Tenacious rusting :(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gijins

Tenacious rusting :(

Post by Gijins »

SO i got my tenacious about a week ago. verry pleased at fisrt,solid lockup,sharp and seemes like a good knife. But after a week of just playing with it, no real use at all, im seeing rust specs all over the blade. no particular area were ide make contact more often, just little orange specs everywere. i take care of my knives, well oiled and sharp all the time, never get wet without a thurough drying and oiling.

So ide imagine this is my fault one way or another, but does this blade material realy rust that easily??
Im trying to love spyderco but im finding it harder and harder after problems with both spyderco knives ive purchased. :(
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That is odd. I've got half a dozen Byrds as well as a Tenacious and I don't recall ever seeing a speck of rust on any of them. Since my general care regimen is basically wipe off the big chunks on my pantleg an put it back in my pocket for next time, I don't really think the steel is generally prone to rust. Just out of curiousity, what are you oiling with?
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Gijins

Post by Gijins »

Im using some browing all purpose oil, for guns and stuff
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

I have some Byrds , Crow and 3 Robins, the steel is good. No Marks no rust. One of my Robins has a chip out of the blade because i used it as a screw driver and it also has a rounded tip because it was the one i learned to use my sharpmaker with. The serrations are still razer sharp no rolling.

I would talk to the spydie Fix it folks I have no experince with them but i hear there top notch.

Sixheads
GeorgeMaggos

Welcome! : )

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Hello Gijins,

welcome to the :spyder: forum & I hope you stick around :) Can you please post some photos of the knife to help us to see what you are talking about? Thanks ;)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

hmm...Spyderco and rust in the same sentence? :eek: :confused: All I can say is that i have not seen rust on any of my several dozens of Spydercos and Byrds...pics would be helpful. Welcome! :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

The first day that i carried my tenacious in my waste band it also rusted in a small area on the blade. Keep in mind i live in Az, work outside and sweat a lot. My sebenza will do the same thing if i keep it in my waste band all day. A good polish compound will usually rub the rust right off.
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Yea, my Crossbill has some rust specks and all I did was cut up some hotdogs to fish with.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Gijins

Post by Gijins »

my camera is too crappy to focus in on the tiny rusties,sry.
Henry1960

Post by Henry1960 »

Gijins wrote:SO i got my tenacious about a week ago. verry pleased at fisrt,solid lockup,sharp and seemes like a good knife. But after a week of just playing with it, no real use at all, im seeing rust specs all over the blade. no particular area were ide make contact more often, just little orange specs everywere. i take care of my knives, well oiled and sharp all the time, never get wet without a thurough drying and oiling.

So ide imagine this is my fault one way or another, but does this blade material realy rust that easily??
Im trying to love spyderco but im finding it harder and harder after problems with both spyderco knives ive purchased. :(

First thing: I own 50 + :spyder: and never had a rust promblem.

Secound : I f your :spyder: is well oiled i truley do not understand why your knives are rusting, unless you are in a swimming pool with them :eek:
Henry

My Wife Say`s I Buy One More Spydie She`s Going To Divorce Me....God I`m Going To Miss Her!!! :rolleyes:
Gijins

Post by Gijins »

well oiled meaning every other night i cover the blade in oil and do what i can to keep it from wiping off(easier said than done). theres no doubt its my fault it rusted but i expected it to be harder to rust a spidey then that. ah well
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not saying it is likely, but it is possible that the oil is attracting dust which is in turn wicking moisture to the blade. It is also possible that something in your body chemistry is causing a reaction, like my skin oils seem to dissolve Kraton rubber. My skin oils are ferocious enough that I had to switch from gold frames to titanium frames on my glasses, as the gold would develop pits in a couple of months. :o And yet, I seldom get rust spots on my stainless knives. Heck, even carbon steel blades require only an occasional Flitz Metal Polish treatment to keep them rust-free.

It might be best to pack up your knife as-is and send it to the experts in Golden to see if they can determine what is causing it.
mserr

Post by mserr »

my endura came with this little orange spot which i passed off for a stain rather than rust in the jimping. Could it be rust after all? Should I be concerned or contact spyderco?
Shike

Post by Shike »

Only problem I have had with a :spyder: was a AUS8 steel Endura that I had to bring into play during a fishing trip. After cleaning a few Flounder I rinsed and wiped dry. By the time I got home about 3 hours later there were a few rust spot on the blade that I was able to clean off with Flitz. Don't know if it was the fish blood or salt water or both. Also happened with a SS Ruger SP101 that I carried inside the waist band in a very thin holster. Salt is a no-no, so if you sweat a lot you might want to use a better protectant on the blade.
Regards

Shike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is more likely to be residue from laser cutting the jimping than actual rust, especially if it is a copper color rather than rust red. I've noted such discoloration on several of my knives in the jimping and lockwells especially.
Hookpunch

Post by Hookpunch »

My Raven developed some rust spots, it is the same steel as the Tenacious. I just used some cream cleanser to remove them....other than that the performance of the blade is excellent, I can live with a bit of rust for the other qualities of the blade.
Welcome to the addiction
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have a Tenacious and about 10 Byrds. No problems with rust though. I do not oil the blades or give them any extra care.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
v8r

Post by v8r »

My knives rust a little due to my skin ph.I just try to keep them wiped off . Not Spyderco's fault, mine.They used to call me Captain Corrosive at my old job for good reason :eek: ,maybe you should invest in a H1 knife,and I bet your problems would be over. :)
tangent

Post by tangent »

I think all knives will rust a little under certain conditions...I guess this is why I like the Salt series of knives so much...no rust, period.
DRod

Post by DRod »

My G10 Flight hasn't rusted at all. I have a Tenacious in the mail too, dont get me worried. lol.

I also just found my ZDP Caly Jr thats been AWOL for a few months, and the ZDP is still clean and shiny. I had heard it likes to rust sometimes too.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947