Mule Hardness!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
dpsmith

Mule Hardness!

Post by dpsmith »

We have a Rockwell hardness tester in our shop at work. I was in there enlarging the scale holes to 3/16" before shipping it to Ray for some G10 scales. So, I decided to test the Mule hardness while I was at it and it scored a 63! I tested it behind the spydie hole on the tang. I only tested it once so no replication, but man this steel is hard. I could not bear to pockmark it any more. I quess it is one stubborn Mule :D .

For comparison, I tested a VG10 Delica a while back and it scored a 53.

Ray, if you read this and wondered what that dimple was, now you know.
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

dpsmith wrote:We have a Rockwell hardness tester in our shop at work. I was in there enlarging the scale holes to 3/16" before shipping it to Ray for some G10 scales. So, I decided to test the Mule hardness while I was at it and it scored a 63! I tested it behind the spydie hole on the tang. I only tested it once so no replication, but man this steel is hard. I could not bear to pockmark it any more. I quess it is one stubborn Mule :D .

For comparison, I tested a VG10 Delica a while back and it scored a 53.

Ray, if you read this and wondered what that dimple was, now you know.
I think a Rc 62 was a target for a mule steel, according to Sal. However, yoy should repeat your measurement at least once in order to have a sensible result.
If your Delica really have Rc 53 for VG-10 then it would be a lemon. I am afraid that there is a HT inconsistency by Spyderco. Maybe, it could be a reason they refuse to publish Rc data for their products.

Franco
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
dpsmith

Post by dpsmith »

Franco thanks for the reply. It is good to know that the mule is close to the target Rc value. I had not seen that target value before. I only tested the Mule in 1 spot because I did not want to dimple mark it too much. The scales will be removable and I plan to swap them to future runs.

I may not be remembering the Delica Rc value correctly. It was some time ago. I will have to retest it out of curiosity next time I have some shop time. I also plan to test my ZDP Delica. Do you know what the target was for the ZDP Delica?
Franco G

Post by Franco G »

According to Sal, Rc 64/65 for ZDP-189. Some people measured, in that range. Even Rc66.
Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

I have checked my first Delica, an older AUS-8 model, and it was Rc 58.
I would say that you are probably correct about your memory of the Rc of your Delica. If it was that low, you would have noticed a problem in edge retention. Do you have a problem with this?

Bruceter
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I plan on testing my Mule, and it is nice to see a 63 as 1 measurement so far. My S30V Spydercos came in at 58 RC, with all of my VG 10 but one coming in at 59 RC. A Byrd came in at 60 RC, and my ZDP Endura was 63 RC (it sharpens nice and holds an edge well for being so soft!). It will be interesting to see what the CPM M4 Mule comes in at. I plan on having my Krein Ultimate Caper in CPM M4 RC tested to see what Paul Bos heat treats that steel to.

Mike
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

gunmike1 wrote:I plan on testing my Mule, and it is nice to see a 63 as 1 measurement so far. My S30V Spydercos came in at 58 RC, with all of my VG 10 but one coming in at 59 RC. A Byrd came in at 60 RC, and my ZDP Endura was 63 RC (it sharpens nice and holds an edge well for being so soft!). It will be interesting to see what the CPM M4 Mule comes in at. I plan on having my Krein Ultimate Caper in CPM M4 RC tested to see what Paul Bos heat treats that steel to.

Mike
hi Mike, any "independent" Rc testing on H-1 blades :confused:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dpsmith

Post by dpsmith »

I can test my Atlantic Salt I am curious about it now.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

jaislandboy wrote:hi Mike, any "independent" Rc testing on H-1 blades :confused:

Not that I've had done for me, as I have no H1. Which reminds me, I really need a Pacific Salt with a Krein regrind. The problem in testing H1 would be finding a flat spot on the edge to test, I would think. Since it work hardens at the edge (or where it is reground), that should be much harder than the rest of the blade, but actually getting the machine a spot to test on the edge would be difficult, I would think.

Mike