That will probably mean a cut back in product development along with all other departments. Many commitments are long term and have to be honored, Spyderco always does that first. So chances are good if you are patient...Take Care...Ed
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I'd like to see a nice sub-hilt fighter designed by Tactical Wizard Chad Los Banos....Yeaaaaah!!!!....Doc ;)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i voted for the Yojimbo, i dont own one but from ive heard & how cool it looks its one of a kind !
Th232

Post by Th232 »

A vote for Chad or Fred Perrin, something compact and NKP-friendly would be very nice given our current laws Down Under.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Fred Perrin, like his Jaws... Or some sort of wharncliffe...

Steve Ryan of Biohazard Knives..... He had a Tactical Leuku looking thing, beautiful.
Marion David Poff
ldun33

Ed Schempp

Post by ldun33 »

Gets my vote
JD Spydo

Too many great choices

Post by JD Spydo »

There are so many excellent names up there that I just can't narrow it down to one. Chad Los Banos has always been a friend and very valued Forum member and a big proponent of Hawkbills. Sal Glesser's designs are some of my all time favorites too. Then you have Bram Frank with his legendary Gunting and other designs.

I'm sorry I just can't pick just one designer. That's like putting me in a store full of high end Swiss made watches and asking me to pick one right now without even having time to look, compare and think long and hard on it.

It's like I'm a kid in a Russell STover's Candy store. I just dont know which one to pick first :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
markg

Post by markg »

In reality, a few of the designers are "affiliated" with other companies at this point and a new collaboration would be unlikely (eg. Janich, Frank, and CLB).

Of the remaining... Give me more Skivworks baby!!!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Yeah, a Shiv works production clinch pic would be nice! :D
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:I voted for Sal, because I LOVE my ATR's, and he did an AWESOME job on them, and I WANT THEM TO COME BACK :D :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
sal

Post by sal »

I think that Fred Perrin should be on the poll. He's one of the few that actually teaches MBC and designs (and makes) his own knives.

For those interested, we do have a new Perrin folder in-the-works. A beautiful design with Fred's own variation of an existing lock concept.

While I wouldn't make any promises, and many of Blackhawk's designs are from Michael Janich. I believe the J-Song design Michael is working on is quite nice. I would also be interested to see what his "upgraded" Yojimbo design would look like now.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No offense to any of the other world class trainers and designers. I've just had better luck with Spyderco's designed by Sal, and Eric. Once again, no offense meant to anybody. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"